Question for those that take Vicodin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by loto, Apr 15, 2010.

1. loto

loto Member

My prescription for Vicodin allows me to get it refilled every 10 days.
    My stupid pharmacy is so inconsistent with that refill date! They're supposed to count the day I get a refill as day 1, and then on the 10th day I should be able to get the refill so I have the vicodin already for the next morning, when I'll be out and need it.

How are anyone elses prescriptions for vicodin handled? I'm so frustrated and have had to call my doctor's office several times when the pharmacy won't let me get it on the day I'm supposed to.

2. debilyn

debilyn New Member

My doctor writes the perscription for 28 days. I get 112 each perscription (4 x 28). Then I have to go for an office visit ($20 copay) to get the next 28 day perscription.

My doctor said that he won't issue a refill sooner than that, so don't bother calling and asking him. I usually have some left by the end of the 28 days and haven't found myself in a bind yet of not being able to get what I need.

3. loto

loto Member

funny how doctor's are different. I never have to go in for office visits for this prescription, only if I want a new med or change the dosage on a med.

So frustrating having to go through everything to get what we need.
  4. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

Here in CA, I found that it depended on the pharmacy and the actual pharmacist that was working that day. Also, the ins co has certain guidelines as to when they'll ok a refill.

My doc would give me 6 refills at a time on Vic or Norco. I had to see him every 2 months for an office visit.
  5. loto

loto Member

hermitlady, but the funny thing is, the pharmacy has refilled it on the 10th day like they're supposed to before. I left a message for the nurse to call me back about all this crazy mess!

And, my husband finally got my refill while ago, and the pharmacy put the date of 4/13/10 on the bottle!!!!! DUH, today is the 15th! So, they are so totally messed up! I switched all my meds to this pharmacy because the previous one i used always messed my meds up also. What the heck is wrong with these people?
  6. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

I don't take vicodin, although I am on other prescription narcotics that fall pretty much under the same guidelines. Mine can't be called in, I have to call the Dr.'s office and request the refill, and hand-carry them to the pharmacy.

The day after I fill them is counted as day one, and I can't refill until the 30th day. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. Which sometimes leaves me in a precarious position b/c my doc requires 48 hrs. advance notice, and if she's extremely busy she might not get around to signing them in a timely manner. I ended up on day 31 one time that way.

My particular insurance won't pay for prescriptions to be refilled any earlier than 3 days, though I know I won't get into that circumstance. I guess it all falls upon the doctor's shoulders, and insurance regulations.

I would certainly call the pharmacy about the date on that prescription. Although it could work to your advantage in the long run, since they've got you backdated two days. Maybe you won't have to wait ten days the next time? Just a thought.....

7. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

That is absolutely ridiculous. What is the pharmacy's response when you tell them that your script is supposed to be filled for you on time?

I also can't believe that some people have to pay for an office visit every month to get a prescription. THAT is insane. Unless you take a narcotic that requires a pick up, your Dr. shouldn't make you make an appt and pay for it. Vicodin and that class of narcotics allow refills.

Loto - is there a reason why your Dr. is only allowing a ten day script? Do you have a co-pay on your prescriptions that you have to keep paying? It seems like a pain to have to go to the pharmacy 3 times a month.
    Why won't your Dr. give you a 30 day script?

If you keep having problems with that pharmacy, I'd tell them you'll take your business elsewhere - you have a chronic pain condition that your Dr is treating you for obviously and you expect your pharmacy to be part of your team. They are too unreliable in a critical part of your care.

For me at least, just timing a trip to the pharmacy is sometimes difficult for crying out loud.
  8. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

Hi loto, I use morphine and other narcotics and I never have to go to hand pick up my script for it or go see the Dr. other every 4-6 months and thats usually to check my diabetes.HbA1C. . I just call whenever I need some or want to change my dose and she sends the script to me and I mail it to pharmacy or my husband drops it off and the pharmacy fills it and sends it to me in the mail. I can call and tell her what i need and she fills it no problems and thats awful about some of you having to practically beg for a few pain pills. pay copays every month or whenever you need your meds refilled, what a ripoff!I can see going to see your dr if you are having some problems but just go so they can "do nothing" and write you out a script well thats just not right.And then having to deal with your pharmacys crap on top of that. Good luck I wish I could share my Dr. with you she is wonderful , caring never makes me feel like a druggy or anything, shes one in a million for sure. God Bless
  9. loto

loto Member

well, when he does the prescription, it is for 3 refills, but I can only get a 10 day supply at a time. So, I have to call my doctor once a month to request him to call in the prescription.
    So, I only get 80 pills per refill, and almost ALWAYS take all of them during the 10 day period. Sometimes I do have a few left over.

I'm still waiting for a nurse to call me back about this issue with the pharmacy. I just want them to call the pharmacy and tell them that i need to be able to get the refill on the 10th day from the day i picked it up last!

I'd like to tell the pharmacist a thing or 2 about chronic pain.
  10. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

About the pharmacy being part of the treatment team. I never thought about it like that. I have used small, locally owned pharmacies for years. I just have had better experiences with them than the "chain" pharmacies. Mine offers the same $4 scripts that the large ones do. But they're still governed by the laws of my particular state. I too don't understand making you fill every 10 days instead of writing for 30. Does the med end up costing more that way? This seems like a huge hassle when you are already dealing with pain issues. I'm sorry you have to deal with this. - Rebecca
  11. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

My PCP gives me 30 vicodin a month and no refills, but he calls it in right away when I call for it so I've never had to wait for a refill. He does it so he can monitor my use for my good but has said if I run out early, he will call in a refill for me, and I actually call it in about every 3 weeks. But when I wanted to try Klonopin he really didn't want to prescribe it since it is another benzo, but sent me to a rhuematologist that did. Here is where I can relate. He gave me no refills and made me come in (and pay my $40 copay) every month to get a new script and once when I got stuck out of town for a month and could not come in my husband called to ask for a month until I could get back and he refused. He really could not have cared less about me and the meds, otherwise he would have been concerned about withdrawal (of which I had none by the way). I stopped taking it and going to him as well. He is the same doc who put me on Cymbalta after I told him I need something for fatigue. When I asked him what it was for he said, pain. Good listening skills too.
  12. yuckie

yuckie New Member

First, it sounds like your pharmacy isn't very organized or attentive.

Second, because I was also interested I did a little research and find that Vicodin is a class III drug. This means that generally speaking (if in the U.S.) it is regulated by the Federal Govt under the "U.S. Drug Abuse Regulation and Control Act of 1970" or Controlled Substances Act. Among other things, this act regulates the timing and way in which vicodin can be prescribed. The states can also make laws concerning these drugs but they cannot negate federal laws only make them stricter. At the federal level you can get up to 5 renewals within 6 months, if permitted in the prescription. Usually, however, Schedule III prescriptions carries no refills. This is why we usually see 30 day scrips (just my thinking).

In my case, each prescription is a new one, has to be written and is only prescribed 30 days at a time.

It seems to me that either your state is stricter than federal law and/or your doctor has chosen to be stricter than necessary. Either way, a pain management doctor is in the business of managing pain and he/she should be able to help you get this straightened out.

This can be so frustrating...good luck! Janice
  13. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Your pharmacy actually has a lot more discretion than you realize. As long as your insurance covers it (which most will fill AT LEAST 1-2 days early) and your Dr. did not write 'do not fill before" on a prescription, the pharmacist can fill if they choose.

Most know that if you have a 30 day (or 10) that you will need to fill the day before. If a perso is on a schedule of taking their medication first thing in the morning, often times one can't get to the pharmacy before their first dose.

I've had a pharmacy that had no problem filling when I needed mine (when I took Vicodin) 4 days early as I was going out of town. I didn't need a Dr's note or a "vacation override" through my insurance. They just put it through.

I had another pharmacy who frankly the pharmacist had a mean rotten demeamor in general. He would not contribute to dispensing medication early. (mind you this was a day).

Either someone is counting wrong in this case, or they are counting their days differently.
    I'd still ask my Dr. why I could not have a 30 day script.