question for Marla--compression fractures

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by paula45, Nov 27, 2002.

1. paula45

paula45 New Member

Hi Marla and Welcome--

It's great to have a chiro here to answer our questions. My story is really long, so I'll try to shorten it. I gave myself two compression fractures (T7 and T8) that went undiagnosed for four months. (MRI misread and finally seen on chest x-ray)... I was in excruciating pain and, being told that there was nothing wrong, I tried everything including my chiropractor (who I really think a lot of). But, I don't think he understood how completely excruciating my pain was/is...even after he found out that I had the fractures. I finally quit going because it was just too painful. Here's the problem. I have really awful C-spine problems too and the adjustments DO help my neck. Is it reasonable at all to ask a chiropractor to adjust my neck and hip, and leave my mid-back alone for a while? Dumb question? I feel like I desperately need my neck worked on. At this time, I'm seeing a pain doc who has done two rounds of injections---facet injections bilaterally at C2-3,3-4,4-5 and 5-6 and epidural injection at T7-8. I've had too much pain since the last injections a week ago and don't know if I'll do it again next week. Would love some input. Thanks and again...welcome.
    Hugs
    Paula
    [This Message was Edited on 11/27/2002]
  2. paula45

paula45 New Member

Hi Marla and Welcome--

It's great to have a chiro here to answer our questions. My story is really long, so I'll try to shorten it. I gave myself two compression fractures (T7 and T8) that went undiagnosed for four months. (MRI misread and finally seen on chest x-ray)... I was in excruciating pain and, being told that there was nothing wrong, I tried everything including my chiropractor (who I really think a lot of). But, I don't think he understood how completely excruciating my pain was/is...even after he found out that I had the fractures. I finally quit going because it was just too painful. Here's the problem. I have really awful C-spine problems too and the adjustments DO help my neck. Is it reasonable at all to ask a chiropractor to adjust my neck and hip, and leave my mid-back alone for a while? Dumb question? I feel like I desperately need my neck worked on. At this time, I'm seeing a pain doc who has done two rounds of injections---facet injections bilaterally at C2-3,3-4,4-5 and 5-6 and epidural injection at T7-8. I've had too much pain since the last injections a week ago and don't know if I'll do it again next week. Would love some input. Thanks and again...welcome.
    Hugs
    Paula
  3. paula45

paula45 New Member

I fractured my back in late March practicing yoga. I started it on my own and didn't know about being careful. OOPS. It was the equivalent of severe forward bend. But since it was undiagnosed and everyone said "nothing wrong with your back, go about your business", I kept hurting myself, I'm sure. After the diagnosis, I got a TLSO that helped for a while, but wearing that aggravated the problems that I have with my shoulders due to FM and recent rotator cuff surgery. UGH. It's always something. I'm 46 and probably some osteoporosis issues. I've tried high doses of calcium but really upset my stomach. So, right now I'm on a really good multivitamin, 100 of CoQ10 and 25 of DHEA, plus LOTS of Vicodin ES (two tid). TAH-BSO 18 years ago with minimal HRT so I'm sure I do all the wrong things. Any other suggestions? I'm pretty much exercise intolerant except for just a little bit of stretching and some recumbant bike. Thanks for your help. I've just put off going back to the chiro cuz of the back pain.
    Paula
  4. paula45

paula45 New Member

Thanks again. Any suggestions you can offer me would be greatly appreciated. As far as education of FM patients on this board goes, just do what you're doing, but keep it light and easy and with a good sense of humor. Most of the people here do tons of research on everything and there are some quite divergent opinions, as I'm sure you've seen if you've been reading lots of the posts. I take lots of it with a grain of salt, but overall everyone is very helpful and caring. I started last night having some really extreme pain around my ribcage, back, etc. Comes and goes, starts out in different places and escalates rapidly spreading. Feels like muscle spasms but SO much more painful like nerve pain. Really weird. Anyhoo, can't stay on long. Looking forward to more exchanges with you, and thanks again for your help. Happy Thanksgiving!
    Paula