Question on Hydroco/Apap

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Maribelle, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Maribelle

Maribelle New Member

A quick question, please. I take prescribed by my dr Hydroco/Apap 5-500m, 1 tab every 8 hrs.

I have been on this med for about 5 years now and 1 tablet doesn't seem to take the pain

away like it used to. I know that this can typically happen when taking meds over a long

period of time.

My question it okay to take 2 of these pills at a time? I googled this question and I got

a few different answers. I trust this board more, so I decided to come here and find out

I could call my dr, but I don't ever want him to think that I am trying to abuse my meds.

It takes me about 3 or more months to get thru 1 bottle and his nurse still has to be called in

to get it prescribed each time.

Thank you & Happy New Year!

2. Maribelle

Maribelle New Member

Just to were on 2 pills of this med at a time?

I am due for a physical soon and I will discuss the Norco with the dr.

Thanks bunches!

3. Maribelle

Maribelle New Member

I decided to not take two tablets, instead I'll wait till my next dr appt to discuss other options.

Yesterday, my husband and I had an invite for brunch at my brother's house. I was afraid I was going to have to cancel because I have been in an awful flare for about 1 week (longest ever). I took only 1 tab for pain and it worked enough that I could go. So, 1 tab worked!

This DD is so strange. Never know what will do the trick. Grateful for the reprieve and grateful to this board!

Again, thanks!

4. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

I think what is in your stomach makes a difference on how well your pills work...when the last time you ate was....and what you ate....and other meds sitting in your tummy and mixing with the pain pills....
  5. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

instead of taking 2 pills try taking 1 and a half. My script is for the same as you and sometimes I just need a little more.
  6. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Hi -
    A couple of things - your pharmacist is not the one to talk to. They are not going to 'okay' you to take more than you are prescribed. That being said, I wouldn't be nervous about talking to your Dr. at all. Being on the same dose for that amount of time doesn't suggest abuse in the least bit. Even when a person has a minor surgery/dental procedure, they are prescribed to take every 4-6 hrs.

The toxic level for Acetominophen is 4000 mg per day. You can have up to 8 5/500 pills her day.
    Norco which is 10/325 - you can have up to 12 per day (not 3). I've been prescribed that much. Believe me lots of people are. When I've gone to pick up my script (this was a few years ago), my pharmacy was out and they told me that they had several patients picking up scripts for 360 pills that morning.

Your Dr. may have written your script to say 3 per day but wrote it as once every 8 hrs. My Dr. has had to write it certain ways.
    Is it dangerous to take 2 at once? No. I would never tell someone to take more than they are used to, or prescribed but if anything I'd take 1.5, or not wait the whole 8 hrs, maybe wait 4 and see if that helps.