Question for MADWOLF or anyone...Pain Meds

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by paula45, Mar 21, 2003.

1. paula45

paula45 New Member

Hey There--

I'd sure like to know what you think about my situation. I've been on Vicodin ES two q6h for about a year (yea, I know, I'm killing my liver...) for severe back pain. I gave myself two compression fractures (T7 and T8) a year ago and have had pretty much intractable burning pain at the site of the fractures and in my ribs bilaterally in the back (no frontal rib pain). My fractures went undiagnosed (missed on MRI) for four months. I was told there was nothing wrong with my back, so I went to a chiropractor several times and am certain was reinjured over and over again before a different radiologist found the fractures on a chest x-ray. So, they went back and sure enough, they were on the original MRI. Needless to say, I'm a little pi**ed about that. Sorry....got off track. Back to meds. Last visit, my doc decided I should switch to Ultram. I took one dose and the pain was horrendous so I haven't done that again. The Vicodin only takes the edge off for about two hours then it's back. My question is this....Does Ultram have to build up in your system to be effective? Is this even a reasonable thing to be trying? I have a unbelievable tolerance to this type of med. I'm nearly impossible to sedate for surgical things e.g. colonoscopy, epidural injection and stuff. I have had a series of three epidurals to try for pain relief and it didn't work. I'm getting worse, have to spend a lot of time just lying down because pain meds don't work and I'm getting pretty down about the whole situation. Sorry this is so long for a simple question, but thought you might need a little background on the type of pain. thanks in advance for any input you could give me. Hope your herxing is letting up. (Yep, I read your posts :)
    Regards
    Paula
    [This Message was Edited on 03/21/2003]
    [This Message was Edited on 03/21/2003]
    [This Message was Edited on 03/23/2003]
  2. paula45

paula45 New Member

bumpity-bump
  3. paula45

paula45 New Member

another shameless bump...sorry
  4. teawah

teawah New Member

for Paula
  5. paula45

paula45 New Member

another little bump...
    Paula
  6. paula45

paula45 New Member

ditto--- hope you're logging on soon! We miss you!!
    Paula
  7. JP

JP New Member

I use Vicodin ES as well, for my back and other pain. There are many options. Ultram works well for some and not at all for others. You could use the same medication with 10 mgs of hydrocodone and 325mg of acetaminophen. This might give you better pain control and would be better on your liver by reducing the acetaminophen from 750mg to 325mg per pill. There are so many choices. Oxycontin works wonders for many. I did not have the results that I had hoped for when I tried Oxy. The epidural shot did not help me either. Chronic persistant back pain is difficult to treat. I use Elavil at bedtime for nerve pain. It is helpful too.

Take care,
    Jan
  8. paula45

paula45 New Member

for your responses. I'm seeing my PCP tomorrow and I don't know what he's got up his sleeve. Honestly, I think he justs wants me off Vicodin w/o a good alternative. I don't know what I'll do if he "cuts me off" other than search for a new PCP, and the thought of that horrifies me. Most recently I was sent to a neurologist who just suggested I get in some water aerobics and lose some weight (I weigh 130, 5'5"....gained 10 since the back injury). When I complained about the cold water and ungodly price at the only place in town, he told me water temp doesn't matter. I wanted to kick his shins and break his ugly glasses!!!! Sorry...I'm a little bitter. I appreciate you all so much. Madwolf, I think you're having an especially tough time right now and you have to know how much you're appreciated. People like you are rare and thank you from the bottom of this tired little heart!!!
    Hugs to all
    Paula
  9. FibroNan

FibroNan New Member

Paula,
    Maybe it's just me but if you are 5'5" and weigh 130, that doesn't sound overweight to me. Shame on your dr. I am 5'3 and weigh 143 pounds. I'm just now beginning to feel overweight. (I stayed at 110 for years and years. I think my weight gain is a combination of meds and quitting smoking).
  10. paula45

paula45 New Member

No Kidding!!! He was a dip-s**t...and, he was about 6 feet tall and probably weight 150. I guess he thought I should look like him. UGH...He was awful. May the fleas of a thousand camels infest his armpits!
    Paula