Question on Mirapex

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sachmo, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Sachmo

Sachmo New Member

I saw my doctor today about a sinus infection.

I was talking to him that the Fibro has been so much worse the last couple of weeks.

He would like to start me on Mirapex after my sinus infection is better.

Does anyone have any experience with Mirapex?

I did some searching on the web and it has some pretty scary side affects. Also it has been prescribed for patients with Parkinson. This has been a big fear because my mother has Parkinsons and she has been difficult to help.

The doctor told me that I don't have Parkinsons because the muscle relaxers would not help if I had Parkinsons.

I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts or expierances

Thanks in advance for your comments
  2. rileyearl

rileyearl New Member

Hi Sachmo,

I take Mirapex for periodic limb movement (restless legs syndrome on steroids) and it works really well. The dose I take is .75mg once a day to make my legs stop kicking.

There are some doctors using Mirapex for fibro patients and having some success with it. The theraputic dose is a lot higher and it does have a hefty list of possible side effects.

I think your doctor is right about the muscle relaxors not working, if you had Parkinsons. I think you're right to really do some research and to also find out if your doctor has other patients using Mirapex at the higher dose to treat fibro. When patients start on it, they start at a really low dose and gradually increase it. There is a Dr. Andrew Holman in Renton, Wa who has done research on this use for Mirapex. You might see what he has written about it.

Take care!

Francie