Question? Lets say I do get better!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by chopindog, Dec 17, 2005.

1. chopindog

chopindog New Member

And lets say I have been approved for social sucurity disability, and I am still getting my long term disability from unum provident.

Then after 14 months I relapse after I have gone back to work and lost the disability. Do I have to start all over again to get disability? Will they make it even harder this time around?

Has anyone out there gone through this, or know some info about this subject? I would greatly apreciate any replies!!

I don't want to sound or be negative, I would hope that if I got better that I would stay better, but we all know that there is a chance of relapse and the money situation scares me to death!! Joy
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

at least for SSD, I think you have 5 years during which you can go back on SSD without having to go thru the whole procedure again as long as it is for the same condition. As far as the private disability insurance, that is a different question and you probably need to consult your attorney.

SSA has a lot info at:
    http://www.ssa.gov/work/ResourcesToolkit/legisregfact.html

hope this helps,
    Victoria
  3. shell3

shell3 New Member

these are just what ifs.i was finaly diagnosed after 2 yrs.it has been 5yrs. now.i receive ss disability..every day is a day with pain fogginess etc.. enough about me. i wouldnt rush too fast to get back to work. these diseases that we have ....good days and bad days. it would be a shame to get back to work and have a setback. if ss didnt think you were disabled you wouldnt have been approved.try to feel better and have a good day once in awhile.[few and far between] good luck shell ??
  4. chopindog

chopindog New Member

It is atleast good to know that SSDI will let you try to go back to work. I didn't figure UNUM would. I have a fight ahead of me with unum anyway. Once I hit the two year mark they will try to stop my benefits do to my illness being self reported.

I am not anywhere close to being able to work again, I just wonder about my future. I am only 28 years old and was only ablle to work with a registered nurse degree for 3 years before I got ill. I do so much wish I could be a "normal" again, but I am fully aware that m chances are pretty slim.

Thankyou again for your replies! I wish we would all just get better together, and take the world by storm. Think how much more we would all appreciate just having a normal life. After living the life with a chronic illness that people don't believe in!!!! Joy
  5. chopindog

chopindog New Member

Thank you so much for your reply. Although I have not even been approved for SSD yet, it is still a relief to know that they don't use a person attempting to get back to work against you.

I just can't imagine going through all that people have to go through to get approved, and then having to do it all over again! Joy
  6. GBHope

GBHope New Member

Went back to work in 2001 full-time, relapsed big-time and got worse and worse. My trial work period of 9 months ran out, and they reinstated my benefits when I needed to go back down to part-time. Now I don't work at all and there is no problem.

GBHope