Question for those with pets HELP

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gail, Mar 24, 2006.

1. gail

gail New Member

I have 4 dogs and 4 cats and I live in the suburbs. I keep all my cats inside and the dogs are mostly inside. My neighbor who is a B said that she might call the Health Dept and Humane Society because I am over the limit on animals. What can I or should I do??? My animals are all cared for and I have put up with a lot from her teenage, sloppy kids, and her hanging tree that is in my backyard. Help, does the Humane Society get carte blanche to come in my house anytime they feel like it.
  2. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

Can you reason with this person at all? Find out what the problem is and come to a compromise?

I know some people seem to be happy making other's miserable.

maybe if you reach out to her ( hard as it may be:) with kindness she will respond.

Usually people that try to make trouble for other's are themselves unhappy.

Remember you are doing it for the animal's.:)

I hope you can get this resolved, I know my pet's are part of the family.:)

Have you checked with the humane society ( don't give any personal info)to make sure of the limit.

Ask if there are exceptions ( such as keeping them indoors, spayed, all shot's, etc.)have a friend call or you call just asking for info.

Last resort if not attached to all find homes,or hide them.:)I know that is not honest and normally wouldn't suggest it, but I love my pet's.

Can you move? Just a thought.

I hope you get this resolved with your "family' intact.:)

Claudia

3. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Not much answers, but how big are the dogs? It makes a huge difference, i guess. I believe they would nicely come and talk to you at the door (if they even consider her complaint a problem, they might not even bother, do you know the laws in your area?)
    If everything is clean and cared for in your home, I suspect you are just fine. Humane care about abuse, or out of control situations. I don't think your situation is out of control at all, you seem to care for your animals, and don't intend to have any more than the ones you got now (?). But I really don't know for sure.
    I am sure they would tell your lovely neighbor to chill out if it's ok, and that should shut her up,,,,LOL!
  4. libra55

libra55 New Member

If you have more than 3 dogs your supposed to have a kennel license. I donn't know about cats.

I have two dogs. they bark a lot and i get nervous, i keep them inside because my neighbor doesn't like dogs.... I am afraid she would throw poison over my fence or something. They just go out to "do their business" then I bring them in.

I think your neighbor is just being a jerk. I would suggest tossing some "little tidbits" that your pets produce into her yard, but I guess that would just aggreavate her more. But it is fun to imagine isn't it. My husband wanted to do it to this woman so bad, he had the pooper scooper out and was going to fling the stuff but I stopped him just in time.

It's none of her business, she sounds like she needs to get a life. I think the Humane Society would ignore it if the animals are well cared for. but the Board of Health might make you have a kennel license if you already dont have one.

Maybe somebody in authority could be notified about that tree hanging over your property too, if she continues to harass you.

Michelle
  5. tejanya

tejanya New Member

call your local shelter or city hall. the shelter should know where to refer you if they do not know. the size of the animal also matters. explain they are house animals most of the time. express how more comfortable and secure you feel with them there. if your home smells like animal (which sometimes can not be helped), use baking soda instead of carpet fresh. it takes the smell up and if you use boric acid (powder) with the soda, it helps control fleas. is used only baking soda when we had 11 puppies then 1 1/2 mo later, another 14 pups inside. my house did not have the stink you would think from large animals and the pups. both litters were rott.
    if there is alot of complaints on the animals the shelter mite come out, but here in okie land, the animal has to bite someone for them to come out.
    be safe, call and find out what info you can. be prepared. 2 wrongs do not make a right.
    if you have to get rid of some. try a rehab place for drugs. the animal can help those people come back to reality and know they are not alone. i know some rehab does this because my nephew was at one. that's where an abandoned dog went. he is very well taken care of. we checked. good luck.
  6. futurehope

futurehope New Member

I have also heard that there is a limit to how many dogs you have.

I would suggest trying to find out what the limit is based on where you live.

If you are over the limit, then I would try to warm up to her somehow. Start talking to her, find out what she likes, tell her you like it too. Be pleasant and agree with her.

She may be full of bull about trying to get your dogs taken away. But, I, myself, (having 3 dogs and being such an animal lover) would not ever take that chance. See might be serious.

Hope everything works out.
  7. jerseybunny

jerseybunny New Member

they have to call you and set it up in advance. police with a warrnat can just "barge" in. but. not anyone else. this is not a police thing.
    my freind had the same thing happen. she freaked out.. we helped her clean up well. they came. said she had too many. but, were going to overlook it beacause they were in a claean safe home. they really don't want to take them out of safe homes when there are already so many in the shelters that are not loved.. i would relax. try to ignore her. if it happens. you can deal with it. i too would hide them. never get rid of. i have 16 buns.my ex neighbors hated me. they knew never to even think of calling on me. be strong. be polite.. avoid them as much as possible and smile. if they call on you. all will be fine. i myself would threaten to call social servisces on them. but. i am not afraid of people.. i'm BAD....:p
  8. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

sure about the rules there but I do know that it's not always the Humane Society who make the decision.

Some places have the Humane Society control the limits and in other places it is controlled by the City and Animal Control.

I would find out what the limits are, who enforces them and what exceptions they have. Call anonymously and get the info and then you can protect yourself.

If you get some of them classified as assistance/therapy animals that may help with limits too.
  9. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

If you live in town and not in the county than there may be a three dog limit, I think you can count on it. You can start letting only 2 dogs outside at the same time. Don't show the whole town (or your neighbor) you have 4 dogs. You may have to buy bark collars if thats the problem too. If the HS sees 4 dogs(say in the yard at the same time) they can make you get rid of one.
    Good luck,
    Dee50
  10. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Gail,
    What a terrible situaton. I have pets, too. and would be devastated if I had to get rid of any of them.

I don't know where you live, but where I live, In California, our town has a three pet limit. Usually, only nean neighbors report a person. What happens is this:

If a person is reported, the Humane Society rep. comes out to investigate. In something like barking, the rported person gets 2 chances, and then they have to get rid of the pet.

In a case like yours, You may have no recourse, since you are expected to know the law. If you have a puppy under 4 months he/she does not count. If any of the pets are with you temporarily, they, also, don't come into this equation. In out area, we have 4 month limit.

Otherwise, you might start looking for homes for some of
    the pets. I'm sorry, this seems hard, but this might be the case. If you get a nice humane worker, and she can see that your pets are well cared for, and there is already a shortage of homes, you might be allowed to keep them, especially if some of them are old. If not, you might be given a chance to find the homes, yourself.

I would be fore-armed, so that if you are ordered to place some of your pets, you alresdy have the names of people who would take them. That would be better than sending them to a regular pound. Or, if worst comes to worst, you might jump the gun and be sure they get into a no-kill or breed rescue. that way, they can be reasonbly assured of a happy home.

If you consider gettng a kennel licence, it would be good to investigate the regulation s first. Many places have regulations as to where kennels can be and where they can't.

Maybe a friend or relative would take some over for you. I'm really sorry for you. Please let us know what happens.

Hugs,
    Terry
    [This Message was Edited on 03/25/2006]
  11. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Unless there is some special ordinance against it as a lot of gated communities have, then I think that so long as your pets are well cared for then it is no one's business but your own.

Do you have the money to erect a tall fence? We made a really cheap one once using 2x3 furring strips 8ft high(make sure 8ft fence is OK set on cross members made of same furring strips (two across) You just need the 4 x 4 fence posts.

We just put it on the side of the neighbor who was always being nosey.

Another thing we did as a temp measure we erected a clothes line and got big old sheets from the salvation army thrift store and pinned them in place on the line with safety pins and weighted them at the bottom with stones tied in the edges and that gave us a big old temp fence. Another friend of mine bought used tall artificial Xmas trees and set them along the fence.

Just call and check ordinance and if needed lie about the cats, she won't know. Another thing is have a good friend "own" two of the dogs and say you are sitting them. Just get the friends name on the licence.

Sorry you have this worry. We had 2 dogs and five cats and no problem doggies just died last year.

Love Anne C
    [This Message was Edited on 03/25/2006]
  12. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

there was another thread a week or so about service animals in stores and what ever....it got me to thinking...perhaps some of your animals could be service animals....for fighting depression and ???

what i understood from the thread that if you have a service animal, you can't be questioned a whole lot about them...also, what makes an animal a service animal? it didn't sound like you had to do anything official to call yur pet a serviec animal...they just have to serve a purpose....or be trained to do somethinfg...or have your doc write an rx for the animals...maybe you would be protected be the ADA...just a thought...
  13. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

In the county we live in there is a limit of 3 dogs and 4 cats. I just don't think they (the health dept.) would do anything to you for having 4 inside only cats and 4 mostly inside only dogs that are well cared for.

I think that person is trying to scare you.

I truly don't think your animal control would do a thing to you or say anything to you. I think this is all a mean thing that lady is trying to do to you.

Let her call the humane society as they won't do a thing for just 4 dogs and 4 cats. Give me a break here!

You also can cut the part of her tree that is on your property too.

I would just ignore this woman and as long as you are keeping clean litter boxes and all there is nothing the humane society can or would do. They are happy you are caring for the animals instead of them being in a shelter to be frank.

Hon, don't worry, I know everything would be fine with that. Too bad that lady doesn't move away.

Hugs,
    Faye
  14. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i am sorry you are having problems...but you have a lot of good advice here already...

i only say keep it simple, call spca in your local county find out what the pet owners are allowed to have legally...then take it from there...

of course make sure your animals are up to code so to speak...

the monkey children...haning on the trim limb on your property? are you legally responsible if they break their neck's or injure themselves...call the police to find out what you are legally responsible there then take it from there...

hmm,,,maybe you should get a nice rotweiler in your back yard...the are great protectors of your property...but i would be ticked too if they were haning in my back yard...

i owned a rottie, the best you could every own in my opinion...i would infomr they lady of the house....after you have gotten all your p's and q's in order...that you having been dealing with her children hanging in your back yard and you have been nice enough to allow it...and have kept you doggies out of your own back yard...do you have a fenced in yard?

kids can be very tormenting to dogs...they think is funny to throw things at the dogs or swing jump ropes at them and feed them food...had it happen....

one neighbor feed my inlaws dog a tennis ball coated in bbq sauce...they had to have it cut out of the dogs stomach...they have an acre and a half all fenced area for their dog...well did he has moved on to doggy heaven...

but do not tolerate harrasment from these people...but do realize if you have barking dogs that is a complaint that is taken seriously as well...be respectful of people's quiet enjoyment...i know you already are...

but just be smarter than her...

jodie