Question on filing disability and FIBRO

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mrpain, Oct 22, 2006.

1. mrpain

mrpain New Member

Who, when, & how can somebody file for disability? I retired with an early retirement from my job with the city , and I'm drawing a fixed pension. Not as good as I would have if I had completed full retirement..

The reason I took early retirement was because of my fibromyalgia, cfs, and sleep apnea. With all the symptoms I was having with this disease, I had no other option. I didn't tell anyone at work why I chose to leave early because I figured they wouldn't have understood anyways. Plus they probably didn't really care.

So when the window of opportunity for an early retirement came, I just knew I better take it. But my eye doctor asked me the other day if I was ever going to work again. I told him my problems and how the pain, fatigue, brainfog, and ibs, just to name a few, wouldn't allow me to, and how I just felt bad all the time. He told me to apply for disability!

So that is why I'm asking this question because I never thought about it until he brought it up to me...Any advice would be greatly appreciated..
    [This Message was Edited on 10/22/2006]
  2. sisland

sisland New Member

Hi
    all i know about it is that if you paid into social security all the years you were working then yes apply! if your Dr. said so i would go for it ! Just call your local ss office and they will help you get the process started!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Having a Lawyer is very Helpful also! one that specializes in SS-Disability!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,If Your Dr is backing you then that is a good sign! Not sure where the pension thing fits in but it wont hurt to try!

I was a Nurse/Therapy aid for 22 years and Had to file for Disability for Fm etc,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and they didn't even take my pension money into consideration, although i recieved it in a lump sum it was not an issue with SSD,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Goodluck!,,,,,,,,,,sisland
    [This Message was Edited on 10/22/2006]
  3. Dixie_Amazon

Dixie_Amazon Member

I haven't worked for a while. Is there a time limit on claiming disability?
  4. kjfms

kjfms Member

Sorry I am of no help here but I just wanted to say hi to you and to wish you the best of luck. Have you checked out that site everyone mentions disabilitysecrets.com?

Take care,

Karen :)
  5. suzetal

suzetal New Member

I won my case for FM and depression second.I received a bench approval.

I had 100% support from all of my doctors 6 at the time I first filed.But as you well know most get denied the first and second time and than go before the ALJ.Thats what happen to me I had to go before the judge.

Even with all my Doctors stating I could not do secondary work they still denied me.

At my hearing their doctor said there was no way I could work at this time.The vocational expert never spoke .The judge than gave me my bench approval and it was over in 15 minutes after 3 years.

I do not believe your pension interferes with it cause I was on LTD when I applied and the judge asked my attorney if it was some kind of pension or personal Ins. that I had paid for she told her yes.So in my case it did not matter.

Good
    Luck
    And do give it a shot you have nothing to loose and something to gain.

Sue
  6. suzetal

suzetal New Member

Not sure about time limit.But you do need enough work credits.I would call my local office and ask if there is one.They may ask why you waited so long.

I would tell them that I had hopes of returning to work.You see that would be the truth .I would LOVE to return to work.My life stinks right now with the pain every day and not knowing if I will be able to go out from one day to the next.

Give it a shot
    Sue
  7. mrpain

mrpain New Member

If I've never paid into social security, then disability is not for me???? I've always paid into pension during my career. And thanks Karen for that web site...
  8. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

Hi mrpain,

I don't know how much help I can be but I wanted to try...

I am awaiting my decision after my hearing and I know how frustrating this can be from the beginning...

I won't 'quote' anything cause I am not an expert but I can tell you some things I recall...

I made my hubby apply lasy year cause I read somewhere that you MUST apply within five years of not working...Something about needing enough credits and you must have worked 5 of the last 10 years...After he contacted his lawyer, he advised him that this info was correct...He then began his application...

For me, it was advised that I hire a lawyer from the beginning, which I did...I still had to go the distance but not alone...You only pay (25%) if you win and a lawyer will tell you if you have a case when you first meet...

There is much info on this board and also avenues to find lawyers...I hope you find all the info you need and it is not a stressful experience for you...We can dream, can't we?

Best of Luck~Alicia
  9. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

SSD. My city gov hires a co to help you get SSD. I would never have tried by myself. If your old co. has access to a law firm, go for it through them. If not, hire a lawyer. I have FM and got great diagnoses from my 6 drs. and even the SS doctor and their psyc. Keep every scrap of paper and when you speak to a person, please be sure to write down their name so you will have a name if you have to call back.

Good luck. We have some here who have been trying for many yrs. It took me 2 yrs from the time I finally had to take pension disability. I havent recieved my disability letter yet from SSD but my advocate says I will recieve it this week and then the award letter in a few weeks.

Good luck to you. There are many articles on what to do on this site. Go to the top to search and type it in.

Suzette
  10. TKE

TKE New Member

If you worked 10 years then you should have enough work credits. Your SS is taken out of your pay each week & sent to SSA by your employer. Call or visit your local SSA office & ask them.

You also need your doctors to back you when applying for SSD. If you can no longer work due to so many health problems then ask your doc(s) if they will support you in this. Your symptoms need to be in yor medical records, so make sure your doc has them all listed. Write them down & give them to him. I didn't ask my family doc I told him I was applying, as I could no longer sit, stand for any length of time due to the pain & fatigue. I went from his office to SSA & started my application. I don't have a lawyer yet, will get one after my first denial.

When filling out your info they want to know why your health problems hinder you from working even a desk job. So list them in detail...example: "sitting in front of a computer causes increase in pain in lower back & neck, which also causes fatigue to the point I can't think straight, I get confused/overwhelmed, the only way I get relief is to lay down/sleep for 2-3 hours, apply heating pad,etc." This is what they need to hear & also your doc needs to show in your records you have these issues too & what gives you relief from your symptoms. Many of us over look our limitations, as we've learned to deal with them, so if you have someone close ask them how you've changed over the last few years. Then list it on your application & questionaires. Also list more thn one thing. My Huz brought many things to light I didn't even consider.

The site someone else listed has good info. Take the time & read thru the whole site. The longer you wait to apply the longer it'll take, so don't think too long on this.