QUESTION BEDBOUND/WHEELCHAIR/SCOOTER

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lolalee, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

When I first became ill someone sympathized with me because their sister-in-law had FMS and was in a wheelchair. I thought...does it get that bad? Well, here I am in a wheelchair. My question is for anyone who can't get out of bed much or uses a wheelchair or a scooter?

Why are you in that situation? Is it because of fatigue or pain? Is it because you are unable to walk?

This morning my left leg won't "work". I can move it when I'm sitting or laying down or standing, but I can't lift my leg to take a step. I can't walk. I have a throbbing pain throughout my leg and foot. This has happened before but usually it gets better after a few minutes unlike today.

I'd love to hear from anyone about this.

Thanks,

Lolalee
  2. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

I am so sorry that you are having such trouble with your leg. Are you sure that is FM related or do you have a bad disc in your back? What you are describing sounds like what happened to my Mom. I remember you went to a neurologist and was upset but I'm sorry that I can not remember the outcome. I'm going to give medical advice and suggest and MRI if you have not had one.

I would like to have a Scooter or anything that would make me mobile. I can only stand for a short time. If I'm standing I am leaning on something. My body just does not want to stand. I can walk for short distances. I can now go into a store the size of a drugstore but nothing larger. I park in the handicapped spots if available and if not I have the person driving leave me at the door. Even inside a drugstore, I get a buggy just to lean on.

I would like to be able to do the things that I once loved to do. So much of my depression is because I feel so trapped.

Please let me know how you are doing!

((((HUGS!))))
  3. SweetT

SweetT New Member

For me, I walk around,up and down, all day at work. I also walk in the supermarket and for other errands,but by the time I get home, I can barely stand to iron my clothes and cook dinner, from pain and fatigue (I also have fibro and CFIDS). I know that if I used a scooter at work, I would do better at home. However, I live in a one-story home, so I could do okay in a small wheelchair at home.

Let me know what you find out.
  4. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

I appreciate your feedback and it helps to know the reasons why others use these helpful aides.

1Sweetie, tell me what happened to your mother. I have been wondering if it is a problem in my spine. I had Neurological testing done. The Brain EEG showed abnormal slow wave response which I have read is common with CFIDS. I also had a Visual Evoke Response test that showed abnormalities. I'm going to call my Neurologist tomorrow because these results have been given to me by the nurse. I want to know what he thinks it is. Of course, he doesn't believe in FMS, so it should be interesting to hear what his opinion. I'll keep you posted. I'm having a crappy (can I say that) day.

Lolalee
  5. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I'm sorry to hear about your leg; I hope you can get things figured out and become more mobile soon.

I am disabled with CFS. I can walk short distances around the house, but I can't do stairs and I can't stand long enough to cook meals. I also can't walk anywhere out in public.

My problem is mainly hypotension. I use a scooter or wheelchair when I'm out of the house.
  6. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

I will call my Mom tomorrow to get the details. My brain is fuzzy but I think it just suddenly gave way and she fell and could not move. She was in lots of pain and my Mom has a very high tolerance to pain.

I will get more details and get back with you. I remember that you said your leg did not want to move and her leg did the same. It was a severely herniated disc.

Take care and stay off of it. If you fall you could break a hip.

7. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Sweetie, I just saw your message about calling your Mom. Thanks.

Lolalee

P.S. My husband had to borrow a "walker" from one of our friends. I can't even get around with the cane. Not good.
  8. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

I agree with you. I just didn't realize that I was this sick. I would keep pushing myself until I'd crash. I truly never have accepted or learned how to live with this illness until now. So, it's taking me a little while to change my behavior.

I appreciate your advice very much.

Lolalee