Question about viral testing

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ktp812, Apr 28, 2009.

1. ktp812

ktp812 New Member

I am still trying to decide if I should continue on the Valcyte. I have been reading alot about the drug and am coming to the conclusion already that it probably won't help me.

I know I have only been on it for 6 days but..I am having serious doubts. I have read that the people who did get better were the ones that had severe cognitive dysfunction and postive EBV and HHV-6 titers.

I have never had any cognitive problems and no positive viral tests at all.

So I guess my question is could I still have these particular virus's and not get a positive test for them? I was tested early on for EBV and then again in Nov 2007. I only have the remaining symptom of chronic fatigue/low stamina/exhaustion so I just don't know.

I have a list of other tests I haven't had done yet which I am going to ask my doctor to do and I guess will go from there. I am already having trouble sleeping with the valcyte and I had been sleeping great since last fall. UGH

2. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

kim..when you say that you had no positive viral tests, do you mean that the antibody levels were normal?

along with the other tests you are going to do, perhaps you can test RNase L (done at RedLabs). extremely high RNase L activity is a strong indicator of active viral infection.

best of luck
    [This Message was Edited on 04/28/2009]
  3. ktp812

ktp812 New Member

Yes, I meant that I had normal antibody levels. I looked back to see if I had the EBV when I first became sick but couldn't find it so maybe that one wasn't done at the time.

I will definately have the RNase L test done. I am going to add that to my list. Thank you!

I was just wondering if after so long the virus's wouldn't show up in the blood testing. It would seem if I still am having chronic fatigue that something would show...

4. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

it is definitely possible to have active infection and still have normal antibodies. ..this is why the RNase L could provide another clue.

best of luck!