Question for Madwolf or anyone who knows

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lisjhn, Jan 2, 2003.

1. lisjhn

lisjhn New Member

I'm wondering if only taking 100 mg. of Neurontin nightly might help with pain and sleeplessness or is it a waste of time to take such a low dosage?

I can't tolerate Prozac, Paxil, Trazodone, Remeron, Serzone, Nortriptylene or Elavil.

10mg. of Prozac on the first day makes me just about have an anxiety attack, I feel like I'm climbing the walls, my heart races, my pulse rises, I get chest pains and I can't beathe. Paxil does about the same. Remeron and Serzone makes me get that tired but wired feeling I can't stand, nor can I sleep. 10 mgs. of Nortriptylene or Elavil seemed to do better but the weight gain made the side effects outweigh any benefits and I got no pain relief from it. Higher doses made me a walking zombie....I've tried a lot of stuff and I can't seem to find the right medication to help with pain, insomnia, fatigue and flu-like symptoms.

I've tried Neurontin 300mgs twice daily for two days and I felt drunk off my ass. Can't even remember if it helped with pain, too busy trying to stand without falling I guess.

Do you think trying just 100 mg. would be worth trying or a waste of time? Any other suggestions?

Thanks for any input, LISA
  2. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

The over tired feeling only lasted a few days, I started on 300 mg twice daily & went up to 3 daily in just a few days, why don't you try one 300 mg at bedtime or maybe just stick with it & see if it gets better, I have no wooziness now at all.

Jaci
  3. joannie1

joannie1 New Member

I have been in your shoes. I have had a terrible time with medications. GRRRR... I think that with the antidepressants you were either on too high of a dose or just plain allergic to them. My Doctor put me on Sarafem. I am tollerating this better. It is a prozac especially for woman. You may want to check into it.
    As for the Neurontin I was the same way with that too. I had to begin at 100mg three times a day too. It took qite a while for me to up the dosage to 300mg three times a day. My Doctor told me to gradually work myself up to it. To be my own judge on it so that is what I did. I felt really good with it once I was able to work up to the 300mg dosages. I would try to start on it lower. I would try to take 100mg in the morning and afternoon and take the 300mg at bed time. Or something of that nature. Just do it gradually.
    I hope this helps some and wish you luck. i know the flusteration of it all.
    Joannie
  4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I am on 100 mgs. at bedtime right now. The first two days I was so tired I dragged. Now it is doing nothing, so I have called my doc to get the dose upped. I am taking it to try to stop overreacting to noise, crowds, and fools, and to stop grinding my teeth.
    Klutzo
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I really like the two articles in our library by Dr. Paul Cheney, one on Klonopin and the other on SSRI's and Stimulants. The article on Klonopin, which is an antiseizure med like Neurontin, does such a good job of explaining our sleeplessness, anxiety, RLS, and sensory overload. The one on SSRI's and stimulants explains why they just exacerbate our problems in the long run. Both are worth reading.

What is amazing are the docs who will prescribe Neurontin or Klonopin at night and prescribe SSRI's or stimulants during the day. It's crazy.

Love, Mikie
  6. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

My doctor just started me on Neurontin. For a few days I took 100 mg. at bedtime. Now I'm up to 300 mg. and am also taking 75. mg. of Trazadone at bedtime. I was groggy for a day or two, but it's getting better. I have difficulty falling asleep - I have Restless Leg Syndrome and can't sleep - so this combo really helps. I hope this helps!

Annette2