Question for Northerners from a Texan about staying warm at night

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by zenouchy, Dec 10, 2008.

1. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Hi All,

This might seem like a strange question (but hey that's what we're about here right? ;-)). I'm sorry this is a little long.

It doesn't get cold here in Texas that often except for a few short months, but when it does, it's pretty noticeable. Last night for example, we actually had sleet! My body is a bit strange with temperature (read below).

When it's really cold (which is at night time here because it's usually in the 60s or 50s here during the day and then it will drop to the 30s or 40s at night), I have a tendency to stay very cold for a few hours and then, when I DO warm up, I get VERY VERY WARM. What I do is dress in layers, which seems obvious. I also layer the bed with blankets. This also seems obvious.

I have a cotton comforter, another blanket on top of that, and then a down comforter. All nice and toasty. Here's my problem: the blankets are HEAVY, and I'm actually pulling muscles in my shoulder and breastbone moving them on an off to get them "just right"! And I'm an active sleeper which doesn't help either. When I'm really cold, i wrap the blankets around me (kind of like a burrito), and then when I warm up several hours later, I can't get them off me fast enough. I sometimes take some of my sweatshirts off too. The blankets are so heavy, I literally pull muscles! It hurts, and I'm tired of it. (I'm in shape too---I work out daily.)

I've tried one super warm down comforter, warmer then the one I have, but it was way too warm, trapping in too much body heat. Does anyone have any ideas? Do you think flannel sheets would help? Or microfleece sheets?

Any idea and all ideas would be helpful. Thank you!!

All the best,

[This Message was Edited on 12/10/2008]
  2. lyzzy

lyzzy New Member

What I do is to make sure my thermostat is down to 68 at night. I live in a bottom floor apt, so my apt is on the cement slab. I have hot water heat and the heat units are on the floor. I am cold blooded too, so hope I can help. I have flannel sheeets on my bed, over one of those foam (not memoryfoam) mattress pads. Try the down comforter as the 1st layer after the flannel top sheet, then maybe a light weight fleece or microfleece blanket on top of that . I put on the little shorty socks until my feet get warm, then I can peelthem off. I wear a all cotton sleeveless mid calf night gown. I used to love having lots of blankets and the weight made me fell snug and secure, I guess. Now I can't stand a lot of weight on me. THe best part is my little black cat is my heating pad. She gets under the blankets with me everynight and snuggles up to me, and my grey cat curls up behind m knees or down by my feet on top of the covers. Maybe a heated mattress pad would help. You could turn it on before you went to bed and let it warm up the bed just a little.
  3. mom2many

mom2many New Member

I have and love this electric mattress pad I have, it's like a electric blanket that goes under your sheet.

Here some I found online
  4. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Sounds like some good options to look into. I have never heard of heated mattress pads before. They sound very cozy. Lyzzy, I wish I had two cats to keep me warm at night---I LOVE cats! Thank you both for the great suggestions.

Feel good and have a great day,

5. cordy250

cordy250 Member

Oil costs a lot of money, so I keep my thermostat at just below 60 at night. I use a polarfleece blanket on top of a comforter of some sort. I also have a cuddle ewe underquilt.

One thing I really find helps is to wear a soft knit cap, even in bed. Keeping your head covered is really important for retaining heat. Like you, I warm up after a few hours and sometimes get really warm. When the room temp is 58 you can't really expose your sweaty body to the air, so the cap comes off and it mostly regulates my body temp.

I pretty much have a sock hat on from the fall to the spring, night and day.
  6. WhoSaid

WhoSaid New Member

Turn the blanket on about half hour before you go to bed. I pull the blanket up over my pillow to warm that up also. Bring in the hot water bottle when you go to warm your feet up.
    I have regular cotton sheets, one electric blanket and one down comforter.
    It's easy to adjust things as you warm up then get too warm.
    Hope this helps.
  7. Engel

Engel New Member

I was hoping my SSDI case would be resolved by next summer so I could move south, but I am afraid it may be drug out causing me to be stuck here NEXT winter too! I was sure hoping this would be my last winter. I wear double socks, pile on blankets and quilts. Since I am so poor and can't afford this expensive heat/fuel, I keep the thermostat 60-64 and by golly I am just plain freezing! and winter isn't even officially here yet!!!
  8. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Cordy, a night cap sounds like an AWESOME idea. I was actually thinking about that yesterday. I don't know if they sell them in Texas, but I'm going to look into it. Last night I wrapped a lightweight blanket around my head and ears. It was pretty cozy!

Nink, thank you for the heated mattress pad idea. We don't have enough super cold nights in Texas several days in a row, so I would always be taking it on and off, but otherwise, I would TOTALLY look into that! Sounds so cozy. :) I'm so like you, I don't like blankets tucked in. I'm a very active sleeper. I have that same issues sometimes that the blankets can fall off the bed. Oh well, what can ya do!

WhoSaid, thanks for the great ideas on the electric blanket and preheating the sheets AND the pillow. Sounds like a GREAT idea. I will do that!!

Engel, I'm so sorry about your ultra tight money situation. If you are able to move, be careful about moving TOO far south though because then you will be dealing with extreme heat and super high air conditioning bills like I do! In Texas, we run our air conditioners at least 9 months out of the year! Crazy isn't it? I hope things improve for you very soon.

Thanks again everyone and stay warm,

9. findmind

findmind New Member

I have all cotton sheet, a lightwt bedspread and a lightweight cotton thermal blanket. I sleep in nothing!

I have found if I sleep in less clothes, my brain knows to keep my body warm better than when I'm all bundled up!

It's the hypothalamus!

I live in south TX, and we had the ice, sleet and light snow, too! It was wild.

gotta go, leaving on a trip!

Mucho Huggies,