Question for ladies re: menstruation

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LadyMT, Aug 15, 2003.

1. LadyMT

LadyMT New Member

I was talking to a friend of mine who also has FMS and she just happened to mention having TERRIBLE cramps the first few years she had her period. I did too. We both hurt so badly that we ended up doubled over in bed and vomiting. Nothing would help me but to sleep it off.

Has anyone else had this problem? Just curious.
  2. tandy

tandy New Member

not the first few years!!! but I made up for it after!!
    I really never had a problem with my monthly untill I hit 30`. Then my period pain got worse and worse,really bad cramping(black out type!),pelvic pain,nausea,back pain,etc... I knew something was'nt right. I had a diagnostic laproscopy and they found loads of endometriosis. I'm still fighting that pain monthly along with FM......Oh the joys of being a woman!!
  3. ljcishoping

ljcishoping New Member

I ALSO HAVING CRAMPS BADLY! NEVER UNTIL THE PASR YEAR, IT IS ALSO PART OF FM.JOIN THE CLUB HONEY IT WILL GET BETTER! I TAKE A GOODY POWDER WHICH HELPS MY CRAMOS SOME WHAT ONLY THING I FOUNF THAT WOULD HELP, TALK TO YOUR DOC. AND SEE WHAT HE HES TO OFFER YOU! GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS!
    LISA
  4. Myth

Myth New Member

The first few years were quite bad but I thought it was normal. Then it subsided a bit when i went on the pill. Now that I am not on the pill it is back with a vengance. So much pain and cramping that, yes, I get ill to my stomach and vomit. When it gets that bad I do not move from the bed- except to stumble to the bathroom. Four hours of agonizing pain before I finally fall asleep.
    Myth
  5. FM58

FM58 New Member

Hi,
    I had the same prob, was having my period extra heavy, spent days in bed (my kids were young at the time) I had numerous laproscopy, D&C's. I attempted taking the pill (awful experience, I was sooo sick) The time between periods would get shorter & shorter each month and my period lasted longer and longer, heaver & heaver. It was time to do something about it. I went through years of meds, D&C and lapros looking for answers.

I ended up having a hysterectomy (kept my ovaries) at the age of 36. I wasn't dx fibro at the time, however now looking back I am sure I was, this was probably near the beginning of it all. By OB/Gyn at the time dx me w/ adenomyosis, which is something similar (but no where near as common)to endometriosis but different. Leave it to me to get the weird stuff, my body always does.

I am definetly NOT recommending surgery. I am just letting you know what I ending up doing. I felt I had explored all other opportunities. So I'd at the very least schedule a visit with your OB/GYN to discuss how awful and unbearable your periods are. Perhaps from a gyn viewpoint there is something he/she can help you with. Sometimes BC pills are helpful. Sometimes, a D&C procedure helps temporarily. A lapro can tell id there is endometriosis which will contribute greatly to cramps, nausea, vomiting etc. However, most gynos are not going to treat due to one awful cycle - there has to be a hystory of several months of problem cycles.

Good luck!! Feel better soon.

Patty[This Message was Edited on 08/16/2003]
  6. pam_d

pam_d New Member

So bad I remember passing out in the ladies room in high school; when I fell, I hit the edge of the sink so hard, I had a concussion. I came to on the floor with everybody fussing over the huge bump on my head; but all I still felt was the massive cramps!

Hugs,
    Pam
  7. LadyMT

LadyMT New Member

since I started taking the pill and had children. But I was just wondering how many others had the problem. Is it something that maybe ladies with FMS have? Is there a connection?
  8. mitch123

mitch123 New Member

I had terrible problems with my periods. I started getting them twice a month and the pain would also make me throw up I would go white and feel so sick. I cured the problem with acupuncture and I haven't had a twinge of pain since!
    michelle
  9. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

I notiticed increased pain a few months ago when starting my period. More pain in the right hip and leg.

10. swred5

swred5 New Member

Mine have always been bad, but getting worse as I get older (now 31). Also noticed it makes my fibro pain even worse during that week. Asked my doctor if there was anyway to get rid of my period, as I was taking the pill, and still having terrible cramps. He suggested starting the Depro Provera injections, you do them every 3 months. I am terrified of needles, but hated the extra pain I was even worse. From the first injection all I had for the first 3 months was a very light spotting (normal), not even enought to have to wear a pantyliner. Of course it is no cure for my fibro pain, but has taken away the terrible menstral pain!!

[ advertisement ]