Question Endoscopy Please

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lea, Sep 2, 2008.

1. lea

lea Member

For anyone who has had an upper endoscopy, where they remove to biopsy a sample, does the removal of this piece cause more stomach pain?

thanks a lot
  2. tandy

tandy New Member

this back up top.

I never had a biopsy done so I don't know the answer here.
    (I had the endoscope done,alone) I felt nothing with that.
    (sound asleep :)

hope someone comes along soon and knows
  3. minkanyrose

minkanyrose New Member

didn't feel the biopsy i was not completely under i could see what was going on but couldn't understand anything being said. it was like the first falling asleep stage where you hear things around you but can't make it out.

any way i had no problem with it and when it comes to pain i am the leader in being a cry baby.

hope all goes well with you.

have a great day.
  4. Empower

Empower New Member

I don't have an answer, but I may have to have one done

I May have an ulcer

I don't want an endoscopy because I react to all kinds of meds

What are your symptoms?
  5. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I've had 3 endoscopies and am due for another soon. I have a precancerous growth in my stomach, and both my father and grandfather died of stomach cancer, so I have to have EGD's every two years.

The biopsies will hurt during the procedure if they don't give you enough drugs (I am allergic to the pain drug they give), but most people won't even know it's happening. Biopsy sites should not hurt afterwards. If you have concerns, I would call your GI doc and ask to speak to his nurse.

I hope you feel better soon,

6. Cinderbug

Cinderbug New Member

I had no problems at all after my endoscopy.

I was out completely during the procedure and had no problem afterwards.

Good Luck,

7. monicaz49

monicaz49 New Member

the endoscopy was a breeze. dont worry about the procedure or it increasing your pain.
    You may also want to consider sending your sample over to the Whittemore institute after your doctor does their own analysis. This institute is collecting endoscopy samples of those with CFS! I sent mine.

Good luck
  8. ellikers

ellikers New Member

No, no pain and its shouldn't cause any pain.

I had an upper GI endoscopy done back in April or May with no negative effects.
  9. pw7575

pw7575 New Member can have some soreness in your stomach after having biopsies. I have had it done twice and both times I had soreness afterwards. The first time was 7 years ago and I called the doctors office since I was worried about it and they said it was normal to have some discomfort afterwards.

I just had another one done last Thursday and I am still having some discomfort from that. The sheet that they gave me afterwards said that there could be some discomfort so I don't think this is something you need to worry about. Unless the pain is severe or you are running a fever than it should be ok.

Hope you are feeling better soon!

Take Care,
  10. Diva55

Diva55 New Member

I had an endoscopy with biopsy.

I chose not to have the sedation as the possible after affects sounded horrible. You have to be brave or maybe foolish (like me!) to have it without sedation!

The tube going down was a shocker but taking the biopsy didn't cause pain.

The only pain I had after was a bit of a sore throat.
    Best wishes
  11. Asatrump

Asatrump New Member

I had no problems, it was one of the easiest tests I had.

My 8 year old grand daughter just had one, immediately followed by a colonoscopy, biopsies all over, and when awake had a nasal gastric tube going from her nose into her stomach, attached to a computer she had to carry for 24 hours.

She had no pain, stopped at my house immediately after and ate, even with the NG tube.

In case you are wondering: she had nausea many times a day and night, rarely vomiting. She missed a great deal of school and would constantly rate her nausea from 1-10 each day.

They found she had 105 episodes of reflux in 20 hours of eating, sleeping, awake. She had almost immediate relief from all nausea within three days. She now takes a Prilosec in am and also in pm.

It was terrible to put a child through that, but she proved to be strong, she also had her tonsils out a few months back. And, if that wasn't enough she had nose bleeds and ENT could not get rid of the layer of crusties in her nose, even with anti biotic. So they had her do a netti pot type gadget. Imagine an 8 year old. She did it like a champ and would comment about how many chunks she flushed away.

Child now has relief from tonsils, nose bleeds and nausea. I wonder what the school nurse will do this year in her spare time!!!

Good luck with your endoscopy. One of the easiest tests so rest easy.
  12. mjwarchol

mjwarchol New Member

No, nothing at all. I worked for a GI doctor and did endoscopies, and I have had two one with biopsies. You won't feel a thing, and probably won't remember anything either.

Good luck.

M J
  13. lea

lea Member

of your helpful replies.