Question for Canadians

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by phoebe1, Jan 24, 2008.

1. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

I have been recruited by a company in Canada to go work there, and one of the things that I thought was really great is that Canada doesn't have a quarantine period for dogs, so my babies can go home with me straight off the plane! But, now someone told me that it is illegal to leave your dogs outside in the garden. Is it true and what is the reason for this? (We will be staying in Ontario).
    Our dogs are used to being outside the whole day and only sleeping inside. I'm wondering what I'm going to do??
    Plus, is it really THAT cold? We are used to all year warm sunny weather.

2. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

Well to Canada,
    I am in Ontario when you say garden do you the back yard of a house? if yes...well of course you can...I don't know who told you that...there are people all over that leave their animals outside........... Cold....yes it is cold but that is winter.

Love to all, Ann
  3. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I live in Ontario and can't speak to the laws because I would not leave my dog outside during the winter here.

A dog, of an appropriate breed, who spent every day outside in our climate and was accustomed to it would, no doubt, do alright - huskies live outside full time in the north - but a dog used to warm and sunny weather is going to have a difficult time adjusting to long hours of weather which is much colder than he/she is accustomed to.

I would think a dog acclimatized to South Africa would have a very difficult time adjusting to Ontario. I would think the dog would be at great risk for hypothermia and/or frostbite.

We have days in Ontario where there are warnings regarding how many minutes exposed skin will take to freeze. This isn't Winnipeg, where it is COLD, and we can have mild winters but even a mild winter will have some very bitter days. You can find information about winter temp.s in Ontario online.

Here's some information from the Toronto Humane Society (a warm part of Ontario) about pet care in winter.

Winterizing Your Pet ~ General Pet Care

When temperature and snow start to fall, your pet will need a little extra care from you.

Cats and dogs need protection from wet and cold both inside and outside your home. Cats should stay indoors during the winter, as they are extremely vulnerable to snow, ice and extreme cold. The best way to protect your dog from the harsh elements is to keep him inside, except for supervised walks on a leash.

If you need to bundle up, so does your pet. In very cold weather, put a warm coat on your short-haired dog and take short walks.

Long-haired dogs should not be outside for more that 20 minutes in very cold weather . They are just as susceptible to sudden temperature changes as you are.

Animals can suffer from frostbite and hypothermia even early in winter. Frostbite is most common on your pet's paws. Symptoms of frostbite may not appear until a couple of days after exposure. Watch for swollen paws and your pet fussing over the area. If this happens, take your pet to your veterinarian immediately. On the way, wrap your pet in dry warm blankets and apply a warm (not hot) water bottle to the affected area.

If your dog is outside with you a lot in the winter, he will need more calories to produce body heat, so increase the amount you feed him.

If your pet gets very little exercise during the winter, decrease his calorie intake to avoid excess weight gain.

Antifreeze tastes good to pets, but it is a deadly poison. Keep an eye out for antifreeze puddles. If you suspect your pet has ingested antifreeze, rush him to your veterinarian immediately. The most likely source of the poison is a radiator drainage spot in a garage or parking area, which should be flushed with water immediately.

When you are outside with your pet, watch out for chemicals used to melt snow on sidewalks, as they can irritate your pet's paws. Always remember to wipe its paws with a wet cloth after an outing and remove the ice between his paw pads. If your dog's paws look sore or irritated, apply a thin coat of petroleum jelly. You can also purchase commercial boots to protect his paws from the elements.

Slap the hood of your car or honk the horn a few times before starting the engine on cold days to startle any animal sleeping under the car. Cats may crawl up under your car seeking shelter and warmth near the engine. They may become caught in the fan belt and suffer serious injury when someone starts the engine.

Remember, if it's too cold for you to go outside, then it's too cold for your pet.

I hope you and your critters enjoy Ontario!
    Peace out,

[This Message was Edited on 01/25/2008]
  4. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I understand your frustration regarding how we are sometimes seen south of the 49th but Phoebe is coming from South Africa! Compared to South Africa, Ontario is going to be shockingly cold!

Peace to another Canuk!
  5. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Ontario winter weather varies day to day and year to year. On Christmas Day in 1980, the people of Toronto shivered in the nose-freezing cold of -25°C. Christmas Day, two years later, Torontonians walked around in sweaters and rain jackets in spring-like 17°C temperatures.

Ontario covers so much territory that the average daily temperatures may differ by as much as 20 Celsius degrees. For example, the average daily temperatures in January range from near minus -24°C in northern portions of the province to a relatively balmy -4°C in Southwestern Ontario.

Not surprisingly, most winters begin earlier and end later in the north than in the south. The winter season in Northern Ontario usually starts in October and ends in mid-May. In Southern Ontario, the winter season starts in November and finishes around the middle of April.

We may joke about winter, but winter weather is no joke. Bitter cold and winter storms kill more than 100 people in Canada every year. That is more than the number of Canadians killed by tornadoes, thunderstorms, lightning, floods, and hurricanes combined.
  6. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I'm putting on some lovely Italian stilettos not to slap you but to tell you that I totally get it.

I have a good friend -very intelligent woman- who was surprised to hear that we have our own television networks and do not consume only US telly.

I do kinda like flying below the radar, sometimes. Sleeping elephant and all that:~)

7. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

I appreciate any information, and love hearing it from Canadians! You have no idea how much it helps, we have never been there but I think what one hears about the most is the cold weather, the many lakes (I was astounded to hear that Ontario has 268 000 lakes?!) and the beauty of nature. South Africa is also a beautiful country, except that the sun shines every single day, normal summer tempratures are in the 30's and extremely cold winter temperatures (like really really cold for us, staying inside weather) is anything below 10 degrees celsius.
    I am so relieved to hear that I will be able to leave my dogs outside when the weather is ok, it is understandable that they must stay inside when it is freezing outside, I didn't realise that they could get frostbite on their feet!
    Thank you for all the info, I love hearing anything about Canada and want to learn as much as I can before we go!

8. happycanuk

happycanuk New Member

I live in Alberta, but I can't imagine a law that says you can't leave your dogs outside - except when it is very, very cold, like we just went through - 37 below zero. NOTHING should be left outside then. Also, when it is very hot, you should not leave animals outside without shelter.

You will find winter in Canada a lot different from where you are coming from ( sunny warm weather all year lol). Most people from other countries (Australia, Jamacia, European countries) love it here. Winter can be a lot of fun, and that real biting cold, doesn't hang around for long.