Question about Whiplash

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tandy, Oct 24, 2006.

1. tandy

tandy New Member

Hi everyone~
    Starters: I hope your all having one of your "less pain"
    days~

On Oct. 4th(I think?) lol
    I was rear-ended by someone. (lady fell asleep at the wheel) At the accident scene I felt some slight neck pain but not bad. I did'nt go to the hospital right then.
    3 days later I got into see my Rhuemy and explained what happened and told him my neck is killing me now!! (yes,.it took a day or 2 to get bad)
    He examined me and said I had a sprained neck.
    Same as whiplash?? I'm not sure.

He said to give it 3 weeks,gave me MORE meds and said if its not better for me to call his office.
    well,..its been 3 weeks and its a little better, not much,..
    but more bothersome now is alot of right shoulder pain.
    It hurts bad to lift my arm . Even getting toilet paper off the roller hurts my arm/shoulder/neck.
    even using the mouse at the computer hurts~
    Is this a common thing in whiplash? to have arm/shoulder pain.

is a sprained neck the same thing as whiplash?

and oddly: The ladys insurance Co. called and wanted to know how I'm doing? am I better?
    whats that all about?

Thanks alot for any help~
    Tandy
  2. suz45

suz45 New Member

HI Tandy:

Sorry about your accident and pain, It dors sound like whiplash many people with your type of injury will also get referred pain to the shoulder region. When the neck muscles, spine arepulled out of whack, throws the body out of alignment...

Is your Rheumy sending you for physical therapy, as the meds may take just mask the injury.

Also have you ever considered a chiroprator, I know many people think they are quacks... However more and more of them are working alongside main stream medical physicians. A chiro may be able to readust you or do soft tissue work to decrease your pain. You also may have a"frozen " shoulder and they are good at releasing those kind of issues. They work on the whole muscoskeletal system and if your not getting better with your current doctor... Who knows.

Also do not tell the insurance company anything or sign off on documents... Then you are out of luck should your require more medical care...

Let us know how you make out..

Suz45
  3. suz45

suz45 New Member

bumping....

Need input, serious situation here...

Suz45
  4. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

I was in a bad car accident when I was 17. The car we were in was cut in two pieces! I had whip lash and a concussion. This was in the 1970's so nothing was done then.

The doctor's believe that what what started my FM. Be very careful about signing off with insurance as others have said. Sometimes problems from car accidents show up later and it is too late if you sign off.

A friend of mine was in a car accident and the insurance company kept sending her for physio 3 days a week and massage therapy too. She kept saying there was something wrong, she would throw up after treatments and have terrible migraines.

The insurance company was accusing her of pretending to be sick. After 18 months of agony she finally persuaded them to do some more scans and they found out that the tendon in her shoulder was almost completely severed from the seatbelt. The physio was just aggrevating the problem and causing the severe pain and she had to have surgery. The surgery didn't take because they delayed for so long and now she still isn't back to work more than 2 years.

hugs Redwillow
  5. tandy

tandy New Member

your help means alot :)
  6. tandy

tandy New Member

I need some advice here,..and may post a new thread.

I'm a real dumb-dum,....
    Cause I did'nt know or think I'd get anything other than repairs to my vechicle.

Will personal injury be coming from my boyfriends insurance Co.(I was in his car) ???
    Or the lady who hit me,..& is at fault.
    Does anyone that gets hurt in a motor vechicle accident get a settlement??
    What is no-fault insurance??
    When I say I know nothing about this kinda stuff,..belive me,..I know notta,..Zip!

If I seek further treatmant and I most likely will need it. Who covers it? I have med. insurance.
    I'm very confused~

does it show?? lol
    Thanks/ HELP!
    Tandy
  7. suz45

suz45 New Member

Hi Tandy:

I would think that the woman who rearended your boyfriends car is responsible for payment. However, often the insured persons (your boyfriends ins co) will often pay and than go after the other persons company for payment.

No fault usually (differs by state) means what it sounds like that no fault was given to either party or has yet to be determined so your boyfriends no fault part of the ploicy would kick in.

Under no circumstance sshould you sign off to any ins company at this point or you may give up your rights for future resources $$$$$ for medical care. Also if the insurance people keep calling you, do not give them any specifics...If they continue to bug you...Consider conatacting an attorney and let them handle it.

Whiplash can cause problems for quite some time...Don;t be intimidated by the insurance reps....They are trying to save$$$$$

Good Luck,

Soft hugs,

Suz45
  8. TKE

TKE New Member

The person who hit you is responsible for your medical bills & car repair. Go thru your BF's insurance Co to deal with this & NEVER sign off anything. If you don't understand any part of any paper the other persons insurance ask you to sign tell them you'll have your company read it first. If at anytime you feel overwhelmed by any of the legal stuff call a lawyer to help you.

Often these things can lead to health issue years later, so make sure everything gets documented & you get copies of all of it. The other persons insurance will do everything to not pay if possible, so don't tell them you're better, etc unless you have been seen by the doc & all is back to normal. Tell them you're in therapy, seeing your doc, having pain, loss of movement, etc....whatever is wrong with you due to the accident.

No-fault works like this.... your insurance pays & then goes after the other persons insurance for the costs.

My half sis (HS)was broadsided by a lady who ran a stop sign & then moved her car to try to make it look like my sis caused the accident. There was a witness. My HS had just undergone back surgery 6 weeks prior & had 6 screws in her back. The wreck caused 2 screws to snap, meaning new & more invasive surgery was required. She had no insurance. She was told by 3 docs she'd never be able to work again. My HS had to go on SSD due to the 2nd accident. She's a single mother with 3 kids. She ended up suing the lady & won. All her med bills were paid, car replaced & she also won a big settlement. The ladies insurance tried to get her to sign off & accept a trivial amount.

Just make sure you get good medical treatment, get the car fixed & don't sign off until you're comfortable with the out come.

9. dononagin

dononagin New Member

I had whiplash about 11/12 years ago after being thrown off a horse into a metal arena fence.. whiplash/severe bruising to the back of the brain. I also sprained my tail bone -I was back to work after about 6 weeks.. Well, now years later I'm having alot of trouble with my neck and back. They are sending me to a ortho in January (referrals take forever!! jeez!) The initial x-rays showed severe degenerative disc disease in my neck and upper back as well as not as severe in my lower back. I can't help wondering if it is related?? I had physical therapy on my neck and back for 6 weeks x 3 times a week.

Be careful what you tell them or sign until you know you won't have lasting reprecussions.
    hugs!
  10. tandy

tandy New Member

You've been a great help to me in understanding all this
    insurance crap~ :)

We did recieve a check from the lady ins. for car repairs. an adjuster or whatever they're called came a few days after the accident to look at the car/SUV.
    But thats it.
    and now,.. their insurance has called 2 times since wanting to know how my neck is? so I was just wondering why their so concerned. Nobodys EVER concerned. LOL

Thanks again :)