Question about upping the dosage on Oxycontin--?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by catgal, Nov 25, 2002.

1. catgal

catgal New Member

Hello Everyone~~I've been a member of this Board for a couple of years up until this past year when my computer went out on me and have just recently gotten a new one. I see many new people have joined the Board, and it is wonderful to be with you all again.

I have been on 10mgs 3x's a day of oxycontin for almost two years now plus I take one soma and one 5mg klonopin every night and have 10mg percocet for breakthrough pain. However, it seems I have built up a tolerance to the 10mg oxycontin for it doesn't perform very well anymore nor last as long, and I probably need to increase the dosage to 20mg. But, I have heard such horrendous horror stories about people trying to get off of oxycontin that I worry about increasing the dosage.

I would be interested in anyone's experience with oxycontin. Thanks for your help!

It's great to be back on the Board once again!
  2. catgal

catgal New Member

Hello Everyone~~I've been a member of this Board for a couple of years up until this past year when my computer went out on me and have just recently gotten a new one. I see many new people have joined the Board, and it is wonderful to be with you all again.

I have been on 10mgs 3x's a day of oxycontin for almost two years now plus I take one soma and one 5mg klonopin every night and have 10mg percocet for breakthrough pain. However, it seems I have built up a tolerance to the 10mg oxycontin for it doesn't perform very well anymore nor last as long, and I probably need to increase the dosage to 20mg. But, I have heard such horrendous horror stories about people trying to get off of oxycontin that I worry about increasing the dosage.

I would be interested in anyone's experience with oxycontin. Thanks for your help!

It's great to be back on the Board once again!
  3. northwoodssue

northwoodssue New Member

Welcome back. I'm new to the boards and am hooked on them. Great advise, feedback, ideas!!!
    I haven't taken oxy yet, but feel strongly that you should be discussing this does increase, side effects, with you doctor first. This is strong stuff. Hope your doc and you can figure this out. let us know.
  4. kadywill

kadywill New Member

Oxy a week ago and I take 10 mg. twice a day with 5 mg. Oxy IR every two hours as needed for breakthrough pain. The doc will increase my dose according to how many of the Oxy IR I am requiring. Until yesterday and today, my pain has been nearly 100% relieved with the Oxy and two of the IR's for the entire day. Today, I have had three Oxy IR already and I just applied a Lidoderm patch to my hip/buttock for unrelieved pain. This pain is REALLY bad when the Oxy doesn't take it sway. I know that if you've been on this small dosage for two years that you are due for an increase about now. Call the doc and forget about your fears. You've done very well with a small dosage for two years!!! Ask him about the Oxy IR instead of the Percocet...it is Oxycodone Immediate release and it works well with the Oxycontin. You'll be fine....listen to your body.
    Love,
    Kady
  5. allhart

allhart New Member

ive been on oxy 2 differnt times didnt have any promblems stopping it ,but when you do stopp just dont do it during a flare,your way past due for a dosage up to 20mg