Question for Karen barrowinnovationsrelocating abroad/SSD

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by brainfoggy, May 31, 2008.

1. brainfoggy

brainfoggy New Member

Hi Karen

I'm thinking of leaving the states. I just got turned down for SSD disability and I'm living with some poor guy who didn't know what he was getting into...neither did I at the time. If I were self sufficient things would be different. I haven't decided exactly where (thinking Costa Rica or somewhere in Cenral Amer, Caribbean) and if I can even work being ill... I have a few places in mind. My questions to you are:

What made you pick Dominican Republic?
    Is it more difficult/easy for you being sick there than it would be here, in what ways?
    Do you have plans to come back to the states?
    How did you go about relocating?
    Are you glad you made the move?

I'm mainly interested in living somewhere where it is cheap enough so that I don't necessarily have to work, but if I need to I can find work. I also don't know if I should battle it out with SSD before I go or not. If you or anyone else knows if I could still collect SSD while living in a different country I would appreciate advice on this and any recommendations for getting out.

Thank you
    Mandy

2. victoria

victoria New Member

My DH and I are (still) thinking about moving to Mexico for many $$ reasons... so I've looked into this too.

You CAN collect SSD or SS retirement anywhere, but not SSI. Some get confused between the differences -

(SSD is for those who worked enough quarters to qualify and the monthly amount depends on your income over the last few quarters (I forget the number), and do receive MediCare (altho that won't help in a foreign country),

SSI is for those who did not work enough quarters to qualify for SSD, or have not worked for many years, PLUS do not have more than a very tiny amount of assets... usual monthly amount on SSI is only about $560 altho some states supplement (not all do tho). Instead of MediCare, you get MedicAid.)

Many doctors in Mexico and the Caribbean do speak English, I know people who've moved and had no problems. Usually excellent care is received, and meds are much cheaper as the US is the ONLY country to not have bargained on prices with big pharma. Also because there is a lot of agriculture there, produce prices are cheaper.

One thing that attracted me to Mexico is that it is possible to buy a national health care policy there for about $400 USD... I pay a little less than that monthly for only hospitalization with an extremely high deductible. --Karen, I'm curious, is something similar available there?

If you have a sense of adventure (I'm sure Karen would agree with this), it's something to consider...

(Karen... we'd consider the Dom. Rep. but, I admit, I'm scared of all the hurricanes! - so we've pretty much written off anywhere in the Gulf/Caribbean ... even tho we'd love to sail there! We're considering the Pacific coast of Mexico... or perhaps a bit further inland.)

all the best,
    Victoria

PS: I'd fight it out to get SSD if I were you...

[This Message was Edited on 05/31/2008]
  3. momof27

momof27 New Member

I WAS THERE FOUR YEARS AGO I KNOW IF I HAD OF BEEN SINGLE I COULD HAVE GOT HELP FREE COLLEGE, FREE HEALTH CARE, I WAS MARRIED SO I COULDN'T GET IT BUT CHECK OUT THE WELFARE TO WORK PROGRAM I THINK AS LONG AS YOUR TRYING TO GET A JOB YOU WILL GET HELP AND IF YOU CAN'T WORK THEY WILL HELP YOU WITH FREE MEDICAL, THERE ARE FREE CLINICS IN CALIF. NOT WHERE I MOVED TO.

THERE IS SOOOO MUCH HELP IN CALIFORNIA START SEARCHING AND YOU WILL BE SHOCKED.
  4. brainfoggy

brainfoggy New Member

I'll get in touch with you later Karen. Mexico not so appealing, not sure why... although I do have to say Baja is really beautiful.

I have tried to get medical care with Medical but was denied because I'm not pregnant, homeless or an immigrant or something ridiculous like that. I will check into state programs and see what the state has to offer, I know that CA takes care of their people but I also know they make it tough nowadays with all the immigrants. I actually have lived here less than a year. It has been a beautiful place to recover but is expensive and even if I could manage to do some part time job, would never be able to get ahead here.

Thanks for the suggestions!