Question on leaving work and disabillity

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dorothy, Oct 1, 2002.

1. dorothy

dorothy New Member

I met with my therapist on Friday. I asked her about disability and she said, yeah I think you would be a good candidate, go ahead and file.... we went over my history and diagnoses to make sure her records were updated.... My friend (who applied a while ago)told me I had to have a letter from a doctor stating that they are putting me on total disabillity in order to leave my job.... Somehow i'm not sure that is the case. Well I called the therapist today to tell her I needed a note because I had to be out of work b/4 I could file and she said I needed to talk to my medical doctor.... that I probaly couldn't get it just for the mental health,,,, well no duh, I know that,,,, but she is the one in the first place to tell me to go ahead and file..... my medical doctor had told me to talk to the therapist in the first place.... it seams they are all passing the buck.... they will support it but not initiate it..... My question is> Can I give notice to my employer and then file.... or do I have to have a doctor put me out.... I can't habng on much longer

Please help
    Dorothy
  2. dorothy

dorothy New Member

I met with my therapist on Friday. I asked her about disability and she said, yeah I think you would be a good candidate, go ahead and file.... we went over my history and diagnoses to make sure her records were updated.... My friend (who applied a while ago)told me I had to have a letter from a doctor stating that they are putting me on total disabillity in order to leave my job.... Somehow i'm not sure that is the case. Well I called the therapist today to tell her I needed a note because I had to be out of work b/4 I could file and she said I needed to talk to my medical doctor.... that I probaly couldn't get it just for the mental health,,,, well no duh, I know that,,,, but she is the one in the first place to tell me to go ahead and file..... my medical doctor had told me to talk to the therapist in the first place.... it seams they are all passing the buck.... they will support it but not initiate it..... My question is> Can I give notice to my employer and then file.... or do I have to have a doctor put me out.... I can't habng on much longer

Please help
    Dorothy
  3. Dara

Dara New Member

not sure what the answer is. I would think you could just tell your employer you're leaving for medical reasons. Are you talking about SSD or a disability policy through your employer? But either way I don't think you would have to have a doctor's note. I left my job in November 2001 and what I did was request a one year unpaid leave of absence in the hopes that I would start getting better by not having the stresses of working every day. I have filed for WC, SSD and a private disabiltiy policy, nobody has asked me why I didn't have a doctors note. Of course, I haven't received any disability yet either. Let me know what you find out, also I'm wondering if it makes any difference as to what State you live in? I'm sure others here on the board will be answering you soon.

Darma
  4. alomasp

alomasp New Member

Don't know what state you are located in, but myself i live in tennessee, i have been dx. with FMS & OA, also severe depression & panic attacks. I was working 40+ hrs. aweek, i have had to reduce at the moment to 28 to 30 hrs.Now it's getting hard for me to work this much. so i checked into s.s. disability, my return answer was i had to be out of work for at least 6 months (at least).if i was out that long i would go bankrhurpt. personally i think it's a catch 22.
    My sister has sle (lupus) it took her over 2 years to recieve disability, she almost lost everything she had.Which in turn the stress didnot help her illness any.
    What can you do when you have to have an income, but you can't work, plus disabilty kinda forces you to?? any tips would be appreciated.
    thanks,Alomasp
  5. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

I lived & worked in CT. When I became too ill I moved to ME to be with my family. I had no idea I could even get disability. When somebody suggested it I just went to the local SS office & filed. I didn't even tell my work why I was leaving and I did not have a doc. to help me initially - I know they sent papers for all the docs. I saw to fill out. Then they set up an appt. with someone at SS to ask questions & fill out more paperwork. I was denied 2x and got a lawyer and won in front of a judge on my third try. I was fortunate to have my family to help w/ finances until I got my $.
  6. teach6

teach6 New Member

I left because I couldn't physically handle it any more. I thought if I stayed home a few days and rested I would feel better, but I didn't. The rule for my school system is that you must call the STD people on your fifth consecutive day of absence, so I did. I had no clue what was wrong, except that I had a low white count and an infected toe.

When I caled they asked me who took me out of work and I told them I did. The kept asking me and I kept telling them I did. We do not have to have a doctor's note to be absent. We are treated as professionals and if we say we need to be out that's all we need to do. I had filled out a leave slip and had called in after ther first day to say I would not be back.

Eventually you need a doctor's note, and actually a lot more, to get any kind of disability. After four months I finally had one.

Barbara