Question on Costochondrits and food?????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tes, Feb 26, 2003.

1. tes

tes New Member

Hi,
    Thank you for reading my post. I know many of us suffer with costochondritis and I was just wonder if anyone notices increased pain after eating certain foods. I suffer daily with pain in my lower rib area and sometimes pain becomes unbearable after eating dairy, lettuce and many more foods. I have had stomach tests, gallstone test, liver barium enema, blood work etc. with negative results. My question is foods and costochondrits. If any notices increased pain with certain foods, please post back.

Thank you kindly,
    Tes
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Can't help with your question, but your post was at the botton of the page, so though I would just drop a line to bump it back up for you.

I don't have a problem with food and costochondritis, but I do get it and it worst when I have a cold and cough a lot.

I use a heating pad for the pain, and a OTC Advil.

Shalom, Shirl
  3. tes

tes New Member

for helping out. I am sick right now and have been coughing alot. It could be aggravating me more. Does your costo affect your lower ribs as well? Such a tough illness to deal with. Gentle hugs. Tes.
  4. tandy

tandy New Member

Knowing that I have IBS....with that there are alot of foods that trigger my gut problems.but when I get the gut problems,thats when the rib pain kicks in too. My ribs hurt towards the waist and sides.( my lower ribs) My Dr asked me if they hurt towards my collarbone area too??Mine don't~ She did say that it was related to the FM,another symptom. But I wish I knew for sure!! the only tests that I"ve had done so far is,the endoscopy......colonoscopy,gall bladder scan and a pelvic U sound. I do have scoliosis so I wonder if with my spine being otta wack(not straight)that it puts more pressure on one side of my rib cage.I always have left sided pain.
    At times the pain will even effect the hip area on the same side~ I have to avoid dairy myself.I have Lactose intolerance.(which was'nt discovered untill last year)I don't eat cheese,and I drink lactaid milk.One day I wanted to test it....So I ate 2stuffed shells....
    OMG...I was in sooooooo much pain!! I almost went to the ER!! Sorry to hear your still having this pain with no relief!! I get it alot too. I think mine is the costo-condritis but I'm not even sure~
    You should start a food diary......when you get the pain,write down every thing you've eaten.And take it from there.(an idea??) best of luck....I know the pain can knock you for a loop!!
    Hugs,
    Tracey
  5. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Grains, potatoes, & pasta will all make me bloat so much that my ribs feel like they will pop,and of course that aggravates the Costo. So, I gave them up, and immediately lost 2 inches off my waist. :)
    Klutzo
  6. Dlebbole

Dlebbole New Member

Hey Tes

I was interested when you specifically mentioned lettuce as being a trigger for the pain. Do you notice if other raw or lightly cooked foods are a problem? I ask because I went four years with what sounds similar. Every time I ate lettuce, or any raw or lightly cooked vegetable, I got a pain like I had been kicked in the stomach and it was bruised. Also the sore ribs. Even though I had been tested for gall bladder and it was negative, I found out much later, using a different test, that my gall bladder in fact was non-funcional. the surgical nurse stated that not tolerating lettuce was "classic." The test was a HIDA scan. Good luck. Diane
  7. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Sorry, didn't know you asked me a question. Yes, my lower ribs hurt too. Sometimes they hurt on bothsides and from the top of my rib cage to the other.

I walk around with my arms around my body.

Sure hope you are feeling better by now.

Shalom, Shirl