Question about Wellbutrin SR?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lindy2, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Lindy2

Lindy2 New Member

My doc recently put me on Wellbutrin SR 100mg but the pharmacy is giving me the generic called Bupropion instead.

I have had great results in the past with Wellbutrin (Brand) especially with an increase in energy but with this I was wondering if there is a difference with generic?

Thanks for any input,
    Lindy
  2. shan1078

shan1078 New Member

I've been taking Wellbutrin for years, and have taken all the different types of it.
    Wellbutrin SR, and Bupropion ARE different. The SR means "slow release", and the Bupropion is not. I am now on Wellbutrin XL, (extended release), which I think is better than the two above.
    I tried taking Bupropion,becuase it was alot cheaper than the name brand, and did not like it. It wasn't time released, and every time I took it, it gave me this jittery feeling "energy" and would go away after about 3 hrs. So, then I tried taking 1 in the morning and 1 at lunch, but it only made me worse. I felt horrible moody. But everyone's experience is different.
    I'm a huge fan of Wellbutrin and have been taking it for almost 2 years now. Wellbutrin XL is really good, but more expensive, you may want to ask you Dr. about it.

Let me know how this goes! Hope I helped

[This Message was Edited on 02/14/2006]
  3. shan1078

shan1078 New Member

4. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

for me anyway.

My pharma switched it w/out warning me. Seems ODSP suddenly stopped covering the name brand if the generic was available. My body suddenly let me knwo that I wasn't taking a valid a.d. anymore, then I finally noticed the pills were a bit different.

Everyone's different though, and one poster actually said the bubroprion worked better for them.

Jeanne
  5. Lindy2

Lindy2 New Member

A couple of years ago I had great results with Wellbutrin SR but I started losing weight to rapidly and my doc took me off of them. I had lost over 50lbs in just a few short weeks and they said it was due to it being a side affect.

After trying a few other anti-depressants with no results I requested to try the Wellbutrin SR again.

Shan since you said that it's not a slow release I know now that it's not just me. I have no idea why my pharmacist would take it upon themselves to switch it without asking?

Jeanne it really does seem like I have been taking a sugar pill...LOL.

Thank You both for your help and I will definitely switch right away.

Hugs,
    Lindy
    [This Message was Edited on 02/14/2006]
  6. tilla

tilla New Member

I decided to go to a lower dosage of Welbutrin as I was also taking cymbalta. Pharmacy gave me Bupropion. I found it was not at all like the welbutrin. Now that I am off cymbalta, I have been taking the WelbutrinXL and once again have the energy. I believe I take 150mg.

Tilla
  7. tngirl

tngirl New Member

or they won't cover it on the plan. My insurance pharmacy benefits are $5 for generics, then $20 or $40 copay depending whether or not it is on the "preferred list".

If I want the name brand rather than generic, I have to pay for it.