Question for those on Flexeril

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Echo2, Aug 16, 2003.

1. Echo2

Echo2 New Member

My Dr. just put me on 10mg Flexeril at bedtime. I slept great & was able to concentrate on work better the next day, but was sleepy all day. Does this go away with use?
    Hubby said "what's wrong, you seem sad" I said just the new med, but I don't want to be this way all the time. Thanks in advance for the input! You guys are great.
    Echo
  2. beckster

beckster New Member

some time I wasn't sleepy anymore. It still works, just not sleepy. It helps a lot of people. Helps you get into a deep sleep stage which you need, too. Are you taking it for pain, or to sleep, or both? Anyway I hope it helps you as much as it does me!!!!!!! Beckster
  3. maplesugar

maplesugar New Member

Hi echo'
    I don't know if this will help but my Dr. told me to take flexeril 2 hours before bed time so you won't be sluggish all the next day. Hope this helps. I just started taking it so I don't know how it will effect me. Maplesugar
  4. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

I have taken 10mgs. TID for many years. When I briefly was changed from hydrocodone 10/500 to morphine I had to cease the flexeril or be very careful to distance the timing of taking between the two meds; so I just quit.

Well, one giagantic anaphalatic reaction later...I was calling the doc telling him I would deal with residual pain but please PLEASE lets just go back to what has been working reasonably for a couple of years.

We did. Neither make me "sleepy"////I'm a little goofy sometimes if I need to eat....which I am now...Later. Lil'
  5. libra55

libra55 New Member

Hi Echo, you could try taking your Flexeril a little earlier in the evening instead of right before you go to bed. You will still get the good night's sleep but not be so groggy the next day. This works for me.

Good Luck!
    Michelle
  6. tandy

tandy New Member

I take my flexeril(10mgs)about an hr before I want to go to sleep.That has helped with that"hungover feeling" I've been told that you need to give the flexeril a full 10 hrs to get out of your system.This works for me. take care...... :)
  7. Echo2

Echo2 New Member

allocating the 10 hours and taking them a couple hours before bed. I did not take a flexiril last night, and did not sleep near as well so now I will try your advice tonight. Sweet dreams, all!
    Thanks Again
    Echo
  8. Lana56

Lana56 New Member

I have been on Flexeril a long time.I take 10 mg up to three a day if i need it.After being on it a while it does not make me sleepy if I take one during the day.Hope it helps you in time and you can feel ok Lana56
  9. LBV

LBV New Member

Hi Echo,
    I do all of the research for my sister because I want her to feel better and because of her brain fog. I had read that flexeril is supposed to help improve sleep. Her doctor knew the same and she tried it. Besides the hungover feeling, she was very sad. Tried it a few times to confirm it wasn't anything else, and yep, there was that sad thing. So, she doesn't take it anymore.

Kimberly
  10. daylilyfan

daylilyfan New Member

I have had problems with muscle spasms for many years. 3 years ago, a new family Dr. tried me on flexeril at night. She had me take half of a 10 mg to start, and increased to a full tablet after 1 month. Before Flexeril, I slept 4 hours in a really good night. After the month, I was able to sleep about 5 hours.

Went to Rhuemy for different problem. Fact that Flexeril helped me was one thing that got her thinking I might have Fibro. Anyway, after doing the tender point test... she says yep, fibro. So... she has me taking up to five 10 mg tabs a day. She said some patients need to take all 5 at night to sleep 6 hours. I found that taking 2 at night lets me sleep 6-7 hours without a problem the next day. So, I decide how many I take at night, and if I take any during the day.

I gradually got used to taking it, and now, during the day, if I over do myself, I can take one with no problems, and even two and still function quite well.

I think it's a matter of sticking with it. You get used to it. I have never felt any sadness with it, however, when you first start it, you may feel rather "drugged" ..... I'd cut the pills in half and take half a tab for a while, then work up to a whole one. Perhaps take a whole one starting on Friday nights when you don't have to get up and go to work in the morning.
  11. achy

achy New Member

My doc told me 1-2 10mg tablets 1 hr before bed.
    at first, if i took one..nothing. if i took 2 i slept great, but hung over. I tried 1 1/2 and was ok for 2-3 months. then, it stopped working completely. Told doc. He said to cut back to 1 again. I argued wiht him..if wo doesn't work why take one. Trust me he said....
    1 works like a dream..i sleep 8-10 hrs a night!! I can also take 1/2 3X a day for spasm and it doesn't knock me out.
    go figure...don't know why it did such strange things, but won't give it up for nothin.

give it a couple of weeks..it's worth sticking wiht.

Warm fuzzies
    Achy