Question for Micki

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mariac2000, Oct 6, 2002.

1. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

Thank you so much for all of your responses to my posts. You said that some of the meds that I take may interact with Klonopin. Do you know which ones and why. I have just started Vioxx and since it's not working yet I take Ultracet as needed. I find it does very little, but does make a small dent. I take wellbutrin for depression. I did not do well on SSRIs such as paxil and zoloft. Without an antidepressant I would have no life. I also take zanaflex, which was prescibed to help me sleep. It helps me go to sleep, but wears off quickly. It does give me a little relief during the day when even holding me head up hurts, but I have to take a small dose. Now that I have gone completely off the subject, which meds would you consider cutting out and why?
  2. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

Thank you so much for all of your responses to my posts. You said that some of the meds that I take may interact with Klonopin. Do you know which ones and why. I have just started Vioxx and since it's not working yet I take Ultracet as needed. I find it does very little, but does make a small dent. I take wellbutrin for depression. I did not do well on SSRIs such as paxil and zoloft. Without an antidepressant I would have no life. I also take zanaflex, which was prescibed to help me sleep. It helps me go to sleep, but wears off quickly. It does give me a little relief during the day when even holding me head up hurts, but I have to take a small dose. Now that I have gone completely off the subject, which meds would you consider cutting out and why?
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm sorry, but I am not competent to give specific medical advice. I think you should read Dr. Paul Cheney's articles on Klonopin and SSRI's & stimulants, print them out and take them to your doc and ask him or her about any interactions.

One of the possible side effects of Wellbutrin at higher doses is seizures, and it is related to amphetamines. This drug is not recommended for people with seizure problems. According to Dr. Cheney, our brains are always in a slight state of seizure which is why we take the Klonopin to quiet the brain. The Wellbutrin may be offsetting the effects of the Klonopin, but you do need to discuss this with your doc.

Be sure to take the articles with you and explain that Dr. Cheney is one of the country's leading experts in CFS which has a lot of overlapping symptoms with FMS.

Love, Mikie
  4. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

now i see what your saying.I have a belief that when you are confronted with so much info, you need to go with your gut. My gut tells me to trust my psychiatrist. My gut is usually right. Let's hope so. Thanks for you continued concern.