question for Lucky

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Information, Dec 22, 2002.

1. Information

Information New Member

Hi Lucky -- Thanks for the tip on the great website on cfs and fms. I haven't gone all through it -- the amount of information is really daunting -- and can't easily find out what is going on with our sinuses. I see no "search." Can you give me an idea of where to go on the site to find this -- or just let me know what you know? Thanks so much and happy holiday. -- Jo
  2. lucky

lucky New Member

I just found your message, but will have to go into detail later because I am running out of time.
    Have you been able to go on: www.beatcfsandfms.org/html/FungiStrategy.html (hope I am allowed to post this). At the bottom of the webpage you read press on Dr. Cranston's website in red letters. And here you will find all the explanations about the candida overgrowth. It makes so much sense to me since I experienced a great relief from many symptoms during the time of my Nizoral treatment. It was just amazing.
    Try to find the site and tell me if there is anything you like to know or explained, and I gladly will do it.
    Talk to you later, have to run now, Lucky
    [This Message was Edited on 12/23/2002]
  3. Information

Information New Member

Lucky - Thanks so much for the information. I hope you were running out the door on your way to a great Christmas. I will definitely check out these parts of the website and will get to the whole thing ASAP. --Jo
  4. lucky

lucky New Member

and I hope you'll find all the info you are looking for. I am so positive that the candida plays a major role in many of us. So, happy reading over the holidays.
    I have another appointment with my doctor and will see if he can continue my treatments with nystatin.
    By the way, there is also a candida message board where I picked up some great info as well from some members.
    Good luck and take care, Lucky

5. Information

Information New Member

Hi Lucky -- Well, here I am on Christmas day, thinking about yeast. It's a high calling, and I am not knocking it.
    I have real bad candida and find the anti-fungal medication I take does a good job of clearing up the sinus symptoms related to candida that I would call "allergy." What I am also interested in, though, is treating the sinus mucosa as a separate site (as opposed to my gut) for yeast infection. So I figures that putting "good" bacteria into my sinuses would do what it does in the mouth and gut.
    But, you know, if I don't get the fibro in hand, I am never going to get rid of the candida. In my case, it's so clear that depression of my autonomic nervous system (what normal person even wants to think about this stuff?) is causing the pituitary, adrenal and digestive problems that make me a hothouse for growing yeast. Diet helps, exercise helps, good environment helps (I am chemicaly sensitive), but there is just nothing that puts me over the top and that, I think, is because my illness is related to two very bad organophosphate pesticide exposures.
    Anyway, I hope you are having a great Christmas. Mine is bound to improve. --Jo
  6. lucky

lucky New Member

and thank you for your reply and your X-Mas greetings. I have been reading your post with interest and share my opinion about candida.
    If I would not have been able to experience the difference in my wellbeing with the Nizoral, I would not have believed it. A lot of my fluelike symptoms were slowly getting under control and the pain as well. Luckily, I found some 'old' Nystatin before I see my doctor on Monday to continue the treatment, since he did not want to prescribe the Nizoral again.
    If you read Dr. Cranston's webpage, you will also read that some part of our immune system is defect which is responsible to fight the fungus. I have read it, but not studied it yet, but will present this to my doctor as well. And, therefore, a sugarfree diet etc., alhough it helps, will not be enough to get rid of this poison in our system.
    If you have more on this as well and any experiences you can share with me, I would love to hear about it.
    Meanwhile, lets enjoy the holidays. Actually, it is the first time in so many years (that I cannot remember it), that I was not bedridden with one infection or another, all due to the Nizoral I am sure.
    Again, enjoy the holidays, Love Lucky

P.S. I forgot to ask what antifungal med are you on at the moment? Since I take the Nystatin powder, I feel that I do not have all the mucus build-up in the sinuses. I have been reading somewhere, that there will be a spray on the market to address the fungus in the sinuses. But, when this will be, I have no idea. Can it be that I found this info on the Mayo Clinic website?
    [This Message was Edited on 12/25/2002]
  7. Information

Information New Member

The yeast was, for a long time, my only apparent problem. Now, however, more fibro symptoms have started to manifest, and I am thinking that the candida is either a cause or symptom of the fibro and the relationship seems circular to me. I take diflucan -- this is a heavy duty drug, but I have "bugs" that so not seem to respond to nystatin. About the Mayo clinic -- I understand they have an excellent web site and I am also going to check it out for the name of the nose drug. (I have no insurance and am weeks away from being able to afford to see my doc about this, so will probably not get to it right away). You may not find all the information you need on the website and, if you don't, go ahead and call the clinic and ask to talk with anyone you see on the site mentioned in connection with sinus treatment. If that doesn't work, go for media or pubic affairs - let them know you are not with the media but that you need help. If you get to this before I do, please pass the info along. And the best book I have ever found about candida is "The Missing Diagnosis" by Dr. Orion Truss. He was the first to start treating the stuff and some of the information will seem dated -- although everything he says is solid. I assume it is still in print and can be obtained through Amazon. Also just put "candida" in your search engine and check out the web sites -- some are excellent.Hope your Christmas was a happy one. --Jo
  8. lucky

lucky New Member

With the holidays almost over now, I also will have more time to read all the newest infos on candida. Thank you for all the good tips. I am still quite intrigued and start to see part of my illness in a slightly different light, not because candida did not exist before, but because what role it can play in these dd's.
    In my case, I have both CFS/FMS for many years and know that the candida is not the reason why I have these illnesses. However, over the years, with a very dysfunct immune system and having one sinus infection/bronchitis and lately urinary tract infections after another, plus all the antitiotic meds, my pain and fluelike symptoms increased instead of getting better. And my eyes were opened after my latest treatment with Nizoral that there definately is a connection with candida overgrowth - the result of overburdening the immune system even more.
    I will see, what the doctor will say after I will present him with new facts etc. on Monday. I am following a very healthy diet und know that this in my case is not enough to get rid of the fungus. But as I read yesterday, there are some products which have been demonstrated to aid in the production of intestinal mucosa which is the primary defense mechanism in the GI tract.
    1. DGL - deglycyrrhizinated licorice
    2. Glucasamine and N-acetylclucosamine (NAG)
    3. Concanavolin A
    4. Digestive enzyme supplements
    5. Natural Antifungals
    I will concentrate on these, as well as garlic and grapeseed extract as well but will insist on further treatments with meds right now.
    For how long is your doctor prescribing your meds and do you have to go for a liver blood test inbetween?
    My concern is that most doctors are still shying away from a longterm prescription because of an eventual toxic liver. But if these drugs are not constantly taken, how can they eliminate the fungus? This is something, I want to clarify before seeing my doctor.
    Hope, that your holidays were relaxing and not too stressful.
    The sun is shining here, and I am getting slowly ready for our long trip to HH Island in South Carolina which I am looking forward too.