Question for WOMEN!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mistyd96, Sep 29, 2005.

1. mistyd96

mistyd96 New Member

Can a flare cause a delay in getting your period? I have been flaring really bad this week, and I am a few days late on my cycle!!!!! 3 kids is enough!

Also, does anyone know why my entire body itches? Even my ears!

Thanks!
    Misty
  2. jenunsa

jenunsa New Member

Yeah, that happens to me, too. If I've been having a flare that lasts for a week or more, my period will be a few days late. I think the same mechanism is at work that effects women who exercise a lot (marathoners or serious athletes, etc.) -- some go months without menstruating and it's because their bodies are stressed by the extreme physical activity just like a flare will stress the body. I think it's a safety mechanism built into womens' bodies to prevent getting totally depleted. It would be bad to be pregnant while the body is already stressed, so the ovulation/menstruation cycle is interupted until the body can recover. That's what I've heard, anyway.

As for the itching, I'm not sure. It could be hormonal. If you're at the premenstrual stage of you cycle, your estrogen level will be lowered which could mean that your body is able to use more thyroid hormone (I've heard that thyroid hormone and estrogen compete for binding sites on the cells of our bodies). I'm thinking this has something to do with the itching because when I was hyperthyroid from Graves' Disease, I kept getting very itchy, especially at night, for no apparent reason, all over my body. It turns out it is a symptom of Graves' Disease (hyperthyroidism).
    Not sure if this is what's going on with you, but just thought I'd mention it.
    Good luck!
  3. jana15

jana15 New Member

It's happened to me this month. I had a lot on my plate for one week, six weeks ago and as a result have been bedridden. I am totally pooped out and for the firest time in yonks, missed my period. I KNOW I'm not pregnant and am still a tad too young for menopause, so I've put it down to the fatigue.

Mind you, I haven't missed it! :)

Cheers Jana
  4. mistyd96

mistyd96 New Member

Thanks for all your replies. I am young enough to get pregnant, but so don't want to be. I am starting school again in 3 weeks to become a licensed vet tech, and can't do alot of it if preggo. (It includes x rays, handling large animals....cows, goats etc., very sick animals etc.

I hope it is just the flare or stress, and as much as I hate Aunt Flo, I am anxious for her to show up.

Misty

5. browneyes259

browneyes259 New Member

The pain meds that you are taking, if any, for your flare can cause itching. I use Lortab for my pain and it makes me itch like crazy all over. Drives me nuts sometimes but worth the pain relief.

Just a thought, hope it helps!

Jen