Question about urine color?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by damz68, Feb 3, 2006.

1. damz68

damz68 New Member

Before I got sick I peed 5-6 times a day. In the morning it was yellow and was pretty much clear the rest of the day. Since getting sick I pee 8-9 times a day and it is clear yellow in color the whole day. Is there any signifacance behind this change?
  2. kjfms

kjfms Member

...your urine color sounds normal. Urine is usually more concentrated in the mornings. I hope you are doing OK. :)

Something that can really change the color of urine is the
    vitamin B2 (riboflavin). If you swallow a vitamin B2 supplement, and the
    amount is more than your body needs, the vitamin is excreted in the urine.

The urine will be a VERY bright yellow - almost fluorescent But there is nothing wrong with you
    when this happens - it is just your body getting rid of extra vitamin B2.

Some health authorities use this as an example that taking large doses of vitamins only makes expensive urine. However, nutritionists who advocate large vitamin supplementation counter by saying that it is only when the
    excess amounts of vitamins spill over into the urine that you know for sure that your body is getting the maximum amount of the vitamins.

Urine consists of excess water and waste products that have been filtered from the blood by the kidneys. Its natural yellow color is due to excretion of urochrome, a blood pigment. Depending on the amount of fluids you drink, your urine can range in color from almost clear (diluted) to dark orange (concentrated).

Most changes in urine color are temporary and caused by food colors or medications. However, an abnormal urine color may indicate a serious disease. If you're concerned about the color of your urine, especially if you notice blood in it, consult with your doctor.

Urine color Possible medical and dietary causes

Clear-Excess liquids, Liver disorders, such as acute viral hepatitis or cirrhosis.

Bright or neon yellow-Vitamin supplements.

Dark yellow or gold-Dehydration.

Pink or red Blood in the urine, such as due to kidney or bladder infection or cancer, certain foods, such as beets and berries, and food dyes, some laxatives.

Orange-Side effect of certain medications, such as rifampin, doxorubicin (Adriamycin, Rubex), phenazopyridine (Pyridium) and warfarin (Coumadin)
    Certain foods and food dyes and Dehydration.

Blue or green-Side effect of certain medications, such as amitriptyline and indomethacin (Indocin)
    Certain foods, such as asparagus, and food dyes (I have never done this but wouldn't it just flip you out?!!!...LOL.

Dark brown or tea colored-Liver disorders, especially if accompanied by pale stools and jaundice
    Side effect of certain medications, Blood in the urine,
    Certain foods and food dyes.

Cloudy or murky urine-Urinary tract infections and
    Kidney stones.

I hope this helps a little.

Thanks,

Karen

3. pirtpain

pirtpain New Member

I think that I go more often but I beleive that clear urine is good. Sometimes vitamins will make it real yellow.

PIRT
  4. laspis1

laspis1 New Member

I have been on the dysautonomia board and someone there advised to watch for dark, "tea colored" urine with rust-colored sediment. This is a sign of myoglobinuria, the release of muscle breakdown products into the urine. I do get a very dark urine sometimes and than again sometimes it has no color. I think I would worry more about the dark one. Of course this never happened when I had it tested so I would have to watch out for it.
  5. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

Thank you for your post now I know why mine is bright yellow in the morning or a couple of hours after I take my Multi. To much B2 :)
  6. kjfms

kjfms Member

...dianna88 and Dee50 thank you, so glad to help.

I get dehydrated quite often so this is of special interest to me...sigh...

Karen
  7. HagerTX

HagerTX New Member

have lab tests shown any abnormalities in the urine samples?

also, do you take vitamins and/or meds? those are some of the usual culprits for making it yellow.

8. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

Darker in the morning is normal, but clear urine all day is not. It means lack of B vitamins.

While healthy urine colour may be darker in the morning, and have some variations in colour during the day, due to food intake and fluctuating levels of nutrients as well as dilution from fluid intake, having it be consistantly clear all day isn't good. A deep robust yellow, to a lighter yellow is what you want to be seeing from day to day. you don't want to be seeing an unnatural, flourescent colour of yellow. That indicates artifial B vitamins and I don't believe they are very health giving. My body always knows the difference anyway, and I get urethral irritation from every time, even if I didn't know I was getting the wrong kind.

We do tend to have irritable everything w/ this disease and increased urine output is common. The more consistant yellow colour sounds like a good sign. Going 9 times a day is still a drop in the bucket compared to many of us, if you'll pardon the expression, so I wouldn't be concerned. Maybe you are eating better, taking vitamins now, drinking less alcohol and caffeine which can make the urine look insipid?

Jeanne
  9. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I am constantly drinking water or diet sodas and I am going all the time. My urine is usually darker the first thing in the morning, then pale yellow to clear the rest of the day.

I also have an overactive bladder and I take Detrol 2 mg. 2 x a day, but because of all I drink, what goes in, has to come out. I think I drink a lot due to when I quit smoking in 1986. It is just a habit of the hand to mouth thing.

So I have learned to use drinking instead of smoking.

Could any meds you are taking be causing a change in the color of your urine, like if you may be taking more vitamins or supplements? Just an idea...

Hugs,
    Faye

[This Message was Edited on 02/03/2006]
  10. Trena

Trena New Member

You may want to be screened for diabetes if you feel you are going too often. That was one of the symptomes I had before being diagnosed with diabetes. Excessive thirst and urninating.
    Most probably it is normal and as the other posters said, your urine is more condentrated in the AM after having been asleep all night.........................is that a joke with fibro?........asleep all night...........LOL
  11. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

I started taking Fibro Complete Multi and Calcium Citrate from Pro-Health.A couple of hours after I take my Multi my urine is flourescent yellow but by the evening it's clear with no color. I do drink 4 cups of very weak coffee 2 in the morning and two in the afternoon. And I drink lots of RO water. So I'm alittle confused. Does the mean by body is not using the B's from this product?
    Dee50
  12. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

My understanding is that we should aim to drink enough water to keep our urine a pale straw colour.

Interstitial cystitis & overactive bladder can both be associated conditions of CFS/FMS. If you feel you have one of these condidtions perhaps you should ask to see a urologist damz68. I have IC really badly.
  13. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

but that you don't have a consistant dose spread through the day. You must be just taking it in the morning. If you can, split the pill or powder drink dose to morning and supper dose.

Your body will take what it needs of B vitamins, and will even take up more depending on how you are feeling and what you are needing that given day. So if I notice my urine getting too pale in early afternoon I may take an extra dose. I always notice my urine colour corresponding w/ how i'm feeling too.

Jeanne