question for FFC goers...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by andrea1459, Feb 22, 2006.

1. andrea1459

andrea1459 New Member

I have my 1st appointment at the FFC in King of Prussia on March 20th. After talking with alot of people with CFS, I have found that vitamins and minerals are the way to go. Right now I am only on Centrum Silver, and know that I do need to add to that. My question is does the FFC include vitamin and mineral treatments in their treatment plan? I wouldn't even know where to start with what vitamins and how many each day on my own.

Thanks
    Andrea
  2. jane32

jane32 New Member

I go to the same office. I take Fatgiued to Fantastic drink mix for my multi. I took it before I saw them alhtough they do sell it. My cardiologist recommended that an NADH in the morning. Dr. G will help you through everything though. Hopefully, the treatment plans work for you. Everyone is super nice.

How long have you been sick? DO you live near Philly?
    [This Message was Edited on 02/22/2006]
  3. andrea1459

andrea1459 New Member

I have been sick for 3 years. My first appointment with them is on March 20th. I also have sleep apnea. I am going to ask them if I should get the surgery or not, I cannot use the machine they gave me. I am in Trenton NJ, so it will take me an hour to get there.

Andrea
  4. LISALOO

LISALOO New Member

I go to a different FFC, but yes, they do but you on vitamins and minerals depending on your test results and specific problems. For me they've put me on extra B vit, COQ10, NADH, proboost, fatigued to fantastic, amonst others. They give you sheets with what to take, how often, and what it does.
  5. Hootie1

Hootie1 New Member

Get the surgery! I had it done in Nov 05- what a difference! I am so happy to be rid of that stupid CPAP
  6. thirkmom

thirkmom New Member

I too have sleep apnea and just cannot tolerate the CPAP. I think that is when some of my sleep problems started. I am so clausterphobic but I tried and tried to wear the mask anyway. What I would have to do was to be so dead tired that I was ready to drop. Then I'd fall asleep really fast only to wake up in 2 hrs. I found that I can't sleep more than 2 hours no matter what on CPAP.
    I finally gave up and just wear a nasal cannula on 2L of O2. The problem is I still stay up until I drop because I can't stand to lie in bed in pain and not be able to sleep.
    Then I only sleep 4-5 hrs. I am constantly in a state of pain and exhaustion which causes more problems and the vicious cycle contiues

I would take Ambien or something for sleep but that sounds stupid because I have really bad day-time sedation--almost narcoleptic so I take 400 mg. of Provigil which is very expensive to help me stay a wake all day. Even when I was getting a good nights sleep I still had the day time sedation.

When I was first dx with sleep apnea, my Dr. told me I had to absolutely lose weight. Because of my health problems and the side effects of my meds. I had gained up to 300# (a fact which disgust me even today). Not able to exercise and because of my "dead" metabolism, we mortgaged the house and I had a gatric bypass 3 years ago. I lost and have kept off 115 #'s. I went back to my Dr. and the weight loss did nothing for the sleep apnea.

My Dr. suggested surgery but I wasn't ready for another surgery. I heard you're pretty miserable after surgery. Could you share your experience with me--I need to do something.? LuAnn

7. Hootie1

Hootie1 New Member

I prepared for my surgery well in advance. Planned for someone to take my son here and there for about a week and a half, knowing that I would not be able to drive. Also, planned out my pills - I wasn't going to the FFC at the time so I only had a few prescriptions and vitamins besides the post surgery pills. Be sure to get all of the post surgery prescriptions ahead of time.

One important bit of info- I was taking wellbutrin and realized that it could not be crushed because it was time-released. As a result, it was necessary for my doctor to prescribe a different version that can be crushed. I seperated all of my pills in little baggies (very small) and labeled them for am, midday, and pm. Also indicated whether I needed to take them with food. My husband ended up crushing them for me, but I believe that you can crush them ahead of time as well. I had my surgery 2 days before Thanksgiving so that I would not have to take off so many days of work. I ordered the Thanksgiving meal ahead of time so that my husband and son only needed to heat everything up.

Also picked up all of the prescriptions ahead of time, including those necessary for post surgery (antibiotics, magic swirl- which was a lifesaver!!! Also, painkillers).

I bought popcycles (lots of them!), hard candy to include peppermint and ginger for nausea, and pedialyte. Also, bought the migraine strips, and anything else that I could think of.

Have everything ready ahead time - this is key. I get very sick from anestegia (sp?) so I knew that I would be nauseated and not able to keep anything down for a few days because this is normal for me.

It wasn't as bad as I had anticipated, but rule of thumb- prepare for the worst so that anything better will be good.

I am very glad that I had the surgery because, like you, I was not able to continue to use the CPAP. My symptoms were much worse prior to the surgery because my body was not repairing itself.

Be sure to have your ENT explain everything in advance- I had the SOMA and the MUPP. Because I had the SOMA, I believe my recovery was a bit longer. It will depend on the type of surgery that you will need. I ended up staying home 2 weeks from work. I was up and able within about 1 1/2 weeks, but stayed off because I have such a long commute and the job is demanding. It truly does vary from person to person.

Good luck - stay in touch- be strong and do what you need to do. Keep your eye on the prize. I was very proud of myself for doing this.

[This Message was Edited on 05/28/2006]
  8. thirkmom

thirkmom New Member

Thanks for all of the info. It's 3a.m. and I couldn't sleep so I got on the computer. I will read everything again tomorrow when it should make more sense.

Was it difficult to swallow? What kind of post op symptoms did you have other than the nausea. Generally I do okay with anesthesia but I'm like you--prepare for the worst. Will get back tomorrow before my head slams the keyboard, then no one will need surgery!!!Good night LuAnn
  9. Hootie1

Hootie1 New Member

My throat was not as much of a problem, truthfully. I actually went off the pain medicine 2 days afterwards because it was making me sick.

To me, it felt like I had a very sore throat - not as bad as I anticipated. I chewed on ice quite a bit, which was very soothing. I slept a lot and this helped the pain as well. The biggest relief for me was the Majic swirl or swizzle.. I forget - it was pink. That was a life saver. I sucked on cool pops to also cool down the throat.

I think that the main question for you will be - "what type of surgery will you have?" This is key because depending on the surgery, your recovery time will vary.

I am very glad that I had it done.
  10. thirkmom

thirkmom New Member

I appreciate you sharing your experience with me. I think it's about time to have something done, so I' make an appt tomorrow. Thanks. LuAnn
  11. Hootie1

Hootie1 New Member

Let me know how the appointment goes and good luck.