Question for Mikie (or anyone else) on ProEnergy

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lvjesus, Aug 4, 2005.

1. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I know you take ProEnergy (or it could be Shirl! but I can blame that on fog!!) and I was wondering, do you take it twice a day and do you think it would be better to take the double strength?

Thanks,
    Sonya
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It may be Shirl. I wish I could help.

Love, Mikie
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Sonya, I take the double strength. Heres how I take it;

1 capsule before breakfast, one capsule before lunch, both with a full glass of water (be sure to drink plain water, it helps in the absorption of the magnesium).

At night I take ZMA (zinc, magnesium, and vitamin B6), two capsules before bed.

Now, if you are not taking the ZMA at night, I guess you could take the Pro Energy in the evening before supper.

Between the two supplements I am taking about 550-600mgs of magnesium a day.

I spread it out throughout the day, as we burn magnesium in our bodies daily. So I try to keep it evenly all day and night.

Good luck, I hope it helps you as much as it has done for me.

Shalom, Shirl
  4. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I do take ZMA at night which is why I wondered if I should be taking more ProEnergy. I take 3 of the regular strength in the morning before I eat.

It is so hard to know what is helping, you know what I mean? Is what you are taking helping or not? The only way to know is to stop and see what happens.

I know in your case you had results that could be measured in muscle relaxation, etc. I was taking coQ10 for quite awhile and trying to do the 400mg a day that was the research dosage, but it is so expensive that I did not want to be taking it if it was not helping, so I stopped and did not feel any change. Others had said they had stopped and had to go back on and would never stop again. It just was not that way for me.

I tried with my Chondroitin and Glucosamine and got MUCH WORSE quickly, so hurredly went back on!!! I stopped the ZMA at night at one point and was not sure if I was worse for it or just going through a period of not sleeping well. Sometimes the improvement is subtle.

The cost is not that high though on the ProEnergy and ZMA and there are lots of indications that it can help and the only side effect I have heard of is loose stools. My rhuemy did not think too much of it. He did not say it doesn't help, but he did say that it was "the big thing some time ago" which led me to believe that he was not an advocate of it.

Thanks for the info. I think I will up mine and see what happens. I do hope it is getting used correctly in my body. I read how things interfer with it and you know the calcium debate. One person says take calcium with magnesium, another says don't. So who knows what to think.

I did read here that mag. will interfer with Klonopin, so I started taking my ZMA with my G&C at dinner and the Klonopin at least an hour later.

Sonya
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I have had more success with the Pro Energy and the ZMA than anything else.

I was as close to bedridden as you can get when I first came on this board, I was one sick puppy. I started the Pro Energy 5 years ago (one year before I came on the board), then the ZMA 2 years ago. It seemed like the ZMA made all the difference along with the Pro Energy, as I now sleep 8-9 hours a night, as opposed to just about 2 hours nightly.

I am a good 85% better than I have been in many years (I have had FM for over 20 years). I would be afraid to stop taking these two supplements! I would not want to go back to where I was before.

As for the magnesium/calcium combination. I took a supplement with both for years, and it did nothing for me.

Then when I started to take the two above, then I got results. I make sure I do not eat/drink any dairy for at least two hours before or after the magnesium. Personally, I have to agree it works best this way, since I tried it both ways.

If I could manage to get ALL the stress out of my life, I think I would even feel better, but thats just a 'dream' :( Life is full of stress no matter what we do..

Right now that is about all I am taking, except I make sure I drink half my body weight in ounces of plain water a day.

I bought the Coenzyme Q10, but never took it. I think I had given it to my dog for something or other. Can't help with that one.

I do take the Glucosamine/Chondroitin when my arthritis flares up, I don't take it daily. When the arthritis pain is gone I quit taking it. I did not find it helped with the FM pain.

I don't know about the magnesium and Klonopin, you might want to ask the pharmacist, or Mikie. I know she takes both.

I take Xanax in the evening sometimes, and I do space it about two hours with the magnesium.

Shalom, Shirl