question for those who drink green tea re: nasty side effects??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mischuv, Jun 21, 2006.

1. mischuv

mischuv New Member

Hi I started drinking green tea about 2-3 weeks ago on and off and in varying flavours and really like it, problem is I think that this could be the reason for me feeling dizzy and lightheaded on and off throughout the day - to the point where today I got out of a warm bath (not hot just warm) and had to lay down on the bathroom floor for 15 minutes and very slowly get up as I felt like I was going to pass out.

Just wondering anyone else have this kind of problem? It's only been going on since I started drinking the tea which is why that's what I think is causing it. I have been having 2 cups of the tea, usually cold, and 2-3 cups of coffee a day with 1-2 drinks of water as well and usually a cup of hot chocolate before bed. As I type this I'm thinking I really should add more water and a bit less caffiene :) that may also be the problem but I don't feel dehydrated so who knows.

I havn't had any of the tea since luchtime and I'm going to stay off it for a few days to see if it helps as I realise they may be unrelated but just wanted to see if anyone else had the same problem...

Sorry for dragging on it was supposed to be a quick and simple question lol Thanks Sally
  2. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I've been drinking green tea for about 7 years now. I usually have 1 in the morning and 1 in the afternoon. I usually have the decaf version as I have about 2 cups of coffee in the morning and caffeine really affects me.

I found that when I was having the regular green tea along with my coffee, it was giving me palpitations. Now that I take the decaf, that's stopped happening.

It may be that you're taking too much caffeine in. Caffeine has been known to cause that. When you say cups, do you mean 8 ounces or do you mean a coffee mug. Mugs usually run 1 1/2 to 2 cups of liquid.

Try switching to a decaf and see if that helps.
  3. msmac

msmac New Member

I was prescribed to use green tea, but don't like hot drinks, so use 1 tea bag in my first glass of water, then add a few ice cubes. By the time I drink most of this glass the tea is showing up. I then add more water. I do this most of the day. NO SUGAR. NO bad taste. If it is an unpleasant taste, try it this way, it is mellower, and of course you can add more bags, or heat it if you want stronger flavor. I like the "flavored water" NO sugars, etc. The first one I tried, however, did have honey and lemon and it, also was excellent. I drink no coffee, just this water mixture.

A ginger root costs about 50 cents and will last a couple of weeks wrapped in plastic in fridge: peel a little of it and chip/grate a little into the tea for a little different flavor, and for me it helps curb my appetite.
  4. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I think its from the "natural flavours", aka MSG. You mentioned you like the various flavoured kinds, and you must be allergic to MSG. Stick to a plain green tea w/ no flavour added, or a pure blend of green tea w/ other herbs and you'll be fine, I'm sure of it.

if you are drinking coffee too, I'm sure it can't be the caffeine, there is far more in coffee and besides, the so called caffeine in tea is really theine, a close cousin and doesn't pack the punch that real caffeine does.

I knew someone was going to report not feeling well from one of the these so called soothing tea blends because many of them have "natural flavours".

jeanne
  5. tejanya

tejanya New Member

i have been drinking hot and cold green tea for years. i try to get the decaf, but if not i drink maybe 12oz hot cup. i drink decaf coffee. when i do drink too much, more than i get the dizzy and yuck feeling. but i know it is from the caffiene in the tea. regular tea has done this to me for way too many years to admit. so i only drink 1 glass at supper.
  6. painandagony

painandagony New Member

good to stop drinking and confirm it's the tea causing the dizziness. interesting about the msg, i hadn't thought about that. i drink green tea everday, but usually one mug when i wake up and then one later in the day. if i have two in a row i start feeling lightheaded.