Question for those who have had a Mammogram

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mrstyedawg, Jul 1, 2006.

1. mrstyedawg

mrstyedawg Member

I had my first mammogram thursday. No breast problems just routine. My mom went in and had hers first. When she came out of the room she told me that it was painless and she had no problems.

My mom is overweight, but I am slim. When the machine was pressing on my chest bone to flatten my breast I was overcome with weakness and terrible breathing problems. Has this happened to anyonelse? I almost passed out. My mom had no problems whatsoever, and she has had open heart surgery and has had her chest bone cut open.

Just the thought of having this done every year sickens me, this is how bad it made me feel.

Andrea
  2. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

I have never had a painless mammogram. I am about 30 lbs overweight. I don't have weakness and breathing problems, however, the mashing of my breasts is so painful that I want to scream. The last time I had one, I told the female technician that they should have an equivalent test for men (sorry guys) and maybe they would come up with a test that wan't so painful.

Andrea, I hope you told the technician to stop when you were having that reaction.

Lolalee
  3. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I find a mammogram unpleasant for sure, but I think when you are slim it is much more painful.

Perhaps when it started to hurt you you started having anxiety, I hope they stopped it for you. I do have some anxiety when I have mine as well.

Hope you feeling better and don't let it stop you from going regularily.

Sue in Ontario
  4. mrstyedawg

mrstyedawg Member

The hospital that I had my mammogram done had a new machine that had cushions on it and it didn't hurt my breast at all just the breathing.

I recently saw a bill board advertising a new mammogram that was guarateened to be painless. The place this was too long of a drive for me or I would have went there.

I think it was called a Topogram.

I didn't tell the nurse to stop, I just wanted it over with.

Andrea
  5. mrstyedawg

mrstyedawg Member

I really wasn't nervous or anxious. The breathing problems and weakness began when they turned me to get a side picture of my right breast. It began when my bone above my breast was pushed. It hurt on that bone but it did not hurt my breast. I have terrible breathing problems anyway with my CFS, and this just seemed to bring it out.

Andrea
  6. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I take a pain pill that I have been given for FMS before I go and that helps the pain. The last lady who did my mammogram was an older woman and she did a really great job on it.

I told her that it was the best mammogram I had ever had. I think that made her day.

I take a pain pill before I get my hair done, before I see the dentist, etc. It seems to help with things like that.

I'm sorry you had an unpleasant experience with this.

Hugs,
    Faye
  7. carebelle

carebelle New Member

This is very painful for me.I am very large busted and I have to have it every 4 months because of problems.I wish someone would make a better test .

I get smashed so hard I could tuck them in my socks when I step back.

I am surprized no one has invented something better. Like Bet Mitler sang "a bolder holder" after that test we need better made bra's.
  8. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

Ouch, Andrea!

I think the person giving the exam should have been more careful.

I don't have any advice, just sympathy.

Hang in there,

Sue
  9. kriket

kriket New Member

I have had one. I had to have it before I had breast reduction surgery to make sure there were no unusual lumps. I was a DDD then. Now I am a C. It was kind of uncomfortable when I had it done- not to bad, but now I don't know that my C's will even fit in the machine. LOL

I knew a lady who had a mammogram once and she was totally bruised throughout both of her breast from it. She said she kept telling the nurse that it hurt, but the nurse kept shrugging her off like she was just putting on. She went back and showed the nurse that did her mammogram her big bruises. I am so sorry that you had a bad experience too.

Kriket
  10. Bren5

Bren5 New Member

I started getting mammagrams in my early 30's since my mom passed away from breast cancer.

I think it depends on the technician doing the test. Last summer I was having a problem & needed a diagnostic mammagram, had to go to the breast center at our women's & babies hosp. Even though I had pain & an infection from a cyst, the mammagram wasn't as painful as previous ones in the past.

[ advertisement ]