Question about upper back and neck pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Empower, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Empower

Empower New Member

I have fms and myofasica pain syndrome

About 4 weeks ago, the pain really deepened and the stiffness, which had previously subsided as the day went on, is lasting all day

I saw a pain doc, and she gave me an injection in trigger point - relief only lasted about 1 week

I am starting to feel like there is something new going the pain is a deep crushing pain and the all day stiffness is new

Any thoughts?? I am going to another pain doc who specializes in fibro and is a neurologist in about 4 weeks, but I am anxious until then
  2. cmt49829

cmt49829 New Member

I am guessing it it just may be the fm progressing.
    I know I am worse more often than I was 5 years ago.

I hope they can give you some releif.
  3. sydneysider

sydneysider Member

If you have a lot of pain ,or stiffness in the neck area, it is important you check for disc damage or other spinal problems. Muscles can tend to stiffen up, to try to support any damaged area.
    Your neurologist should look into this.

I would suggest heat packs, relaxation exercises, and if things get really bad a muscle relaxant(go easy on muscle relaxants, as they lose effect with use).

Hopefully your new doc will be able to sort this out.
  4. spacee

spacee Member

If it does, it needs to be done regularly. It has helped me so much.

5. Heyygirl

Heyygirl New Member

Have you been tested for Lymes? Classic symptoms.

6. Empower

Empower New Member

I have had so many tests, not sure if Lyme is one of them

What are the exact tests for Lyme?

Do you know?
  7. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

I had a FMS diagnosis for 21 years until I discovered the CAUSE of my FMS is the bacteria that causes lyme disease.

You should get a western blot IgG and IgM from Igenex lab in CA.

1st you should know that no test is foolproof, but Igenex is the best. Do not bother with other labs. Your Dr will try to tell you that he can run a lyme test at your local lab.....just insist on Igenex.

Other labs' testing is incomplete and flawed. Igenex is the only one who tests for 14 IgG and 14 IgM bands which is absolutely necessary.

You can call them for a free test kit with a prepaid fedex label. the Dr's order form is included.

Have your Dr order test #188 and cost $200 must be prepaid with credit card or check. they do accept medicare. they'll send you a receipt that you can submit to your insurance.

Have blood drawn on a Mon or Tues and then it must be 2-day fed-ex'd to Igenex by your lab after they prepare it.

Get a copy of your results right away from your Dr.

Even if the results say "CDC negative" or "Igenex negative" you can still have lyme. It is important to compare your individual band results to the information in these 2 links:

On page 7 of the above lyme expert's paper you will see a part about western blots. It is vital to compare your band results to this. On page 9-11 is a symptom checklist...if you have numerous symptoms, be suspicious.

Also read this western blot info from a lyme expert and compare your results to it:

It is vital for you to know that Lyme is a clinical diagnosis...means it should be based on a patient's history and symptoms....and it can be supported by labwork, but doesn't have to be.

Also make sure you understand that Lyme is NEVER, NEVER ruled out by just a negative lab test....NEVER. Any Dr who does this knows nothing about lyme disease.....which is 99% of Dr's.

It is common for people with FMS or CFS diagnoses to later learn that their symptoms were caused by the lyme bacteria....borrelia burgdorferi.

Often, people with lyme disease also have other coinfections that contribute to their symptoms.

Only a good LLMD can sort all this out.

Let me know if I can help you further. you can leave a post for me on the lyme board anytime. I will be away for a few days from 4/23 in the pm - 4/26.

Here is another link to a great booklet with basic info about lyme also has a comprehensive symptom checklist....

Good's worth anyone with a FMS or CFS diagnosis looking into.
  8. Empower

Empower New Member

Thanks all for your responses

I have been sick with darn cold, so I have been slow to respond

I do think that it is something more than the fibro

I do have a bulging disc in my neck so that may be contributing to it
  9. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I have FM, Degenerative disc and joint disease and MPS. It causes awful pain along the back of my shoulders. Stiff, pain, burning. I seem to be in a flare with it the past month as well.

I wish I had something to offer in the way of suggestions, but pretty much all I can do is take my pain meds and I use heating showers,etc. Doesn't seem to take much away though.

Good luck with it.

10. deserella

deserella Member

I have FM and CFS. I've seen a chiropracter and Physical therapist and they both said I have mild scoliosis. I also have a hip misalignment, one shoulder/hip/leg highter than the other. It causes a lot of upper back pain and neck pain. My dad, sister and cousins all have this too and have pain in the same areas.

Thought I throw this idea out there. Good luck in finding a cure :)
  11. erinwilburn

erinwilburn New Member

Pneumonia? Last year I thought I was just having normal Fibro flare but it got so bad I went to the ER and both of my lungs where 3/4 full from Bacterial Pneumonia and I almost died. It only took a few days to get that bad. I would hope that one of your Dr.s would listen to your lungs. I know it's a long shot but we all seem to be more open to air born bacteria.