Question on Lyme and breathing

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by elliespad, Nov 23, 2010.

1. elliespad

elliespad Member

Does anyone with Lyme have a GREATLY reduced lung capacity? I have been having trouble breathing, short of breath, airway constriction for a couple months. Went to my ENT yesterday. My airway is only 20%, not good. Did a Spirometry, wasn't good. Gave me inhaler of Proventil then repeated the Spirometry, still not good. Said these numbers would be typical of a 3 pack a day smoker. I quit in 1982 at age 24. My capacity is down 36%. Even using the inhaler my function only improved 3%, basically nothing. I feel like I can't breathe. I have not had Asthma previously and he is not saying I have Asthma now. Allergies yes.

He showed a LOT of concern. Went today for a CT-Scan on my chest. Going tomorrow for a Barrium Swallow as I had a LOT of acid burns. More tests for Sleep again, later, but he wanted a look inside my chest first. I've had thyroid surgery twice because of Goiter causing trachael obstruction. Mine grew below my collarbone. It feels very similar. But, those times, my lung Spirometry was good.

I'm trying to figure anything out that might be causing this, short of a mass in me. Don't want that. Have a couple ideas I will throw at him when I see him again next month. But does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks, and YES, prayer is welcome.
  2. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Hi,

I do not have reduced lung capacity, but Babesia comes to mind when you say trouble breathing and shortness of breath.

Have you been evaluated or treated for Babesia? Migraines, fatigue and sweats are also common with Babesia, but not everyone has every symptom.

See pages 22, 23, 24, 26, 27 of this paper...

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf

Will say a prayer for you.

[This Message was Edited on 11/25/2010]
  3. elliespad

elliespad Member

I read through those pages and see some red flags. Ever since I got my Cortisone injection in my knee, a lot of things have flared. EXTREME joint pain, and the breathing stuff. Day2, 3, and 4, after the injection, I had a numbness, and big BUZZING feeling in every joint in my body, with extreme weakness. But, a week or two before the injection, I had 5 or 6 bites on the top of my foot that became infected as my flip flops rubbed on them. At the time I assumed them to be flea bites, but I don't really know.

Back in 1975 I got scratched DEEPLY by our cat, saving her from a cat fight and had to get a tetanus shot. I got SO SICK following that, feeling like I might actually die. For all these years, I assumed I got sick from the Tetanus shot and have NEVER had another vaccine, ever. Now, I wonder if I got infected from the cat scratch and has been the cause of my sickness all these years.

Anyway, last week I FINALLY made an appointment with Dr. M in Plattsburg, NY. Dr. M is a LLMD. Here's hoping.

Nanie, I love that you gently suggest to posters about the possibility of Lyme. You have a nice way about you with your Lyme education. Thanks.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/25/2010]
  4. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Hi,

Thank you for your kind words. I appreciate it. Sometimes people are not open to the idea at all, yet I often see all the red flags.

I am happy to hear that you have an appt with a LLMD.

Your history of a deep cat scratch with a severe illness following it is significant.

It sure sounds like you could have Bartonella among other things....maybe babesia too.

A flare after a cortisone shot sounds like lyme going crazy since steroids are the worst thing for lyme patients.

It would be a good idea to start at the beginning and write down your medical history/symptoms in chronological order as a summary for the LLMD.

My memory isn't so good....are you already on lymenet.org? So much good info there.

I'm not sure how much info you already have. If you want any more links/info just let me know.

Keep us posted!!

Take care!!

5. elliespad

elliespad Member

Just wanted to tell you, I haven't cancelled my appointment with Dr. M, yet, BUT, I will. I got an appointment with Dr. B in Rhinebeck for THIS COMING Wed, Dec. 22. He is a big name in these parts. I almost hope he tells me I DO have lyme/coinfections, as least there is treatment. Here's hoping. Now I've got to gather up any pertinent tests I've had over the years. Ugh.
  6. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Hi,

That's great!!

Besides taking past test results, I also wrote out a health history in chronological order for my LLMD because he requested it.

If you do that, make it easy to read, not long paragraghs.

for example:

Aug 1987: flu-like illness with very sore throat

Oct 1987: developed constant ache in right hip

Dec 1987: developed throbbing in every joint in my body which lasted for at least 2 weeks

Dec 1987: when joint throbbing stopped, muscle aches, stiffness, and sleep problems appeared

etc......

this helps the LLMD to see the bigger picture of what has happened to you over time.

Good luck to you!!

He will likely take a good history, do a thorough exam and order labs.

Please let me know how it goes. I'll be thinking about you.
  7. quackfan

quackfan New Member

You'll find a possible and sound explanation for your problem here:
    http://www.drlowe.com/jcl/comentry/breathingproblems.htm
    Try and test for thyroid hormone resistance.

Lyme and thyroid problems are connected, take a look at Dr Klinghardts article: "Lyme disease: A look beyond antibiotics" here:
    http://www.samento.com.ec/sciencelib/4lyme/KlinghardtArticle.pdf

All the best!

G.