Question for those who avoid soy

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SweetT, Feb 6, 2007.

1. SweetT

SweetT New Member

For those of you that avoid soy products, is it because of reading articles and an elimination diet, or did any of you actually test allergic to soy in a food allergy test?

I am asking because I finally had a full RAST food allergy test done (which I thought was done last month but it turns out that they only gave me the mini-RAST which is only for environmental allergens) today, and I want to know what my chances are for uncovering true food allergies.

I love the taste of soy milk. However, if the test reveals that I'm allergic to soy, it'll be almond milk for me.
  2. LongStruggle

LongStruggle Guest

Soy is counterindicated for those with hypothyroidism. Since many, if not most, have problems with their thyroid, soy isn't a good idea. Recently I also read that soy milk in general is not good. Dr. Mercola talks about this in his newsletter.
  3. Vitter

Vitter New Member

I had a non stop period for a whole month after taking a soy supplement. I don't know if that caused it, but it has never happened again after I quit taking it. I started taking it because the health food nurse said it would be good for perimenopause symptoms. I also ate some soy nuts once and I started to bleed slightly in between my period. So no more soy for me.

Vicki
  4. Calleigh

Calleigh New Member

...to find out if I had a soy allergy, but I get terrible abdominal pains whenever I eat/drink anything with soy in it.
  5. Catseye

Catseye Member

at first and then it makes me feel bad starting the next day, just a little, but it gets progressively worse. I've tried it several times and finally gave up when there was no more doubt it was the soy. There's just something about certain foods; with me it's wheat, dairy and soy. I don't think you can get tested for food intolerance, you can only be tested for an allergic reaction to it. You just have to stop it until you feel good and then maybe you can add it back later to see if that was it.

If the test is not testing for all the reasons why your body could be rejecting it, then it's useless.

karen
  6. ayhatch

ayhatch New Member

Soy is very bad for you if you have Thyroid problems. I have thyroid issues.I also have adrenal problems and it's bad for that too. My Endo and nutritionist have told me that basically digesting protien is a tough process for our bodies and soy is actually one of the hardest to break down. Some folks can handle it. I think it has to do with blood type too. I'm an A. I should eat a vegetarian diet with little meat protien from fish and occassional chicken, but no red meat, no soy.
    I also avoid cow dairy because it raises the glycemic index. When your adrenals are pooped you need to cut down on stimulation.
  7. evol_or_revert

evol_or_revert New Member

I haven't had the test either.

But if i eat or drink anything with soy in it my engery plumets and the next two days im wiped out.