Question about Yard Work and SS Disability

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lilac123, Apr 21, 2006.

1. lilac123

lilac123 New Member

Hi Every "Body",

I have not been on the board lately except to "lurk" every now and then. Have been busy with dealing with this fibro and a new Grandbaby!!! He is a joy!! When I don't have him here I am resting up for the next time he comes to stay!

My question is about Social Security Disability and doing things outdoors. We live in the country and always put in a garden and I have loved doing my flowers in the past but it is becoming more difficult for me and I suffer horribly if I do too much. I am wondering about riding on the lawnmower and if the social security people ever send someone by to check on you??? I was finally approved after alot of hub bub and would not want to mess things up. I can do some things if I go at my own pace and stop now and then to rest. I know that some one just driving by seeing me doing yard work would not understand this. I have found some pretty inventive ways of gardening! I use a long tube to put my seeds in the ground. (I don't have to bend over.) I even put down cardboard one time and layed down to pull weeds and pick veggies. It was the only comfortable position I could get into. People passing by must have wondering what in the world I was doing!!

Well, hope this finds you all well! Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this!

Thanks,
    Lil

New pic of baby in profile!
  2. lilac123

lilac123 New Member

Wow, that poor lady! How could they have found her quilty? Water snorkeling doesn't sound too strenuous and neither does sunbathing. I wonder what else is to that story?

I had just read your post with your concerns with your doc's questions. Sorry I don't have any answers for you but I too would want an explanation as to why those were the questions being ask or how that pertained to me or my treatment.

Thanks for replying hope we both find get some good feed back about these issues. Isn't it just soooo much fun dealing with all of this?

Healing Thoughts!
    Lil
  3. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Lil:
    I would not do too much while undergoing a review. I know one reason they give for denial is: you can do a job even if it is not the same as the one before.
    I have said it here before: I do not trust the government: in my case a good reason for it.

Just be careful. Rember they will ask about what you can and can not do. I know this might be the kind of answers you do not usually get, but it is mine.

nyrofan
  4. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

My lawyer has advised me not to do any outside work for the very reason that you mention. I have never,to my knowledge, been under surveillance but I am comfortable with taking the safer approach.

I know that they don't know how much it can cost us just to do a little outside work. They can make unreasonable assumptions that are hard to counter. It's a difficult decision and everyone has to do what they feel is best.

Kathy.
  5. tandy

tandy New Member

I never said I was an invalid.
    I get SSI,..
    and when I do muster up enough strength to get outside,..I do do some yard work. If I'm being watched at all,they'll see that I can only do about 15 minutes then I'm done. I go inside.
    Sure wish they could follow me inside,..cause as you all can vouch,..... I pay tenfold for that 15 minutes!!
    Its amazing how badly I can ache from just doing a little bit of something I'm not use to doing!!!
    and I hate having to do it but I don't have anyone to do it for me,...or enough $ to pay someone.

I bagged up 2 things of leaves the other day and I'm still layed up. Stiff neck,..my legs are killing me,my low back feels cracked/weak.
    I feel like an 85 yr old!!

so to answer your question,...yes,I worry about that too.
    But I'm not dead yet!! I'm not about to give up my entire life/being just because I'm too ill to work outside the home 40 hrs a week!!
    I've heard of disability investigating people on it.
    I'm not too sure how often.
    Just don't do anything totally stupid like put a fence up!! LOL

within reason I always say :)
    Hugs
    Tandy
  6. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

Unfortunately, the community often thinks anyone on SSDI is cheating the system.

Personally, I can't do gardening or yard work.

If you love it, get one of the stools for assistance in gardening and never do more than a few minutes of it at a time.

Then, we must understand that sometimes, activities can be misinterpreted. They have had people reported for carrying large packages which look heavy, but contain bread, or pillows.

It is sad, but we all must remember that things can be misinterpreted.

Consider long and hard on activities to see if they can be misinterpreted. My doctors have suggested water exercise and snorkeling would fit right in with that, but I don't think I could do it.

Shortly before I came down with the symptoms of this, I went snorkeling in Hawaii, and did all kinds of things. Now, no way.

However, I get my refrigerated things put into bags where everything if refrigerated and have to leave the heavy things for my husband. I get assistance with loading it into the vehicle, if at all possible. If not, then I load one, using good body mechanics, at a time.

For some reason, people just resent anyone on disability. Some of them, for whatever reason, think that THEY PERSONALLY ARE BEING CHEATED BY THESE PEOPLE.

Keep that in mind.
  7. patches25

patches25 New Member

Some years ago I lived near a man who was on disability and an investigator came to my door and asked many questions about what I saw the man doing. What was it like when he had to get up his front steps. Did he work in the yard. Did he have any problems carrying in groceries. Those guys can ask a lot of questions.

This guy had a bad back. I rarely ever saw the guy so I am sure he spent most of his time inside and resting. I am glad I didn't have any info for the investigator, but I am sure some people could really cause problems for an ill person by what they report. E.