Question for Indiana friends

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by zielskawoman, Feb 27, 2006.

1. zielskawoman

zielskawoman New Member

Has anyone been to Mary Jacobs at the IU Medical Center in Indianapolis? She is a Rheumatologist and I have been considering getting a second opinion with her. My current Rheumy has me seeing the nurse practioner and she isn't very helpful.

Thanks
  2. skierchik

skierchik New Member

I was born and raised in Indpls. I live in CO now. I don't know of her, but I do know that IU Med is very, very good. If you have the opportunity to go, it's probably a good idea.

Let us know how it goes.

Hope you feel better soon,

skierchik
  3. Hi there, I don't know her either, I was diagnosed, however, by a Dr Ang, there, in October 2001, he was young, and very nice, but, although he diagnosed me, and put me on Doxepin (Sinequan)sp? for sleep & pain help, that was about as far as he could go... I don't think he could really treat my fibromyalgia...unfortunately.

I agree, IU is a fairly good hospital, I have been to their gastroenterology department several times, and they have pretty good doctors there. When I had my Endoscopic Ultrasound there for my pancreas, I had the sweetest doctor, who's belly was about to pop! LOL She was due to have a baby in 3 weeks, lol, she was very, very kind, and thorough.

All I can say is that I would NOTTTT recommend EASTSIDE Rheumatology. THIS I DO KNOW. There is a Doctor there that I literally had to FIRE in order to get off of an anti-depressant, that caused me to have heart problems. I'm still on heart medication.

I may have ended up having heart problems later down the road somehow anyways,... or not, but, that medication, (Effexor) (ER?) is the reason I started on and never quit atenolol, for heart palpitations, and though those stopped finally, the tachycardia never did. (fast heart rate)

I hope this rheumatologist works out for you, I was treated fine by Dr Ang there, he was a "student dr" there, and was great with me, told me I was a "classic case of fibromyalgia", after reviewing my records, and history, and examining me, except....I absolutely did NOT agree with one part that he told me...

He told me, that, if I walked, 2 minutes, a week, and then increased by 1 minute a week, working it up to 15 minutes, or some such nonsense...and I QUOTE, this part: "do that, and in TWO YEARS, YOU WILL BE BETTER" What in the world!!!
    LOL!!!!!! My mom and I (who also has fibromyalgia awful, for 17 years or so now,) HAD to laugh at that part!

I mean, did this doctor just grab that part out of the thin air... or what?? That to me just did not make one bit of sense...exercise,,, yes, we all know that... but, walk, TWO minutes, and increase each week, then in TWO YEARS!! you will be better??
    Sure thing. He also told me, "No, not really" When I said, Ok, I know that smoking is bad for me, and that as a doctor,you have to tell me that, but does it affect my fibromyalgia one way or another, is it bad for me, circulation wise?? Does it affect it, ?

So, I do hope that you are at least treated respectfully by this doctor, and that you will get some help, I did not though, get any follow up appointment, or treatment from there, as they are a teaching school...I guess, They teach....diagnose...and...send em back to their doctor, with rheumatology/Fibromyalgia... :-( but..that was FIVE years ago, and a totally different doctor.. SO....

I wish you the very best of luck!

((((((Hugs!))))))

When is your appointment??

Take care,

Laura

4. zielskawoman

zielskawoman New Member

I can't get in to see Dr. Jacob until the third week in July!! They put me on a waiting list too. I know what you mean about taking Effexor XR. I had to get off of it too. I tried exercising this weekend and took a short walk in the park with my two Bichon Frise's and ran some errands with my husband and by Sunday afternoon I was in bed with terrible leg pain and slept for five hours. I work all week and I hate not to do things on the weekend. Take care!!

Hugs
    Mona
  5. skierchik

skierchik New Member

I've been reading a book called "Detoxify or Die", by Sherry Rogers, M.D. She lives out east somewhere. Anyway, she wrote another book called "Pain Free in 6 Weeks". My doctor is having me read the first one because I have had lots of brain fog, memmory problems, lack of focus, great fatigue all over etc,. Well, I tested positive for mercury and pesticides. I also had 4 surgeries in 4 months to my leg because of a ski accident and the docs pumped me full of toxins. I new that toxins were probably the culprit for my great fatigue, but I coldn't find anyone to confirm this. Several years have gone by and although I made some improvement, I had a long way to go and wasn't sure how to go about it.

I had CF/ and FM off and on for 8 years or so and have done a lot of research and reading. I got myself better by detoxing on my own, but after the ski accident it wasn't working as well.

Well, I was missing a very important supplement...Glutathione. We don't have enough of this as we age or get ill. I probably had near none and that's why detoxing wasn't working as quickly or as well this time. My doc has me doing some strange protocols, but it's working very well!!! I'm feeling much better and all this time it was just toxins. Maybe it is just that simple!!

Anyway, "Pain Free in 6 Weeks" says that you're toxic and the cells can't take up Magnesium, sodium, potassium etc. until you allow the cell to start releasing the toxins. She says she can help arthritis, fibromyalgia, colitis, lupus, etc.

I think its a great place for you to start if you want to try something on your own. Most docs just give you drugs which make you much worse in the long run. Dr. Rogers explains all this. You can look up the stuff he has me doing...I've written it for everyone to try.

Hope this helps.

skierchik