Question for DX TMJ sufferers

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tandy, Jan 25, 2006.

1. tandy

tandy New Member

Hi Everyone~
    I've never been DX with TMJ but really think I have it as I have so much unexplained jaw pains.

For me its been a couple of yrs,.. off and on.
    Just lately, whenever I'm sleeping or laying down for any length of time,.... I wake up with whatever side of my face that I was laying on really sore and tight.
    From right below that ear all the along the whole jawline.
    Just wondering if people with TMJ get this too?
    Must be just the pressure/weight of my head lying the pillow??
    even my ear with ache untill I get up and move around a bit.

this is weird
    Thanks for reading,
    Tandy
  2. tngirl

tngirl New Member

It certainly sounds like you may have tmj. Mine is wore after waking, although I don't notice that it is just on the side I am lying on.

My jaws will ache, my ear will feel like its hurting. Sometimes my ears ring.

I went to an oral surgeon who said I have some deterioration of the joint, but that a lot of it is muscle related. What a surprise for someone with FMS, right?

I clench my teeth. When I'm awake I can consiously try to make my self relax. Of course when I sleep I can't do that.
    I got a bite guard and it does help. I wear it when I sleep. I still clench, you can see the marks on the guard. I hardly ever have pain during the day now.

I'm a real beauty when I sleep. I wear a cpap mask and bite guard :)
  3. CAAnnieB

CAAnnieB New Member

It certainly sounds like TMJ...

I had to laugh at tngirl's comment about being a real beauty with the CPAP & tooth guard! I look the same!...I too am on CPAP, have nighttime bruxism & wear a tooth guard! I chomp away at night...didn't know that I did until my hubby told me so years ago & my dentist could tell from the wear & tear on my teeth!

The jaw & ear pain is something I wake up with every morning. Sometimes, the ear pain is so severe that I put my heating pad or microwaveable "buddy" pack on my jaw & ear before getting up. It helps.

Usually, the pain goes away after I've been up for awhile. I have no real words of wisdom on treating the TMJ/ bruxism...It's very tough to treat! Wearing the tooth guard does not stop the behavior, but it will protect your teeth from damage. A TMJ dentist is the best person to diagnose you and make a guard for your teeth.

I had hopes that Klonopin & Valerian would lessen my Bruxism, but they really haven't helped much. Sorry to sound so negative, but I haven't heard of much success in finding a way to stop this behavior. It's a real challenge because it happens when we're asleep!

I can relate to what you said about whatever side you are laying on being the sorest when you wake up. Happens to me ALL the time.

Hugs,
    Annie
  4. tandy

tandy New Member

I mentioned a few times having alot of jaw pains to my dentist,.... and he just listened and said nore did nothing. Maybe he does'nt know what to do?

Sometimes I find that taking a warm washcloth and warming it in the microwave helps. I'll let that warm wet washcloth lay over one whole side and it feels so good.

Some pain meds seems to make me clench more/and tighten up. ??? Mostly I'm not aware of clenching but I have caught myself alot. ??
    Its hard to mentally loosen up that jaw!! But I do most times when I notice.
    What kind of Dr.will DX this TMJ?
    Take care,..and thanks again for all your help.
    Hugs
    Tandy
  5. SherylD

SherylD Guest

I am having a heck of a time with mine right now.. I went through the whole spint thing when I was 21.. THen I didn't have any problems for a while..

Now for a while it got bad again..I have been going to the dent. for a couple of month.. I am on my second spint and still no relief..

I have another thread going..TMJ is really bad. Some people have responded to that.. YOu should check that out. Maybe you get something out of that.

Sorrry I am probably not much help.. Good luck and I hope you feel better.

SherylD
  6. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Tandy,
    That surely sounds like my symptoms. I was really lucky. My Chiro used Myofascial Trigger Point Therapy and actually cured me by manipulating the muscles of my jaw from the inside. It took a few visits, but it really worked. She also showed me what to do if it came back.

Good luck. I hope you find a good Dr. to help you.
    Hugs,
    Terry
  7. tngirl

tngirl New Member

In my previous post that my sister also has tmj problems and cannot wear a splint/bite guard or anthing like that. She has lichen plantis (a rash) in her mouth all the time.
    He doctor sent her to a physiotherapist who massaged her jaw (from inside) a couple of times a week for about 4 weeks. It helped her.
  8. tandy

tandy New Member

Better late then never right!? sorry it took so long for me to see this reply from you.
    I'm lost these days~
    I'm pretty possitive I have that TMJ. why not?? I got everything else!! lol
    But my dentist does'nt act or seem concerned.
    so,..like everything else I just ROOOOOOLLL
    with the punches~

seems a muscle relaxer would help huh?
    I have some that I hardly ever take,... I might try one tonight.
    Hugs
    Tandy
  9. tandy

tandy New Member

What differs between that Myofasial Pain syndrome,and TMJ?
    To me,..the symptoms sound alot the same.
    I could have either or? right.?

???????? always thinking
  10. SherylD

SherylD Guest

I think they are exactly the same...Everytime my jaw is bad.. the rest of me is bad..My dentist and chiro talk like they are the same.
  11. tngirl

tngirl New Member

Myofascial pain syndrome relates to the fascia which is a thin layer covering the muscles. The skin hurts when touched. I have this a lot, the doctor says I probably have this as well as fibromyalgia.

TMJ involves deterioration of the disc in the joint eventually causing bone to rub together.

Thats my impression from what I've been told and what I have read.
  12. SherylD

SherylD Guest

You are exactly right...

My problem with my jaw.. and I don't know about everyone else..is a muscle thing..My actual joint is ok..but all my muscles around it are not..But I still get treated for TMJ.

So I guess I was wrong to say the are exactly the same..I should say they are connected..It all goes together.?? I don't know.LOL

Myofacial pain can give you pain in your jaw and face..
  13. tngirl

tngirl New Member

I'm sorry I didn't mean to imply you couldn't have myofascial pain in your jaw. My doctor said I have both some joint deterioration and that a lot of the p[ain is from the muscles.

Myofascial pain can occur anywhere on the body. We're covered with muscles!
  14. victoria

victoria New Member

yes, really, honestly!

I went thru 20 years of chronic pain... many different dentists including one of the revered 'grandfathers' of TMJ treatments... and with many different splints, dry-needling jaw muscle spasms, muscle relaxants, etc., etc., etc., all of which worked 'for a while' but then the pain always came back within 6-8 months at best.

Had to quit a couple of jobs since talking too much set it off!

finally went to a dentist who could deal with pts on an individual basis instead of one-size-fits-all...

Everybody's problem IS different, but I can tell you it took 5 years, 2 of which were spent wearing splints to stabilize and readjust my bite and how my jaw moved...at that point I had no more jaw pain!!!!!

I could've stopped there and just worn a splint, but then I did orthodontics to 'fix' it permanently into what the splint did.

For me my lower jaw was moved very slightly forward and opened... and yes orthodontics are possible to make this a permanent thing!

I would highly suggest you see a dentist who has been trained in "functional orthodontics" - there is a website with a dentist locator in US and elsewhere for those who belong to the association...

all the best,
    Victoria
  15. PainSux

PainSux New Member

I have TMJ & have for years. 13 years ago I had to wear braces, upper & lower for 3 years to realign my jawline to correct it. It did improve my headaches alot but not completely. It did resolve my facial pain which wasn't as bad as the headaches. I still wear my retainer every night.

THE PROBLEM: I've been suffering w/TMJ pain again as of about the past two months. I think it has been brought on by stress related to me being out on Workmens Comp & the pressure to return to work. Eating stops me in my tracks while chewing w/the right side clicking out of joint. It's incredibly painful. I usually can deal w/it but the past two months are worse than it was when I treated it.

You mentoned "Functional Orthodontics". Is that specificallly a dental type of practice? I had my teeth cleaned this past week & the TMJ didn't give me any problem at that visit as I made them aware that it's bothering me & it's incredible how close to closed they let you keep your mouth! Also, I have to have a large filling removed this coming Tuesday & really wonder if I'm up to that & how much room they'll need....whatdaya think?
  16. marw

marw New Member

I had it so bad that my ear ached and I was constantly going to the ear doc thinking something was wrong. My glands were swollen in my neck, my jaw was so sore inside and out that I couldn't chew, even had trouble swallowing.

My doctor (not dentist) sent me to an oral surgeon who did a different type x-ray...it x-rays the joint too. He, too, handles each person differently, and told me that he didn't think shots or mouth guards would work for me, and sent to a special Physical Therapist who did this kind of thing.

She did trigger point massage inside my mouth and out, and taught me how to do it to myself (I keep a box of vinyl gloves in the bathroom, to massage as I need to....no longer need to every day), and keep the ligaments and tendons loose in my jaw, and good circulation in the gums. I'v never had a recurrence of it!!! Like a miracle.!

Hope your find relief. I do think the answer is individual. Find what works for you. But don't underestimate the power of PT on the jaw. It works just like working on any other joint in the body.

Margaret