question for Klutzo

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by elaine_p, Jun 23, 2003.

1. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

Why is margarine bad? I used butter for awhile after hearing the term "plastic food" regarding margarine. But after avoiding for 9 months I'm still somewhat sensitive to milk products so figure I should use marg instead of butter. (If I'm going to ingest milk I'd rather do it with something like cheese.)

I wish all the food companies would quit using Nutrasweet, sucralose, etc., and just use crystalline fructose since that's a natural sugar and probably better for us. It was hard for me to kick my Diet Coke habit, but I'm glad I did--now I only have one DC a month or less often.
  2. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Margarine is loaded with trans-fats. Trans-fats are unnatural molecules and they raise LDL (bad) cholesterol, and lower HDL (good) cholesterol. They are far worse than the natural fats found in butter. Any time you see the words "partially hydrogenated" on a label, you are getting trans-fats and should stay away.
    However, butter is no prize, unless you are normal weight with a great cholesterol profile. I take Lactaid so I can have dairy products. It works really well.
    The best choice is olive oil. Olive oil tastes great on bread (though I am anti-bread too, and do not eat it, but that's another story). Olive oil has the good (monounsaturated) fats that help your health rather than hurting it.
    Fructose is very hard for your body to digest and can be a major contributer to Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Stevia is by far the best sweetener choice.
    I'm glad you cut down your diet coke. I'd rather see you drink a regular coke if you must have one though. You may be interested in knowing that several studies show that people who drink diet soda actually gain weight in the long run. They make up the calories elsewhere in their diet.
    Have a good day!
    Klutzo
    [This Message was Edited on 06/24/2003]
  3. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

I think trans-fats were on my mental list to get around to researching sometime. You'd think after 6 years I'd know not to have mental lists.... Or maybe I just kept forgetting to write it down.

I saw some posts on Stevia, too. And was going to get around to trying that too. Thanks for the info on fructose. (Just started sea salt. Going to start MSM--at least 'til mosquito season is over. OLE and CoQ10 are after that. Then, who knows.)

I've been kinda slow about trying things because for the first 2-1/2 years I had no income. Then I was frustrated because, what do you try? And I was in denial about food sensitivites--so that was last year (as well as getting off the Diet Coke, which is when I switched to Coke, which is when I found out I'm hypoglycemic--you sure can lose weight when you don't eat milk products or sugar!).

Another interesting thing about Diet Coke is, years ago I switched to grapefruit juice for awhile. I didn't lose any pounds after the switch, but I lost inches.

Anyway, you didn't need to know all that. But thanks for replying. And thanks for all the other informative messages you always post!
    [This Message was Edited on 06/24/2003]
  4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

But.....grapefruit and grapefruit juice have an acid in them that dramatically slows down your livers ability to remove toxins from your body. You'd be much better off with orange juice, though with hypoglycemia, you really should not drink juices at all. Stick to whole fruits.
    Sorry to keep telling you what NOT to eat!
    Klutzo
  5. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

Picking nits is okay. I'm all for sharing info and admitting when I don't know something (usually). Thankfully the grapefruit juice was, as I said, many years ago.

Okay, checked your bio, which is why you know so much about nutrition! I have the Dummies Guide to Nutrition, which I haven't gotten through very far yet. Is there a book(s) out there for laymen that puts all this stuff together??? And is there a book that talks about supplements, when best to take them (with/without food), and any interactions with other supplements or drugs? And how do you tell if the author knows what they're talking about or not? This stuff can be frustrating because studies can be cited that support practically whatever position a person wants.

I know I can do a web search for the interactions, and I plan to. But then, how do you know if the author knows what they're talking about, etc.... (Plus, I'm a book person and books are easier to use than loose paper.)

Thanks yet again!!!