Question about XMRV being contagious?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jole, Nov 23, 2009.

1. jole

jole Member

I haven't been on this board much lately, but have read "some" about XMRV, and understand just how exciting all this is. BUT....I'm also reading it's a virus that can be spread? So what I need to understand is this. I have small grandchildren, and now I'm worried about being around them...holding them, etc. Especially if it can be transmitted through a small cough, sneeze, etc. that I may not be able to control.

Lord knows these little ones are all that keeps me going (seriously)...but I would rather give up my life than pass this hell onto anyone else! I do remember when HIV first became known how scary it was for everyone....why do I feel the same about this? And I'm the one who has it???

Does anyone else have these concerns about being around family members? Or am I just really paranoid? ................Jole
  2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I don't think you're paranoid. I have been wondering the same thing. But, I was around my now ex-husband for many years while I was sick, and my kids (I started getting sick when they were about 13 [twins]), and none of them got sick.

I don't know what to tell you - I don't think we have enough information, but I don't think it's easily spread. I haven't given blood in many years because I figured there had to be something wrong with it.

I am going to be more careful when around other people, e.g., making sure no one drinks out of my glass, that sort of thing.

It's really too bad we have so little information. Hopefully the XMRV test will be available soon so we can know whether even to worry about this --

3. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

I've had CFS now for almost 19 years. The way I look at it is, if it is contagious, it's too late now to worry about it. If anyone was going to catch this from me, then it would have happened years ago.
  4. jole

jole Member

The reason I question this is because there are a lot of us that have family members with it also. I have two daughters who have a lot of the symptoms........and yes, I've had this since childhood, but was only diagnosed 7 years ago when I finally couldn't get up anymore.

So, I carry the guilt of perhaps passing this on to some of my children, and I don't want to pass it onto my grandkids...if it really can be. Before XMRV was every discovered, I was under the impression that it was possibly genetic...or somehow a "trait" that some had and some didn't. But this really changes the dynamics of it entirely if it can be spread from person to person.
  5. FibroFay

FibroFay New Member

I know how you feel. I have not yet mentioned XMRV to any of my family members. I want to know more about it before I cause them to panic. I agree with the above poster who said if any of them were going to catch it from me, they'd have it a long time already. As of now, I think any who develop the symptoms would need to get tested and treated the same as I will.

Everything is so uncertain. Do I have the retrovirus? What is the treatment? How far off is the treatment? Has anyone caught it from me? What do I do next?

This whole issue will have to unfold one day at a time. Jole, you certainly would never have passed this on to anyone else on purpose. So, don't be so hard on yourself. How would you ever have known? I don't think any of your family would ever blame you. They would just need to be treated for it. Let's just pray for effective treatment and for a cure in the near future.

Warm Hugs,

6. hopabout

hopabout New Member

I know we inherited this set up. I can prove that. I am writing a book about how that happened from our ancestry. There are only certain viruses we can get, others we may not attract.

There are also certain people that work in professions of empathy and art that are candidates to these viruses. ie: HIV and homosexuals.... actually are artist; most of them. Writers, poets, dancers, florist, hair dressers, designers, etc. (chromosome 14) Most of us qualify for that; research has proved it.

My best friend from highschool in 1963 has Fibro. Cifds? Many of my best friends in life
    now have Fibro/Cifds one or the other. We have a tendency, however, to marry and to attract friends according to the ancestral type we are - Haplotype. Therefore, even though I could be contagious and worry about it so, each one of my friends are also empathy and art types. So, were we born with the virus that has been dormant in our bodies since
    ancient times and did metals bring it out.... like Nickel. cigarette smoke. Or Mercury, shots, vaccinations.

Will we ever learn the truth, or just what they want us to know?

My husband died young, from cigarettes, but his family was an art/empathy family.
    Therefore, I pray his bone cancer and lung cancer had nothing to do with me.

My children have the same diseases as all the other people in our PH chat room's children do.
    bipolar, endometriosis, adhd, infertility, born with one kidney, etc. The familiar group in all that I study are Lupus/MS/RA/FIbro/Cfids/Alzheimers. Which Mom had.

I truly believe the virus is there in all of us, but we inherited this group of items from
    ancestral issues in Northern Europe mainly. And, our children and theirs will have the same
    illnesses regardless of Contagion. That is only my guess.

I have traced these families back 150 years. The art/empathy jobs are always the same.
    The brain effects where those areas reside, have been with my ancestors and yours
    a long time.

And, its everywhere! That my friend is why they are creating Stem Cells.... they know it.

7. slammed

slammed Member

not spread via air.

There is no doubt about the respect that is due WPI.

I do respectfully ask, however, that this aspect of their findings have further research.

8. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

i especially worry about my kids,they have lots of the symptoms of cfs/fibro.
    i nursed both my kids so im thinking if i did transmit it to them, thats probably how.
    on the other hand i've been married for 24 years and my Husband seems to be fine.

i have been sick since childhood, but was diagnosed about 12 years ago, so maybe it's a genetic disposition also that goes hand in hand with the viruses.

seems logical since my Husband is fine. i too feel bad jole, thinking i may have contributed to my Children Possibly getting this DD! If i find out i have XMRV, and this thing blows wide open like aids did. Will i loose what few friends i have left? will i loose my Ins? thank God a few years ago i took out 2 life Ins policies, just in case.

at Least if i go, my kids will be ok, Unless they have it also :(

so no your not alone in thinking about what all this will mean for our Families, it's scary and very sad