question about Ultram

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by loto, Nov 4, 2009.

1. loto

loto Member

Hi all.
    My doctor prescribed me Ultram yesterday to help the vicodin 7.5 keep my pain at a tolerable level.
    Anyone else take this combination of pain meds? I know Ultram is NOT a narcotic, thank goodness. Don't need 2 narcotics!
    Anyway, I haven't picked the Ultram up yet to see how it will work for me.
    Just wondering if anyone else takes both of these meds for their pain, and if it helps, and if it makes them really sleepy or anything??

2. debilyn

debilyn New Member

Hi Lori,

I take Ultram and Norco (same as Vicodin but with less tylenol). What I do is alternate. I take Ultram in the morning and at bedtime and Norco during the day. Sometimes I will add an Ultram to the Norco in the afternoon if I'm really feeling badly. It doesn't make me any sleepier than the Norco does. I also take a small amount of MS Contin (time released morphine sulfate) three times a day. It's the combo that has enabled me to keep my job; at least for now I'm still working full-time.

Hope this info helps some.

3. kat211

kat211 New Member

Ultram didn't work for me. It gave me gas and bloating and that's about it. But then again Vicodin didn't work very well for me either. I hope it works for you without the side effects. Let us know. I have been taking amitiptaline (generic for Elavil) and it has brought me down from and 8 to a 6 for the most part unless I am having a really bad day. I am THRILLED to be at a 6. Good luck.
  4. loto

loto Member

ultram and tramadol are narcotic-like medications.

BTW Jam, I think you're the one that gave me advice on my thyroid levels. I finally go to see a thyroid doc next week. I hope I can get some thorough answers on my results then! I'll let you know what she says.

5. loto

loto Member

I do have my lab tests. And I hope she will get down to business!!!! I'm actually seeing the Nurse Practitioner of the thyroid doc, but am told that she consults him with everyone she sees. They told me he isn't taking new patients right now, so I'm seeing her. Which doesn't really make sense, if she consults him with every patient. But, whatever, if she just kind of "blows me off" like it's no big deal I'll look for someone else. May have to do a little traveling to find someone, but at this point I'll go anywhere!!
  6. loto

loto Member

TSH is 3.580

T4 is 7.5

T3 Uptake is 31

Free Thyroxine Index is 2.3

Thyroglobulin Quant is 19.4
    Antithyroglubulin is <20
    Thyroid Peroxidase is 11

I have no idea what those last 3 things mean. But that's all that is stated on my results from the lab.
  7. loto

loto Member

I haven't posted on that website yet.
    I figured I wasn't getting the correct tests done! I'll be sure to ask this other doc to do another test. I've just written myself a note to take with me to the appt.

thanks again for your help!
  8. SwatWife525

SwatWife525 New Member

Is non-narcotic.

If I keep them in my system, they work well for me. I take Oxycodone for break through pain.

The Tramadol doesn't make me sleepy at all. Unfortunately the Flexaril does though.

Hope you have many good days soon!!
  9. loto

loto Member

this morning i went to my gyno for some pain in my lower ab, and terrible, shooting pain when urinate. So, he did urine test and exam of all my privates! Anyway, I have no infection whatsoever anywhere! Then after a while he asked me why I don't seem to be acting like my normal self. I was so surprised because I've only known this doctor for about 7 months! So he asked me if I have thyroid problems, and I happened to have my thyroid results with me and showed him. He seemed to think they looked ok, but I told him about my appt with thyroid doc on Tuesday. Then he asked me if I have hot flashes and I told him I do, at least once a day. So, he took some blood to test my hormone levels, to see if my partial hyst I had this past July sent me into menopause already. Man, I hope not! Or do I? I don't know what I hope for, I guess just some frickin answers to all this crap that is going on with me all at once! And, I want some frickin meds to do something!!!!!!!!!!
    Sorry, for that, I'm just really frustrated and tired of trying to figure everything out. Even my daughter told my husband that something is wrong with me lately. Now I know something is if she said that!
    So next week I'll have the results of my hormone tests.

PS, it's supposed to be 70 degrees and sunny all weekend where I live. I'm looking so forward to it, I think I'll spend the whole time walking or sitting outside. May even stay away from everyone!

PITATOO Member

I have been on Ultram for 14 years or so and it has saved my life and kept me working full time plus. Now I had to get a new Dr. in Ohio and have had her since last March - I take 2/50 mg 3x a day and have been for 14 years. My last refill she called in was for 60 pills for a month. I saw her Monday and said I was taking too many. I asked her what her plan was then to help with the pain(I have had FMS/CFIDS and severe Osteoarthritis for 16 years), did she have a cure, something else, she argued with me that it was a narcotic, I told her to read the PDR, the only issue which can be severe is that it raises your seratonin and dompamine which both make you feel better and I know that's part of why it works so well for me. I have since read horror stories of people trying to get off of ultram and have went back to be nearly; if not totally bedridden. Very frustrating. I kept my home in Michigan as a summer home and made an appointment with the Dr. who first diagnosed me and have him take over my care and just find someone else local for the occasional infection etc. I was just fuming. Plus a few months ago she wrote the script out to be 250mg, yeah she knows a lot about ultram, and she put down 2 a day. It took me 10 minutes to explain that I take it 3 x a day, 2 of them and 50mg. Then I called another Dr. in the area that someone at my work goes to for his severe injuries to his back and arthritis, they told me yes to come in but they do not prescribe pain meds, well why would I go in unless they had a cure for FMS/CFIDS - it's amazing. I live in Ohio near the border of Penn. maybe it's just the Dr.'s in this area, but I don't think so. Plus becuase she would only write my scripts for a month I can't take advantage of sending in a 1 year script to my insurance company and they send me 3 months worth at a time, that would be a savings of almost 1200.00 a year. not including the extra co pays for the Dr's once a month and trying to get away from work. Do they have an "Angie's list for Dr's"? You know where you post and rate them. I see my old Dr. next Thrusday in Michigan and I'm sure he'll help me. Again I would love to be drug free, but I am not on any other pain killer besides ultram and I'm getting worse year by year with the Osteoarthritis part - Just me venting - THanks, Bob
  11. cpdwife1519

cpdwife1519 New Member

I take both but my primary gave me the vicodin. I take 550s and I need 750s..
    I take 50mg of ultram up to 2x day....I really dont see a diff w/it! do you?
  12. hensue

hensue New Member

taking the generic made me sleepy and tired. The regular ultram gives me a little energy and helps the pain.
    I only take it with my wellbutrin.

I go to a pain clinic to get it.

13. sunkenhero

sunkenhero New Member

it is partial opiate agonist. It is synthetically different from other full opaite agonists plus it affects seratonin and norepinephrin. for this reason it is not a scheduled/controlled medicine.
    I have been on 100mg SR for 1 year. it is not really doing much for me now. So i went to a pain managment dr to c about other meds and he says it is one of the most difficult drugs for people to get off of-probably due to the antidepressant properties combined.
    he is suggesting I try subutex. however when I google that i am hearing absolute horror stories about people trying to detox off of that.
    there is no magic pill. a really hard reality to swallow
  14. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Tramadol has been a life saver for me. I can't tolerate narcotics nor do they help me. 100 mgs. per day, if I read your post correctly is a low dose. My script says I can take 2 50 mgs. up to three times a day. I get 90 pills per month but usually do not run out until after a month and a half.

I have been off Tramadol for 5-7 days at a time with no withdrawals. I don't have any side effects. But that is my reaction.

For breakthrough pain I can take Tylenol but I don't do that often. My pain can get severe and this at least gives me have a more functional life. However, it does not help with my exhaustion.

Take care and let us know how you do on Ultram and how your thyroid checks out.

ETA I really wanted to go on the extended release but insurance would not cover that.

[This Message was Edited on 01/14/2010]
    [This Message was Edited on 01/14/2010]
  15. loto

loto Member

That new doctor needs to read up on meds, doesn't she???
    I definitely would not go back to her!!
    I'm glad the ultram helps you.

16. loto

loto Member

the ultram just didn't do too much for me, and i was concerned about the possible problems it could cause me because i take cymbalta.
    I'm sticking to the Vicodin 7.5 and nothing else (except for the cymbalta at nite, also.)
    So far it's the only pain med that keeps me going and keeps me working!

17. loto

loto Member

I stopped the ultram, and still haven't gotten anywhere about my thyroid! haven't gone to another doctor to get more opinions about it.

At the moment I'm dealing with my lower abdomen probs and waiting to see a urologist feb. 2.
    I'm also getting ready to have 8 spots removed from my back to get checked out because I have a history of melanoma. That will be next month also. I'll get around to getting my thyroid thorougly checked out sometime!!! It just seems there's always something going on, and I can't focus on all of it at one time. It's so exhausting!!!!

18. Sonny1

Sonny1 New Member

My rhumy said the same thing a few years ago. I was taking up to eight per day , had a pretty good quality of life. Now I have three a day. I'm in bed now just to save them for something I " have to" do . I'm pretty angry that I know there is help and I just can't have it.