Question For SSMarilyn.....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tandy, Jul 26, 2003.

1. tandy

tandy New Member

On testing the thyroid function? Is there a more precise,accurate test to request? I had your basic thyroid test which came out normal....but I've heard that many times they're not true?that you might have a problem and it does'nt show? I suspect I do but so far I test normal. Thanks :)
  2. sumbuni

sumbuni New Member

I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT IF I CHECK MY TEMP EVERY MORNING BEFORE I GET UP...ER...MAYBE I SHOULD SAY, RIGHT AFTER I OPEN MY EYES, THAT A CONTINUOUS LOW BODY TEMP WILL SHOW THAT YOU DO HAVE A THYROID PROBLEM...SO FAR NO ONE HAS LISTEND TO ME...MINE READS 95.3 WHEN I OPEN MY PEEPERS, AND ONLY GETS ABOVE 96.3 WHEN I'M TRYING TO FIGHT INFECTION OR I'VE OVER-DONE THE WORK THING....

TRY IT...YOUR DOC MAY HEAR BETTER THAN ANY I'VE BEEN TO..

SUMBUNI
  3. tandy

tandy New Member

I'll try that. not sure if my dr. will listen either....mines pretty dense also.
    ssMarilyn??
  4. tandy

tandy New Member

we're onto page 2!! back up ya go!
  5. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

Yes, the basal test that sumbuni mentioned is a sure-fire way to find out if you are hypothyroid right at home. This is the test the docs used years ago before the blood tess and it's 100%. Some docs these days say the basal test is useless, but those also might be the ones that say you test in normal ranges, even though your thyroid is low. I always tested normal, but I knew something was wrong, so insisted on seeing an endocrinologist. He tested me again, said I tested in normal ranges, but on the LOW end of those ranges, and some people don't do well there. He increased my synthroid, and within two weeks I felt like a new person.

For the basal test, have a mercury thermometer on your nightstand, already shook down. As soon as you wake up, before you even SIT UP or move in any way, put that thermometer in your armpit and keep it there for 10 minutes. Do this 5 days in a row, jotting down the temp. After 5 days, average the temps out. Anything above 97.8 or so is normal, but if you are hypo, you will probably have a temp of 97.4 or less. Let us know what happens at the end of the five days. Remember, you cannot get up or even sit up before you take this test, because that will stimulate your system and increase your body temp, thus voiding out the basal temp.

Here are the tests a good endoc will do. (GP's don't know that much about thyroids, so don't waste your time there.)

TSH - You want to test under 2.0, closer to 1.0 is ideal for females!

Total T4
    Free T4
    Total T3
    Free T3
    rt3

If you can can an endoc to do these tests, be sure they mail you a copy of the results, then get ahold of me, give me the numbers, and we can explain them. (Be sure to get "their" numbers too....each lab has different sets of values to compare your thyroid test results.)

Marilyn :)
  6. tandy

tandy New Member

I'll start with the morning temp. testing.(basal)
    I'll see what kind of readings I have....and take it from there. I could ask for a referral to a endoc.?
    I've never seen one before now. I don't even have a reg. mercury thermometer,I'll have to grab one? I have the digital,for either under your tongue,or armpit. And I have a braun electronic ear one.(the kind drs. offices use) I'm leary about that one thou because anytime i've used it on my kids when they are ill,I can get 2 diff. readings minutes apart.So who knows how accurate that is?? Thanks for your help!! :)
  7. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

The thyroid books all say to use the mercury therm., but they are no longer sold at the drugstores because the mercury in them is so dangerous if broken. I don't know what other kind might be acceptable to use. If you find you have a low basal temp, be sure to request a referral to an endoc, and a good one too.

8. nina

nina New Member

I have been doing the temp thing with a digital thermometer and it is low. However, even my endocrinologist has not explained this to me the way you have. (He's also about 20 years old!) Its been a year- time to revisit....

thank you so much
    Nina
  9. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

I have yet to have ANY doctor explain anything to me. If I don't ask, they don't tell...and sometimes when I do ask, THEY don't know. I find most of my info on the net, from medical sites and other people with the same afflictions and with the experience.