QUESTION ON IRRITABLE BOWEL SYNDROME

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tes, May 15, 2003.

1. tes

tes New Member

I haven't posted in awhile. I have been so busy with the kids and trying to feel good. For all that have IBS, does weather change cause flare ups with your ibs? I have been going through absolute hell since July with my lower ribs and around the waistline area. I have had sooooo many tests since then with no findings. I have had blood work, upper gi, barium enema, abnominal ultrasound, chest and rib x-rays, and even had a HIDA scan to make sure it wasn't gallbladder. My doctor is now starting to suspect IBS. I was doing o.k. for about a month and it has hit me really hard again. Pain in the lower ribs and severe pain on the waist area, tons of trapped gas..which hurts like hell and constipation and dirreaha. Does this sound like IBS and I have noticed foods like spinach, salads, patatoes...bother me big time. However, does the weather change also play a role with IBS? Also, does anyone have ibs so bad that the pain is there 24/7? Thanks for listening and hope someone can give me some advice.
  2. pearls

pearls New Member

My IBS does not seem to flare with the weather. I'm having my second flare of IBS since my fibromyalgia started three years ago, but in my case, I really think it has to do with the fact that I'm a teacher and am going through the end of the school year - and my final year in teaching. Retirement is a happy occasion for me, to be sure, but the stress is terrible. Luckily, I've just been having mild symptoms. I hope they don't get any worse before they get better!

Good luck to you.

pearl
  3. kar1953

kar1953 New Member

I've had it for about 5 or 6 years. The pain in the rib area & waist described me to a T. I also had burning pain in my chest, constipation one minute & dirreaha the next. I had all the tests you've had. My gastro. says there is no specific test for IBS - you just rule out everything else. I can't say I've noticed a difference due to change in the weather. It took awhile to get mine calmed down - can't remember all the stuff he had me taking. Now I only take 5mg. of Paxil a day & since going on a lo carb hi protein diet a year ago I've had very few minor problems. Don't know if it was the diet or not. But it worked for me & I'm sticking with it.

And before I was diagnosed, I was also sick to my stomach (actually threw up) whenever I ate (lost 30# in 2 months) & had pain 24/7.

Hope you get some relief soon. I know what you're going through & it's not fun.

Take care........Kathi
  4. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

Long ago in a far away pasture I developed IBS. For years and I do mean years, my life revolved around the type I had;

Now, since being with FMS since 1994 (at the least), the IBS, mine being diarrheal, I slowly began just staying home. The fear of having an "accident" in public just became more than I could deal with....I believe my panic disorder is a direct aftershot of the IBS ordeal.

I do take Levsin SL. If I must go out before 11:00 a.m. I take imodium which works pretty good and quickly but the anticholenergic effect I seek to avoid.

An aside. I noted my presc. for the levsin changed to "take for pain TID"...I called the pharmacist about this change in labeling and he explained the active ingredient is a smooth muscle relaxer which is effective for the type of IBS I have.

Hang in. The elimination process is not pleasant but necessary. Love Lil'
  5. Notonline

Notonline New Member

But I think the hot summer heat mixed with summer activities and food...can make anyone a bit "crampy"...but with IBS it can last all day and make your life miserable. I avoid those summer picnics if the port-a-potty is not in close range. Anything sweet...cake with icing...is a BIG BIG no-no in the summer heat.

You need to start noticing your "triggers"...food that set you off...like you're doing already. Sometimes it's not the food itself I've found, but the way it's prepared or served. Like in my case, it's not the salad that's the culprit, but the dressing on it. Boiled potatoes are okay with me, but not fries. Pepsi is baaaaddd.

Everyone is different, so different things might set you off. I've had IBS since I was 13. Stress is a big factor with me, and usually not avoidable. When my father passed away in 1995...I went from weighing 152lbs. before he got sick...to 120lbs all in just a couple of months...I couldn't take a sip of water without running to the bathroom it seemed. I've been taking probiotics (heard about them on the board here) and they do seem to help a bit for me. Hope you hit on something to ease your pain.

Danny

6. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

I've been in a flare, diarrhea, since the day after Thanksgiving! I don't know what will 'always' cause it. Sometimes certain foods do, then sometimes they don't. I haven't figured it out yet & I've had it for over 10 years. dolsgirl
  7. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

To have this is just the pits, I have it too, and just found this article yesterday...

Happy reading

Love Pat.

Leaky Gut Syndrome is a possibly unpleasant sounding name but it describes a gut which is inflamed and has got very porous, (much more porous than it should be), and it is letting large food proteins, bacteria, fungi, metals and toxic substances straight into our blood stream or in more scientific language, an increase in permeability of the intestinal mucosa to luminal macromolecules, antigens and toxins associated with inflammatory degenerative and/or atrophic mucosal damage. Once in the blood stream our immune system is the last line of defense to deal with these substances and it will eventually get overwhelmed if a Leaky Gut is not rectified.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Diseases Caused By Leaky Gut Syndrome
    Chronic Fatigue Syndrome,
    Rheumatoid Arthritis,
    Asthma,
    Multiple Sclerosis,
    Fibromyalgia,
    Vasculitis,
    Crohn’s Disease,
    Addison’s Disease,
    Lupus,
    Thyroiditis,
    are only some of the Auto-Immune disorders that are all treated very effectively when a leaky gut is healed.

The inflammation caused by Leaky Gut Syndrome also damages the protective coating of the antibodies of the IgA family (immunoglobins) normally present in a healthy gut. The IgA’s help our body to ward off infections, however, a leaky gut causes considerable damage to the immune system (IgA’s) and makes us less resistant to viruses, bacteria’s, parasites, toxic materials, metals and candida.

Another problem a leaky gut creates is a mineral deficiency because the damage that happens to the carrier proteins which are needed for transport of specific minerals are damaged by the inflammatory processes. For example, a magnesium deficiency that is present in most Fibromyalgia patients. This patient can take incredibly high doses of magnesium, however, if the carrier protein for this mineral is damaged, no matter how much of the mineral you take, it will not get into the body where it is needed. This can also be true for some bone disorders. Even a zinc deficiency, which will effect hair loss and some eye disorders (macular degeneration). Copper deficiency can also occur this way which can lead to Osteoarthritis or even elevated blood cholesterol in some cases. For any syndrome that could be connected to a mineral deficiency, or exhibits symptoms that don’t seem to go away no matter what you do, you should consider the possibility of a leaky gut.

Causes of Leaky Gut Syndrome
    Our intestinal lining replaces itself approximately every 24 hours. This means that every cell that the lining is composed of is digested or sloughed off, and a new one grows to take its place. All this activity means the gut uses more blood when it is resting than any other organ but it is also the first to lose its blood supply when in a fight or flight situation, which is what stress is. If you have a lot of stress then your gut will always be starved for blood and the lining will be impaired.

Other factors which cause or worsen LGS are:

Alcohol and caffeine which irritate the gut wall, this includes cokes (diet and regular), chocolate, coffee, cocoa.
    Contaminated foods, E. coli and other bacteria’s can develop due to poor food handling.
    Chemicals found in processed and fermented foods (dyes and preservatives), wine, vinegar, soy sauce, tofu, etc.
    A diet high in refined sugars and other carbohydrates (e.g. candy, cookies, sodas, processed foods and white bread).
    Foods contaminated by parasites (pork, chicken, fresh water and hatchery fish).
    Antibiotic use-this causes an overgrowth of bacteria (yeast) in the gut due to the immune suppression that occurs.
    Ingestion of animal products that have been given hormonal and antibiotic treatments.
    NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs).
    Symptoms of Leaky Gut Syndrome
    Symptoms include arthritis, chronic fatigue, Candidiasis, bloating, food allergies, sinusitis, slow thought processes, headaches, lethargy, fluid retention, weight gain, diarrhoea and / or constipation, flatulence, IBS, food intolerance and many other gastric disturbances

The Steps to a Non Leaky Gut
    Don't eat sugar, refined carbohydrates, coffee, fatty foods. Also foods such as are dairy, eggs, gluten grains (wheat, oats, rye), corn, beans (especially soy), and nuts can often cause problems and some people are allergic to garlic also. Exposure to a significant allergy can sabotage the treatment. A non-allergenic diet can be obtained by eating meat, chicken, fish, vegetables, potatoes, rice, millet, and fruits.
    Avoid alcohol, especially unpasteurized beer which still has some yeast in it.
    Cleanse the gut of toxins.
    Eliminate the candida yeast and its roots in your gut.
    Eliminate any other parasites in your gut.
    Provide the right diet and supplements so your body can repair itself.
    Return the good bacteria to your gut. Lactobacillus Sporogenes can be particularly effective, or eat acidophillus yoghurt if dairy products are OK.
    Avoid NSAIDs if at all possible.
    Exercise for half an hour each day. Brisk walking is good.
    Drink pure water and lots of it!
    Weapons in the Fight Against Leaky Gut Syndrome.
    Shark Liver Oil.
    Co-enzyme Q10
    MSM.
    Olive Leaf Extract.
    Anti-oxidants such as vitamins A, C, E and beta carotene.Vitamin A Vitamin C 500 with Bioflavonoids Vitamin E 400 Beta-Carotene Antioxidant System
    mineral supplements particularly selenium.Selenium 200 Mcg
    Aloe Vera Juice or powdered leaf.Aloe Vera
    Lactobacillus supplements
    Colostrum
    Glutamine. Glutamine Fuel
    Digestive enzymes

The Mucous System's Role
    The mucous system in our nasal passages flushes bacteria and viral particles into our stomach where the HCl Acid should kill them. Any that get through to a normal gut should eventually be excreted. Of course a Leaky Gut will let them into the bloodstream.

Research has shown that, when available to it in sufficient levels, MSM (Methyl Sulfonyl Methane appears to coat all the mucus membranes of the body, creating a shield through which:

Air-borne allergy-causing contaminants such as household dust (mite faeces), pollens etc. can be shielded from entering the tissue of the lungs and nasal passages, thus reducing the affects of hay fever and asthma.
    Industrial contaminants such as exhaust gasses, solvents etc. are also hindered.
    Parasites, such as Cryptosporidium, giardia, salmonella, even hookworm can be dissuaded from entering the walls of the stomach and intestines. This coating can also provide a hostile living environment for parasites.
    Provide a shield to prevent the roots of the candida yeast culture from penetrating the intestine wall, thus reducing the severity of this disease.
    Undigested food and toxins are deterred from entering the blood stream through a leaky gut thus reducing one of the most common causes of allergies and auto-immune diseases. Given time, MSM will start to repair the damage causing the gut to leak.
    People with high blood pressure need to be careful of MSM and should consult their health professional before taking it.

8. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

thing sounds like me. I dont mean to be gross but sometimes I have diarreha, sometimes I'm constapated and sometimes it is just sticky/soft and it makes me so sore down there. Sorry about the details but it is so uncomfortable. I do have mucus in my stools sometimes and everything I eat..I get bloated up and miserable. I go to a "gas" doc Monday so he will probably put me thru those awful tests.
    Carlacat
  9. Connie3

Connie3 New Member

My doc just put me on zelnorm for ibs with the main symptom of constipation. It seems to be helping. I have major problems with colon and/or rectal spasms. They are awful.
    I would love to know exactly what I should and should not eat to help this. Good luck!
    Musicmaker
  10. Shirl

Shirl New Member

One thing I did not see mentioned (or I missed it), is stress. If I am stressed about something I will get the most horrible case of IBS in history!

I cannot see where weather plays a roll in this. Unless you are afraid and panicky about it.

Shalom, Shirl
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Be sure to keep it refrigerated after opening it. On my recent trip, I took a small cooler for my Jarro, my fish oil capsules, and my whey.

The Jarro-Dophilus contains FOS which ensures that the good bacteria make it to the intestines where they can colonize and make for a healthy balance in the gut. This is good for everyone past the age of 30 when the body starts to slow down production of good bacteria.

Love, Mikie
  12. tandy

tandy New Member

I've given out all my pointers on this issue!!I do take the Jarro brand probiotics.(they seem to have helped some).
    Also I wanted to tell ya that I found a great(so far)book at the library on IBS~Its called.....IBS Relief,a dr. and a dietitian provide a team approach to managing IBS. its written by Dawn Burstsall and Geoffrey Turnbull MD.
    I'll let ya know if its as good as it looks.
    Take care.........its a battle almost daily~
    ((Hugs)),
    Tracey
  13. Lynda B.

Lynda B. New Member

I have had it my whole life. It comes and goes for days or months or years. As I have gotton older, the pain has become much worse. I sometimes wonder why I don't pass out because the pain is so intense and I sweat buckets. I often end of losing a whole afternoon or morning due to a bathroom attack. Yes, it can feel horrible and yet have the simple name IBS.

Lynda B.