Question for Madwolf (others too) TSH - DR appt Monday

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by j9miller, Aug 22, 2003.

1. j9miller

j9miller New Member

My last TSH was 11.64. I have an appointment Monday with an endocrinoligist. She is said to be good at treating thyroid conditions but not sure of her experience with FM. I was also recently (well, last November) dx with PCOS. I currently am taking Vicoprofen 3x a day, 2 tabs at a time (7.5/200mg each) and Topamax (75mg a night).

QUESTION: Is Armour or Synthroid the better drug choice for hypothyroidism?

Any advice before my appointment Monday is appreciated. Anything I should talk with her about? Tests I should request? Help?!

Janine
    [This Message was Edited on 08/22/2003]
  2. j9miller

j9miller New Member

Thank you so much for the response ... and so quickly. I will try to explain this to my new dr.

As always, you are wonderful for taking the time to explain things. Thank you.

Janine
  3. j9miller

j9miller New Member

CPRN911

Thanks so much for the reply and all the info. I must admit I have put off going to the endo to be treated for the PCOS since being dx last Nov. I had an Endometrial ablation done and was just sick of drs so put it off. I know my insulin resistance has gotten worse. I see the endo on Monday morning. Am sure she will get the ball rolling on all of this. I must admit I feel like garbage. Between the horrible pain and the fatigue I do not know how I am even functioning sometimes.
    Well, I will let you know what happens. Thanks again.

Janine
  4. BethM

BethM New Member

assuming PCOS= polycystic ovary syndrome, I also have had that diagnosis for many years. I am currently on continuous low dose oral contraceptives, which has made a great difference for me. Cycling with them helped the PCOS to resolve, but not the fibro problems. My NP convinced me to stop cycling, because the fibro flared EVERY time I cycled. It took several months of continuous hormones, but while I still cycle very mildly in terms of symptoms (haven't had a period in months! yay!), I feel more human more of the time, barring other factors, of course. For the record, I am 48 and still perimenopausal, as far as I can tell.

Hope that is useful info for you!

Peace,
    Beth.