Question for those who take pain meds

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lvjesus, Aug 26, 2006.

1. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

Doctor gave me 5mg of Vicodin, 1/2 twice a day. Lately I have been taking 3 halves many days. He said he would increase to 7.5 mg if I needed it. He also said I could take advil or tylenol safely with the vicodin.

I feel like it would be better to take just the pain med since it works better than advil or tylenol. I was curious what others opinions/experiences are.

Some here told me before that their pharmacist had cautioned them against taking any additional tylenol or advil with the vicodin since it has 500mg (in my case) already in the pain pill.

Thanks,
    Sonya
  2. gidgetsmom

gidgetsmom New Member

I asked my pain doc last appointment what I could do to make med last longer rather than increasing the narcotic. I take Lortab 7.5 up to 4 a day. He said to take advil (not tylenol because of amount already in the med) with the Lortab. Not take it before or after, take at the same time. Seems to work alot better for me!! Hope this helps!!
    Shelley
  3. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

That does help. I will try it.
  4. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I just wanted to say that I tried taking the pain pill with the advil and it does work better but most days I am up to 3 a day, except today when I only had one around 3 PM but felt like the fatigue bus hit me and then backed up over me a few times. I had to wear sunglasses in my office. I told the manager if he made fun of me I would give him what I have!

This stuff is like a crap shoot every day, you never know what will happen to you, it is something new all the time.
  5. purplepooh

purplepooh New Member

i take 7.5/750mgs. of vicodin 1 to 2 every 4 hours

Melissa
  6. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I have only taken 2 of the Lortab 10/500 mg. today.

I still find that the 50 mg. of Diclofenac works fantastic on my pain and I take 200 mcg. of Cytotec which coats the stomach to keep from getting an ulcer from the NSAID.

Even on the Lortabs, they are basically for breakthrough pain for me. The Diclofenac is the one that helps my over all pain, but I've mentioned that to you a million times, I think. I feel so strongly about that med. ;-)

Wish I could add more to help you.

Love & hugs,
    Faye
  7. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

I take 7.5/ 750 mg of Vicodin 4 x a day.

My rheummy told me it is safe to take up to 4000 mg of tylenol a day. I have heard some say 3000.

I will be asking him for Norco the next visit with him because it only contains 325 mg. a pill. I dont want to chance it.

As far as taking ibuprofen or NSAIDs along with your pain meds, I am not sure. I dont take NSAIDs because I cannot due to my lapband surgery, and also it is a gastric irritant.

Take Care,
    Stephanie
  8. Leaknits

Leaknits New Member

My dr told me to take Ibuprofin with Percoset...well, it's not working and I'm wondering what in the world might be happening to my uh "inner plumbing..."

When the one Ibuprofin combined with the Perc didn't help he told me to keep adding Ibu's until I arrived at a level that helped.

Yes, I'm looking for a new doc. AGAIN.
    Lea.
  9. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

10. mrsjethro

mrsjethro New Member

My own personal experience. I had taken Lortabs 10/mg forever and it just seemed like I was still hurting all the time. The doc switched me to Lorcets, and for some reason, they don't wire me up like the Lortabs and Vicodin did.

I do believe that it contains a slight bit more acetaminophen (650 rather than 500, I think) than the Lortabs, but whatever it was in the Lorcets and Vicoden was balling me up in worse knots than I had already. They were actually contributing to my pain in the long run. I've been much better, get better pain relief, and take far less pain meds than I was of the same strength in the Lorcets now.

I just hope you find what works best for you, and very soon.
    (((((hugs))))
    MrsJ