Question for Prickles others with right arm pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shelby319, May 18, 2006.

1. shelby319

shelby319 New Member

Hi to and to you Prickles,
    I had just read your post under "how bad are your symptoms", and many times wanted to ask you when you stated your main problems were in your right arm and hand area. I too have alot of the same problems with writing, which I no longer can do and now use a computer to do my writing, and other projects. I have heard that specific area is the hardest to treat and diagnose...is this true and why?

I have many health problems and recently diagnosed with Fibro, but the right side seems to be the worst area where I can no longer do anything with the hand, shoulder, and mostly upper arm area where there are extreme muscle spasms.

I recently had a really bad flair up and given oxycontin, but just for a short time period. Then last week I begged the Dr. for a shot in the shoulder, where he put it right in the joint, and was extremely painful to say the least!! It did help with some of the pain that ran under into my armpit area too and at least I can move it somewhat. But I still continue to have all the rest of the symptoms and returning shoulder pain.

Is there anything I can do to help myself with this area? And will it always be there now.......I'm sure you really can't answer that one because everyone is different, but may I ask what you do for your right side that has at least made it possible to use your arm? Certain vitamins perhaps, exercise, anything different than the normal stuff we do? I do take certain vitamins, magnesium, muscle relaxants, yoga, pain meds, but what am I missing?

I would really appreciate any help you can give me, as this is only getting worst everyday to the point I'm learning to use my left arm for almost everything, but the pain is unrelenting on my right side no matter what I do!!!

Thank you so so much for anything you can help me with!!
    Gentle hugs coming your way and to all the rest of the lovely people here that have helped me greatly with all my questions!!
    Shelby
  2. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I began having right arm problems about 15 years ago. Most of my pain was in the upper arm, shoulder and neck. After a couple of MRIs, I had surgery which was an anterior cervical fusion. This is when they go in and fuse the bone together at C5-C6 of the cervical spine. Unfortunately, the procedure was a failure and had to have the surgery repeated 9 months later, which made the process much more dangerous but by another surgeon. (The other one left the state). ?????

OK, don't get scared here. I also have shoulder problems now and a few years ago, after these surgeries, was diagnosed with some shoulder problem; would have to pull paperwork on this one. However, did not require surgery. Due to all of this, I have had and still have pain in the muscle, can't think of the name of it, that runs down the right side from the neck down the back.

I went to an ortheopedist, had more tests, and he ruled out the rotator cuff. I was relieved of that.

Again, please don't be frightened because after the anterior cervical fusion, still have right arm pain so that's not the problem. I just take meds and deal with it; haven't had anymore tests ran in a while now.

I just wanted to let you know my situation but I would recommend getting it checked if it continues. Also to ease your mind, no problems with hand, except stiffness.

Hope this helps,

BlueSky555
  3. shelby319

shelby319 New Member

To all of you that have helped me, Donnaeil, Bluesky, and Prickles. I can't thank you enough for your help and support! This board has been a godsend for me to beable to come here and ask all of you lovely people anything that we need to talk or ask about and to give support and understanding, information back to.

To you Prickles, your information was very helpful because of us having the similiar symptoms, and thats why I asked you mostly after reading your profile about your conditon and mine being somewhat the same.

All the information everyone has given me though has helped me greatly and no, I didn't get scared over your surgery Donnaeil, in fact it might have inforced my feeling that there is a problem that needs to be addressed to my Ortho Dr.!!

All the information about not using my left arm as much, also was true with you Prickles with what you said where it would start to cause more pain, which it is starting to do already. I do have wrist supports that have helped before, so that is a good reason to start doing again. The sleeping on my back I have done all my life...they used to call me "coffin lady", because thats how I looked while sleeping!! LOL!! But it does help alot with the pain, but I do have to put pillows under my legs for support from a bad back anyways, so that's another good reason to continue doing that. I do use a wirlpool tub that we installed in our home which helps alot!! Thank god we had put that in a long time ago before I even had this diagnosis. I don't want to go into too much typing, as I understand its hard for all to read everything at once and it is a little harder today for me to type as the weather is terrible with the rain, which makes me feel terrible along with more pain....so we don't want that now do we!!LOL!!

I will look into more options as to what I can do to help relieve this awful pain from all of the great info you have given me. And hopefully sometime down the road I will start to get a better understanding about this terrible disease and become more of an advocate to helping myself and hopefully also help others as well.

Thank you all again so very much!!
    Have a sparkling day!
    Shelby