Question about your doctor

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hagardreams, Oct 25, 2009.

  1. hagardreams

    hagardreams New Member

    I am wondering how many of you are seeing just a general doctor for your fibromyalgia, and how many are seeing a specialist.

    I am just courious what specialist see fibro patients.

    I see just a GP and she is great!

    Thanks in advance, Julie
  2. FibroFay

    FibroFay New Member

    I've seen a rheumatologist several times over the course of my Fibro. One was extremely good, but I've moved away from his area so I don't see him any longer. He was the only rheumy I really liked for my Fibro.

    Now I only see my primary care physician (a family physician) for treatment. He's the one who diagnosed my illness 14 yrs. ago and has been my pcp for about 20 yrs. He is very up to date on Fibro treatment and I feel so very blessed to have him.

    Like myself, you are very lucky to have a great doctor!

  3. JLH

    JLH New Member

    For my fibro, I see my primary care physician (who is an Internist) as well as a Rheumatologist.

    I would let my PCP take care of everything except he said he would feel more comfortable if I would see a Rhuemy 2-3 times a year.

    My PCP really knows more than the Rheumy, I guess that's because he is aware of my long list of problems and has been taking care of my for nearly 20 years and the Rhuey has only been doctoring me for the last 2 years.

    The main specialist who normally see fibro patients is a Rheumatologist; however, quite a few other specialities treat them, too.

    I go to the Rheumy for him to also treat me for my CFS, osteoarthritis, osteoporosis, systemic lupus, and gout.
  4. PoodlesMom

    PoodlesMom New Member

    right now I'm just with my holistic integrative MD. She has sent me to every different type of

    dr......rheumy,cardio,endocronologist,gastro,neurologist,chiroprac.,accupunture,plus alternative practioners.....reiki,meditation,feldenkrais

    At least they all agree that there is something wrong with my muscles, cognitive abilities,IBS....motor skills, hand eye coordination etc.

    But, for now I'm just seeing my GP. I don't like having too many drs in the mix. So, I've come full circle.

    Your are quite wecome Julie. take care. Kathie
  5. ChungieDolor

    ChungieDolor New Member

    I see my Primary care Phys who specializes in Fms. I used to see a Physiologist who specialized in Fms, Cfs, and Myofac, but he retired. I had to pay out of pocket , which is reason I changed to this Pcp, he is covered under my insurance. I saw about ten different docs including a Rheum until I was diagnosed in 98.

    I was thinking of looking for a second opinion or additional treatment, since I would like to work again.


[ advertisement ]