Question for everyone????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 2BPainfree, Dec 9, 2002.

1. 2BPainfree

2BPainfree New Member

Reasearch question: Since "high Energy" seems to be a common thread prior to getting sick..........

Do any of you feel that attention deficit discorder ADD could have played a role in your life prior to getting sick?
    I know I had endless energy and never sat down for a minute. I was not "hyper" however I can remember talking and thinking awfully fast quite often (even thinking other people were too slow at times). I had no trouble sitting through lectures ect (as long as I was interested) and went through college fine.

However, one day I hit the ceiling (or the floor....LOL)
    it seemed my go-go-go finally got up and went. I developed severe concentration problems along with everything else, Pain ect. (as everyone does with this stupid disease)

I had to think long and hard but I do seem to think I had symptoms of ADD (As someone said in response to a previous post: you don't have to be hyper or be unable to pay attention to things to have ADD. I have recently read with ADD sometimes the problem is a "over-focus" with a intense sensitivity to stimuli including touch!! as well as the other senses. The Adrenals, neurotransmitters and cortisols are all directly linked to both.

I think this is VERY interesting, seems to me there could be a close link. SOooooo.... I am inquiring to all of you to test this theory....Since "high energy" seems to have been a precursor for many of us:

QUESTION:
    "if you think back long and hard, could it be possible ADD to some degree could have played a role in your life?"

Maybe we are all just on MAJOR "Burn-out" from it! Maybe OUR poor adrenals are just shot from depletion from over active brain chemicals/neurotransmitters overfiring or underfiring (typical with ADD)....so along came a host of other things/illnesses.

Maybe I'm barking up a already "thought out" tree. I just haven't ever heard of the two being actually "linked"
    Maybe someone has more info....I would love to hear what you think!

Susan/Calif

2. 2BPainfree

2BPainfree New Member

Reasearch question: Since "high Energy" seems to be a common thread prior to getting sick..........

Do any of you feel that attention deficit discorder ADD could have played a role in your life prior to getting sick?
    I know I had endless energy and never sat down for a minute. I was not "hyper" however I can remember talking and thinking awfully fast quite often (even thinking other people were too slow at times). I had no trouble sitting through lectures ect (as long as I was interested) and went through college fine.

However, one day I hit the ceiling (or the floor....LOL)
    it seemed my go-go-go finally got up and went. I developed severe concentration problems along with everything else, Pain ect. (as everyone does with this stupid disease)

I had to think long and hard but I do seem to think I had symptoms of ADD (As someone said in response to a previous post: you don't have to be hyper or be unable to pay attention to things to have ADD. I have recently read with ADD sometimes the problem is a "over-focus" with a intense sensitivity to stimuli including touch!! as well as the other senses. The Adrenals, neurotransmitters and cortisols are all directly linked to both.

I think this is VERY interesting, seems to me there could be a close link. SOooooo.... I am inquiring to all of you to test this theory....Since "high energy" seems to have been a precursor for many of us:

QUESTION:
    "if you think back long and hard, could it be possible ADD to some degree could have played a role in your life?"

Maybe we are all just on MAJOR "Burn-out" from it! Maybe OUR poor adrenals are just shot from depletion from over active brain chemicals/neurotransmitters overfiring or underfiring (typical with ADD)....so along came a host of other things/illnesses.

Maybe I'm barking up a already "thought out" tree. I just haven't ever heard of the two being actually "linked"
    Maybe someone has more info....I would love to hear what you think!

Susan/Calif

3. sls1968

sls1968 New Member

Susan,

I don't believe that this was the contributing factor to my DD. I would have to lay the blame on the crummy childhood that I had. The endless abuse and neglect would be my first guess for my case.

I was however, high energy. I was always on the go. I think, though, that was my way of dealing with my circumstances. Never sitting still and staying out of the way.

Take care,
    Sonja
  4. 2BPainfree

2BPainfree New Member

That's a good point...
    I think I also developed behaviors of over-acheiving to get people to "Like" me.
    As a child I also was neglected and a abused from a "wacko" mom. I tried to stear clear of her.

I think it's good that we all keep putting ideas on the table to try and make SOME sense of this sensless disease.

Thanks for answering,
    Susan

5. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I definitely think others do things too slowly. On every job I had before I got to sick to work, they had to hire at least two people, and in once case four people, to replace me when I left.
    Slowpokes drive me bananas!
    However, I do not have any other ADD/ADHD symptoms, and never have. As a former Psychiatric Social Worker, I am very familiar with the symptoms. The only common thread I see is dysregulated brain chemistry, which certainly could lean more toward ADD/ADHD symptoms in some than in others. Even the abuse that other posters mention fits in to this, since constantly having to be on alert for trouble will eventually change your brain chemistry and cause your sympathetic nervous system to be "on" all the time.
    I was not abused, but I was born to two very sensitive, nervous parents who regarded the world as a scary and dangerous place, so it's only to be expected that I would be the same way. This, I feel, is the genetic predisposition in my case, that was triggered when my nervous system was injured in a car accident with severe head/neck injuries. From then on, I have been like a raw, exposed nerve.
    I'd like to see some research done on this. Thanks for bringing it up.
    Klutzo

[ advertisement ]