Question for RichVanK

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by elliespad, Feb 18, 2009.

1. elliespad

elliespad Member

Hi Rich,

I recently had Igenex Lyme test done and am considering seeing a LLMD to interpret results.

Have wanted to restart the Simplified Method and may be ready to start soon.

Would you recommend treating Lyme first (if a positive Dx is made) or Mehylation protocol first?

I really wish I could find a Dr. to help me with this.
  2. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, elliespad.

I think this is a very important question, but there hasn't been much experience yet with which to answer it. So all I can do is to project from theory at this point.

Here's how it looks to me at present: When the methylation cycle has a partial block and glutathione is depleted, the immune system does not function properly. Thus, it is not able to defend the body against pathogens as well as it should.

Treatments to kill or to stop the proliferation of pathogens, such as antibiotics and antivirals, are best not taken forever, both because of their side effects and their cost. They need to be stopped at some point. When they are stopped, it is up to the immune system to take over and protect the body against infections. If the immune system is not in good enough condition at that point to do that, I think it is likely that the infections will return.

Because of this, my current view is that a person who has a partial methylation cycle block and glutathione depletion (preferably as demonstrated by the Vitamin Diagnostics methylation pathways panel) and is also positive for Lyme disease by Igenex Western blot, should be treated using the methylation cycle block treatment first, and after the methylation cycle function and glutathione level have been restored (as determined by repeating the Vitamin Diagnostics panel), then treatment for Lyme disease should be undertaken.

Again, this opinion is currently based only on the theoretical argument above. I have recently been encouraging clinicians specializing in treating Lyme disease to try the methylation cycle block treatment on some of their chronic Lyme disease patients. I think this is just starting to occur, but I haven't received much feedback yet, and I don't think they have tried different ordering of the treatments yet, to be able to say which works the best.

It is possible that some patients could tolerate doing these treatments simultaneously, but it seems that many are not in strong enough condition to tolerate this, and need to proceed more slowly. Some need to build themselves up before they can attempt the methylation cycle block treatment. In those cases, some of what Dr. Amy Yasko calls her "step 1" treatments may be necessary, as described in her book "The Puzzle of Autism," and in her discussion forum at www dot ch3nutrigenomics dot com. This involves supporting various organs and systems in the body that appear to need help, getting the gut functioning better, and building up the general nutritional status.

I hope this helps, and I'm sorry that I don't have reports of clinical experience yet to test this opinion. Next month at the IACFS/ME conference in Reno, I plan to present a poster paper on the hypothesis that Lyme disease is one route of entry into CFS for people who are genetically susceptible. I distributed a similar argument at the ILADS conference in San Francisco a few months ago. I'm trying to bring these two communities together. Each has defined the other disorder as exclusionary to their own, and this has left a big gap between these two disorders, when it appears to me that they are actually linked. Borrelia burgdorferi bacteria have been shown to deplete glutathione in their hosts, and my hypothesis for CFS is that when this happens in a genetically susceptible person, it sets up a vicious circle between glutathione depletion and a partial block in the methylation cycle, so that the person now has both Lyme disease and CFS. Time will tell if this hypothesis will prove out, but I think there is considerable evidence for it.

I hope you will be able to find a doctor to help you with this, because I do believe it is necessary to be under a doctor's care while doing this treatment. I know of a small number of doctors who are starting to use the methylation block treatment on chronic Lyme disease patients. If you email me off-board at richvank at aol dot com, and let me know where you are located, I might be able to suggest a doctor near you. As you know, there have been a few people who experienced adverse effects while on this treatment, and it is important that a doctor be monitoring to deal with them. In the recently completed clinical study of this treatment on 30 women, there were no serious adverse effects, which is very encouraging. These patients were encouraged to go slowly with the treatment, and to do it as tolerated, and I think this is wise.

[This Message was Edited on 02/19/2009]
  3. elliespad

elliespad Member

Rich, Thank you AGAIN for taking the time to answer my questions so thoughtfully and so completely. Your theory makes sense to me and rather thought that would be your recommendation.

I'm probably going to get the Vitamin Diagnostics testing done next month, and skip the LLMD until later.

Thank you so much for your help.