Question ? is it normal to have jaw pain from stress?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rosemarie, Jan 16, 2006.

1. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

Both my upper and lower jaaw hae been aching sicne my MOm was in the hospital and they still are they ease off every now and them and I haev been rincing with salt wather and brushing really good. But I am wondering if i have been grinding my teeth or clenching my jaw as I sleep or get stressed.

I know that I have been holding my jaw reallly tight as I have been so worried about my MOM and I wil just bite so hard on them that they willache. How do I make me stop doing that so they don't hurt anymore. YEs I should see the dentist but I don't have the money right noww and I cna't see him again till the bill is paid off So I am up a creek with out a paddle.

I don't know what to do any more. I am so tired adn txhusted all thhe time and my pain doc;s nurse tried to adujust my meds adn she increased them by 100 mg a day so I was taking 100 mg;'s of MScontin 5 times a day adn she wawnts me to take 200 mg 3 times a day and I don't want to do that as I was afarid that I would have a reactionto it and i did. So I had her give me the lower dosage and would take 2 pills 3 times a day and with in onnne and a half days I was sick to my tummy and had a bad bad headache so I went back to the routine that was working for me. But now I have this jaw that is aching and I am stressed about things that are happening in my liife adn I need to relax and stop worring about the things I can't change.

Just to let you know MOm is home from the hospitial and is doing much better and feeling better too. for that I am so greatful. I am so tired that I am giving up on writing this post sorry if it is mixed up and does not make scence to you. I am going to rince my mouth with salt wather to see if that will ease the pain from it and them i am going to go to bed.

HUGS TO ALL, Love you Rosemarie
  2. natrlvr2

natrlvr2 New Member

You can get jaw pain from stress if you are clenching your teeth(and not even know it),also tension/stress affects your neck and your neck is connected to your jaws.I also found out that I grind my teeth at night and I had to get a mouth splint for my top teeth,but the damage is done,my teeth are shorter than normal.I do also have myofascial pain syndrome.My face used to ache so bad,I had to have intense therapy for awhile.
    They hooked me up to a biofeedback machine but they learned I already was doing that on my own.
  3. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

Hi Rosemarie,

I get jaw pain quite a bit but I am a teeth grinder in my sleep - especially when I am stressed. And recently I thought I was getting TMJ but my Rheumy said it was arthritis...yep in my jaw. He told me that there is not much you can do about it but take tyelnol or a muscle relaxers.

Good Luck - I know how much it hurts on top of everything else you are going through...Take care, Nancy
  4. kalley167

kalley167 New Member

when I am stressed. I do have TMJ. I don't grind I clench. It can be very painful at times. I have a mouth piece to wear at night don't use it often as it bugs me. They sell these at Walmart now much cheaper than the one at the dentist office. You might try one.
    Stress can cause all kinds of reactions from your body. I hope you can find a way to relax and feel relief. I know its not easy. God Bless
  5. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

toto. In fact often I look down and my fists are clenched too. I have clenched jaws so much I have ground the back teeth down too smooth. So maybe this is what is happening. My PT says to always have the tip of the tongue touching the roof of the mouth behind front teeth as one then cannot clench. Sounds harder than it looks! Crom Hope your mom gets well forever soon.
    Anne(Crom)