Question - Muscle Spasms

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sachmo, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Sachmo

Sachmo New Member

I have a question. Does anyone else get muscle spasms for no reason. I sometimes, usually before a flare I get muscle spasms. Sometimes my arm or leg will jerk. Also I get a muscle that tightens and relaxes for about a minute.

If I take a muscle relaxer, it will make it better.

Does anyone else have this? If you do, any ideas what precipitates it
  2. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

when I start to spasm. They mostly come for me in the legs but sometimes the arms. It just happened last night when I layed in bed - I was trying to relax and my muscles were twitching and jerking. It is a very strange feeling.

Kelly
  3. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

Yes, I get muscle spasms often. And Klonopin does stop it. I also use Potassium and that will stop it too. If the body is completely depleted of Potassium,you could die. Muscle spasms is one symtom of Potassium deficiency! A lot of drugs cause Potassium deficiency. Water pills,some heart meds.etc. You can check with your Dr and see if any meds. is causing a Potassium deficiency. Or do a Google search.
    Shirley
  4. elsa

elsa New Member

Absolutely! It's a cornerstone of our illness, LOL. It just wouldn't be fibro without those delightful little spasms.

I have more of the "tighten and then relax after a couple of minutes" type of spasms ... usually in my lower back.

The other type of spasms do happen, I just have gotten so used to them that I have to stop and think about it first. Have a small one going on right now in my right foot. It doesn't hurt though.

Muscle relaxers really are helpful and they do their job. At first I didn't like to take them because they relax your head too, LOL. I found a way to take them that works for me.

My rx is for flexeril 5mgs. If I have overdone things and have spasms, I'll start taking baby sized doses of flex. starting around 3pm (like 1/4 of one 5mg tab). After that I take subsequent doses every 2-4 hours with the last one at bedtime.

Haven't ended up taking more the about 7mgs, which is still any incredibly small amount. By breaking it up, I don't have any kind of "hangover" the next day.

Doing this breaks the pain/spasm cycle ... After my muscles are doing better, I stop taking the flexeril until needed again.

You are on the right track with this, ... you'll just have to experiment with types of muscle relaxers and doses/timing until you find what works for you. We are all different in our group of symptoms, and how meds work for us .... makes things very challenging.

Take care,

Elsa
  5. elsa

elsa New Member

Giving you a chance to read responses ....

Elsa
  6. piebear

piebear New Member

Oh I definitely have spasms. They seem to be mostly in my back and hip areas though. Usually I get them when I overdo it but sometimes they happen for no reason at all.