Question for FFC people taking Heparin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TwinMa, Dec 3, 2005.

1. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

What blood test result indicated you needed heparin treatments? Was it more than one test? What were your numbers?

Katy

[This Message was Edited on 12/04/2005]
  2. karatelady52

karatelady52 New Member

The blood test for ISAC (hypercoagulation) is performed by HEMEX labs.

Hypercoagulation is a build up of fibrin in our blood (sometimes referred to as sticky blood) as a result of infections.

I think I heard that around 75% of those with chronic illnesses have hypercoagulation.

Sometimes, if our illness has been over a long period of time, the test can actually come back close to normal yet the hypercoagulation is still there. Anyway, that is my understanding of it. I've been on Heparin shots and I know they are helping root out the lyme.

Sandy
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The HEMEX Lab website, it will describe the ISAC panel which is used to detect hypercoagulation. I don't know whether this is the same test used by the FFC's or not.

Like most everything else, my doc and I tried the Heparin empirically. My SED Rate was at a 2 (it had been down to a 1 at one point). SED Rates aren't definitive for hypercoagualtion but they can be indicitive of it.

I did Heparin injections for 2 1/2 months and started to bleed at the injection sites, so I decided to stop the injections. All the time I was doing them, I was having a strong immune reaction, most likely from the exposed pathogens in the bloodstream.

Hope this helps.

Love, Mikie
  4. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Hemex was a good website. It had good info on ISAC (Immune System Activation of Coagulation). Thank you Sandy and Mikie for pointing me there.

It also had a good pdf file listing Transfer Factors and which pathogen they target. It lists the Pro Health Transfer Factors. I'm surprised this isn't on Pro Health's web site.

I still can't tell which test on my FFC results would point to a coagulation defect. Fibrinogen, maybe?? I certainly don't see anything that looks like ISAC.

Any other FFCers know?

Katy
  5. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

This is what I found:

To determine whether one or more of your coagulation factors is missing, deficient, or dysfunctional they use PTT (pro-trombin time) and fibrinogen. I had both tests and they were within normal range.

PTT- 27 (range 22-34 seconds) This blood test measures the time it takes blood to clot

Fibrinogen: 258 (range 175-425 mg) normal is around 200
    The ability to form and break down blood clots

6. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

That is exactly what I was looking for!

My PTT is 25 and my Fibrinogen is 278. So I guess I am good on both fronts. Whew!! At least it's one thing I don't have to worry about.

Now if I can just get myself to take that Acyclovir to deal with the EBV, I will be on my way!

Thanks for the info!!

Katy
  7. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

Fibrogen/PTT:
    Your results are similar to mine!

I'm still on the heavy antibiotics and antivirals.

You'll have to get started. Just work your way up.

Cindy
    [This Message was Edited on 12/05/2005]